SportsWrath

Kayvon had wrist surgery, “there is a chance he returns this season”

Mr. P

Even though there is a chance Thibodeaux can return this season, he is “week to week,” said Daboll. That means he won’t play Sunday night at home against the Bengals, as the 2-3 Giants try to build on last week’s upset victory in Seattle.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2024/10/giants-kayvon-thibodeaux-likely-to-miss-multiple-games-after-wrist-surgery-when-might-he-return.html

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/scaphoid-fracture-of-the-wrist/

A scaphoid (navicular) fracture is a break in one of the small bones (carpal bones) of the wrist. This type of fracture occurs most often after a fall onto an outstretched hand.

Symptoms of a scaphoid fracture typically include swelling and pain in the wrist just below the base of the thumb. Pinching, grasping, pushing, and pulling often make pain worse.

Treatment for a scaphoid fracture can range from casting to surgery. Optimal treatment can depend on the fracture's severity (how bad the break is) and location in the bone. Because parts of the scaphoid have a poor blood supply — and a fracture can further disrupt (slow or stop) the flow of blood to the bone — complications with the healing process are more common in scaphoid fractures than in fractures of other bones.

He could probably play if it was fractured in another part of the hand, but this makes sense. 

2 hours ago, jranieli said:

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/scaphoid-fracture-of-the-wrist/

He could probably play if it was fractured in another part of the hand, but this makes sense. 

I had a scaphoid fracture of my left wrist in August 1988 after having a drunk driver cut off my motorcycle making an illegal left hand turn at an intersection.  I hit his right rear fender and flew over his trunk and landed on my hands and ass.  The horizon reversed like Biles on uneven bars.  And I still only have 85-90% range of motion in that wrist.  I am left handed.  It is a major fracture.  I had surgery and was in various casts for six FUCKING MONTHS... and a 9 MONTHS OF INTENSIVE physical therapy.  It is not to be sneezed at and it would affect all areas of his life.  If it was me I would sit out the season.  There is no way IMHO and experience to immobilize and/or cushion this fracture.  It is a bone in the wrist that does not get a lot of blood supply so they usually recommend surgery and bone grafts.  Just leaving it in a cast to "heal" usually ends up in a bad healing situation.  It is one tough fracture.