SportsWrath

How exactly does emmons suck?

Herc

I have to admit, Emmons has played well. And I was bashing him all preseason. Then again, my bitch with him wasn't what he was doing on the field, it was him staying on the field. If he can do that, then I will be delighted to be wrong. Again. :)

None of our LBs including Peirce has played well so far. Hell.. with the exception of Fred Robbins and Kuianuka, everyone has underachieved.

Tackles aren't indicative. What good is the tackle if it comes 13 yards later?

that reflects badly on the defensive line, not the linebackers--and we're not giving up a lot of big gains on the ground like 13 yards. we're only giving up 3.1 yards per carry. and tackles are the best statistical indicators of a good linebacker.

normally i don't like emmons. i wanted him cut in the offseason and i wanted torbor in the starting lineup. the guy never stays healthy and i dont trust him to be reliable all season, but i can't really complain about his performance through these two games

He got his pants taken off on Westbrook's touchdown run.

I think this defense is a lot better than 29th in the league.

The LB's are definitely underperforming. Both Peyton and McNabb picked the Giants apart with short passes.

yeah but they're two of the top 3 qbs in football and westbrook's super quick. and i agree with you, this d is better than 29th in the league but we have 6 new starters and it might take a little while for them to gel. we aren't mixing kiwanuka in there enough either, he creates pressure when he's in there. lewis also isn't blitzing enough either

The inside passes to TEs have killed us. And when we've had the inside covered, there has been someone wide open on the outside. How can you rush only 4 and have someone that wide open?

that's due to lewis' scheme. the eagles figured out the soft spots of the giants zone defense and exploited it--smith NEVER gets that many throws and there's a reason why last sunday was an exception. if lewis can't figure out by now that we're not a good zone blitzing team then he'll never learn. it's not like emmons was playing man-to-man on LJ smith all game

As much as I have no problem with Emmons playing well, I think that if the Giants had a choice between starting a vet who's been underperforming, as opposed to a young player who is playing well and on the way up, that Coughlin will start the vet every time. I think the Giants feel that they have to play the guy that they are paying big bucks to first. Reggie Torbor improved last year and did well when we had all the injuries and Emmons didn't play all that good when he was healthy, so I thought that going into this year that Torbor would start and I'm not sure why he isn't. I think the same for Sam madison, as bad as he's played so far, and I was so happy when they got him, but I think he'll start every game this season for the reason I noted above. Some other teams will not do this.

If Emmons plays at this level all season, then we lucked out so God Bless him.

As much as I have no problem with Emmons playing well, I think that if the Giants had a choice between starting a vet who's been underperforming, as opposed to a young player who is playing well and on the way up, that Coughlin will start the vet every time. I think the Giants feel that they have to play the guy that they are paying big bucks to first. Reggie Torbor improved last year and did well when we had all the injuries and Emmons didn't play all that good when he was healthy, so I thought that going into this year that Torbor would start and I'm not sure why he isn't. I think the same for Sam madison, as bad as he's played so far, and I was so happy when they got him, but I think he'll start every game this season for the reason I noted above. Some other teams will not do this.

If Emmons plays at this level all season, then we lucked out so God Bless him.

i dont see him staying on the field all season. and i'm with you on torbor. i was so high on torbor that i was looking forward to emmons getting cut in the offseason, however i can't complain about how he's played so far

torbor won't see the field this year. if anyone replaces emmons its either short or wilkinson.

also, emmons isnt a pass rusher, they're not going to send him past the d-line, so nas' comment about his tackles being 15 yards beyond the line (which is an extreme over exaggeration in the first place) are clearly not his fault. if our d-line were performing, emmons would have 0 tackles this year. his job is more of a cover linebacker, someone who's going to stay in his zone. his job isnt to penetrate. that's what we have lavar and pierce for, along with osi and strahan.

torbor won't see the field this year. if anyone replaces emmons its either short or wilkinson.

also, emmons isnt a pass rusher, they're not going to send him past the d-line, so nas' comment about his tackles being 15 yards beyond the line (which is an extreme over exaggeration in the first place) are clearly not his fault. if our d-line were performing, emmons would have 0 tackles this year. his job is more of a cover linebacker, someone who's going to stay in his zone. his job isnt to penetrate. that's what we have lavar and pierce for, along with osi and strahan.

The quarterback can still throw the ball even with pressure from the def line. I'm not sure what people consider good play on this board. a defensive line can't sack the quarterback all day and can't stop the run all day, so somebody has to tackle after them. If Emmons is dropping back in coverage and tackling tight ends crossing over the middle, then he's doing his job. The eagles sacked us 8 times last Sunday, and shawn barber had eight tackles at linebacker. The defensive line playing well is not a good barometer to judge tackling in other areas. Does anybody remember San diego last year?