SportsWrath

So here’s what I’m thinking

JayD

Good day gentlemen. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get on here much since the season began. I started a CDL school, so I’ve been jumping through hoops getting it going. 

Anyhow, obviously the first few games, like many of you, had me thinking it was another 3-4 win season. Just good enough to not get our future QB in the draft. 

What I saw last Sunday though has me slightly leaning towards this season being salvageable. First, and to me is the reason we are not 4-1 right now, Danny suddenly was able to drop a dime on deep balls. In the weeks prior he wasn’t able, and was the difference between winning and losing. Key to the rest of this season is which Danny shows up week to week. If he can keep playing the way he did Sunday, this is going to be a tough team to beat. 

Second, how about this O-line? They are obviously the reason Danny and the wide receivers have time to even go deep. And they seem to get better each passing week. 

Third the defense is playing very well. Leads the league in sacks. And the secondary is playing very well. Funny what happens when you can pressure a QB. 

I think it’s possible we make a run from here. 

Lastly who the hell is that rookie running back? He played with the spirit of a young man, and the wisdom of someone who’s been in the league 5 years. At minimum he needs to be moved to #2, and split time with Singletary till he proves otherwise. 

Anyhow just my two cents. Trying to keep the optimism long as I can lol. 

The win against Seattle, I am a little more optimistic. The offensive line is stable and that is very important for this team. I saw Bobby Johnson's Washington's offensive line is rated one of the worse in the league. 

The defense has just been phenomenal.   You throw out the game 1 clunker and they’re giving up 19 points per game, which is just a little shy of the teams we knew would have elite defenses. They’ve given up 49 fewer points through the same number of games than last year.   Even if you count the first games in both seasons, they are giving up an average of 10 less points per game. The defensive improvement is stunning. 

Jones still has a lot to prove. Considering the protection (teams ranks 13th in sacks allowed per game). And the weapons he has, I personally think he should be lighting it up a little more. But he’s showing with help he is an adequate game manager that can show flashes. 

The interesting thing to me is how few yards he is losing when sacked.   He is number one (lowest) in yards lost per sack.   He is a full half yard lower than 2nd place. For context he’s 2.5 yards below league average. 

in really curious to hear some opinions/analysis from people here more knowledgeable for why this is?  

Is he playing closer to the line of scrimmage, going down faster/not trying to extend plays, in general making quicker decisions?  Is just really interesting to me. 

And it does seem to be a bit of an indicator. For example:  the top 5 QBs in this stat have a Passing Rating average of 99.76. The bottom five have a 89. Of course Jones brings his groups average down. QBR grouped this way has the same trend. Meaning on average, the better QBs in this league lose less yards per sack. What I can’t explain is why Jones, who by every other metric is playing exactly middle of the road, is so substantially better at this stat than everyone else. 

Jones is playing better as late...no question.  I was entrenched in camp "move on" but games like the last week or two make you second guess that stance.

Why is he playing better?  He is trusting his protection more and has reason to do so.  If he gets his deep ball back consistently AND can still buy time or pick up 4 or 5 yards here or there with his legs, that only adds to our offense.

Also, we are getting significant impact from 2024 draft class on both sides of ball. 

All that said, I still am unconvinced Jones is the guy.  He is just meh for me.  Good, not great.  1 great game for every bad one...one great throw for every wtf moment.  He will never live up to draft position or contract...but Giants had little choice given timing.

We have good pieces...and we may just play ourselves outta a top 10 pick

I still have us as a 6-win or so team. 

The Good: 

- Offensive line looks like a legit top-10 unit, and is playing very well together. 

- This rookie class has overperformed to this point and may save Schoen's job. Malik Nabers is already a star. 

- Dexter Lawrence is a flat-out beast, and Andrew Thomas is not far behind him. Slayton is ol' reliable at this point. 

The Bad: 

- Deontae Banks has put together exactly one good game against a WR that while talented, does tend to disappear for games at a time.  Approaching decent #2 corner status but he's still not very good yet and I'm not a believer.

- Brian Burns is overpaid and underproducing.  His two big plays this year came from being unblocked on a rush and from beating a literal 3rd string RT.  Completely unacceptable; I expect zero impact out of him this week vs. Orlando Brown.  

- Daniel Jones is cooked.  He's a competent game manager, nothing more.  We need to do much better there if we want to be an actual competitive football team.  If in year six you're still saying "what do we have in Daniel Jones?" you have your answer. 

-Coaching staff WTF?  They've lost us two games by my count so far; one by (once again) playing an injured kicker and another by getting away from duo and power concepts on offense to run a zone scheme against the league's worst rushing defense (Dallas).  This line doesn't run zone schemes well.  Also they've clearly not learned anything since Eric Gray is still our KR.  How many times should they be kicked in the dick before they listen?