SportsWrath

Good dive into how Jones hurt not helped the Giants on Thursday.

BlueInCanada

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

20 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Like I said in the gameday thread, his deep ball is shot.  He can be a backup/game manager type from this point on but his career as an NFL starter is effectively over. 

I concur... roll out the Tank...

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

So the Redskins with a rookie QB have scored on like 10 straight drives now an NFL RECORD.

And we're stuck with Jones.

FFS.

But hey, think of all those great Tommy DeVito wins you'll be telling your kids about.

18 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

But hey, think of all those great Tommy DeVito wins you'll be telling your kids about.

Granted I'm happy with how things shook out getting Nabers.

A rookie QB and no Nabers would probably be the same situation with what's going on now.

Atleast we are pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick at this rate. 

A rookie QB with Nabers is an ideal world.

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Granted I'm happy with how things shook out getting Nabers.

A rookie QB and no Nabers would probably be the same situation with what's going on now.

Atleast we are pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick at this rate. 

A rookie QB with Nabers is an ideal world.

A real veteran QB, a good college QB prospect and Malik Nabers means at least four or five years at least of playoff contention and two Super Bowls.

7 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

A real veteran QB, a good college QB prospect and Malik Nabers means at least four or five years at least of playoff contention and two Super Bowls.

I would of loved for Schoen to go after Minshew or Dalton last off season.

Go get a vet to back up Jones.

I understand Cutlets showed some promise but he's at best a practice squad/#3 guy.

And a guy like Lock hasn't been around the league enough or won enough to really be a backup. 

I just don't understand the fascination with running a guy like Dimes with no back up plan. 

13 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I understand Cutlets showed some promise but he's at best a practice squad/#3 guy.

And a guy like Lock hasn't been around the league enough or won enough to really be a backup. 

I just don't understand the fascination with running a guy like Dimes with no back up plan. 

I think it can be chalked up to Mara interfering with football operations as if he were his daddy Wellington Mara.  Minshew or Dalton would have been a good fit.  I think Daboll gets his late option to finally have his "own" QB next season.  Putting all of this money into this guy also split the locker room badly as more than half of the players wanted serious money to go to Barkley.  I would have given neither break through money as Barkley has always lacked vision.  Every run is a 90 yard TD for him.  Barkley hates grind it out three yards and a cloud of dust.  He has no vision and is not patient... but he is a much better RB than DJ is as a QB.

12 hours ago, Firstnten said:

I can't believe this place is still up and running. Jones sucks. He has a six year sample size of suck.

Without a doubt... you have been watching the Giants longer than me... I have been a fan since 1968 and DJ sucks just as bad as Pisarcik from the 1970s... he is better personality wise but sucks as a player.  We had Tarkenton (Vikings) and Craig Morton (Broncos) as QB's before Pisarcik so we even knew what good QB's were in the 70's and early 80's.  DJ is not now nor ever will be it.  :)

On 9/30/2024 at 9:01 AM, BlueInCanada said:

My hot take is he figured if Jones wasn’t the guy, not a lot of sense in having a competent backup like Dalton who could win a handful of games and throw draft position off. 

I know people say GMs don’t tend to leverage against a tank, but Shoen learned what it would take to move up there spots for the third QB in the draft. If his got is there next year, he’s not letting Andy fucking Dalton make it harder to move up. 

18 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

My hot take is he figured if Jones wasn’t the guy, not a lot of sense in having a competent backup like Dalton who could win a handful of games and throw draft position off. 

I know people say GMs don’t tend to leverage against a tank, but Shoen learned what it would take to move up there spots for the third QB in the draft. If his got is there next year, he’s not letting Andy fucking Dalton make it harder to move up. 

His picks have been all over the place IMHO but this analysis seems spot on knowing the decisions of upper management.  They tend to think in terms of four to five years where everyone else looks to every season.  Mara being so involved with football operations and apparently wedded to DJ (at least it looks that way from the outside) does not help. 

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

My hot take is the GM liked him so he signed him to the extension. 

I really think its a combination of the owner liking him and the GM not wanting to buck the owner (bad thing to do) and found reasons to roll with DJ.  The coach has to roll with those decisions.  Daboll is adequate IMHO.  Just not the Second Coming.  I guess we will find out five or ten years down the line the full or fuller story.

You know what else is interesting. We passed on QB's in that 2018 draft, and it was looking like a weak QB draft class excluding Josh Allen...but all of a sudden Baker Mayfield is a good QB and Sam Darnold looks like he's going to be the MVP this year, lol.

And we had to have Saquon.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

You know what else is interesting. We passed on QB's in that 2018 draft, and it was looking like a weak QB draft class excluding Josh Allen...but all of a sudden Baker Mayfield is a good QB and Sam Darnold looks like he's going to be the MVP this year, lol.

Bad GMs who commit bad decisions are one of the many reasons why we've been one of the worst teams in the NFL for a decade+

21 hours ago, mastershake said:

21 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Bad GMs who commit bad decisions are one of the many reasons why we've been one of the worst teams in the NFL for a decade+

This... the RB position is no longer an elite position.  That is so pre 2005 at best.  You can get a midlevel or late round RB with a good line and consistently get that guy at least a 1000 yards a year.  Saquon was a badly wasted pick.  I would never pick an RB above the 3-4th rounds.  Its a no brainer for me.  As to a lousy offensive line you build it up from veteran middling players and first round prospects.  A mixture of both.  The Giants have lived on bringing in the first round savior lineman and the NFL is very much different from college.  Everyone is good to elite.  So you need a veteran or two to show you the ropes.  QB prospects who are drafted highly either have it or don't.  DJ needed a veteran in place to show him the rope his first three years.  Even then he would just be a game manager at best. 

DJ does not have it and should never have been thrust into the role of savior.  This is not the fault of DJ and/or Saquon.  The fuck ups are on the owner and the general manager in the front office.  How could you do worse than giving it all to a Belichick type.  How could you do worse?  I am sick of this is not the GIANTS WAY bullshit.  Maybe you need to combine the GM/HC and move on.  Just doing it the same way as always is the height of insanity.  At least Reese was the head scout and probably would never have drafted Saquon so high and/or DJ.  He was not the Second Coming but was better than Gettleman and I think better than Schoen.  The Mara half owner needs to stick to owning as he knows fuck all about the game. He is no better than us fans with more information.  He is no Wellington Mara.

This came to me the other day not sure if anyone will agree but here goes Wellington Mara dies in 2005. Ernie Accorsi, Tom Coughlin and Manning where already with the franchise. I think 2006 Accorsi left Reece his protégée took over at GM.  You had a what 10 year span where Wellington Maras decisions the guys he put in place won Superbowl's and then aged out skill guys got old and Reese made a bunch of bad draft picks etc. the one constant in all of that John Mara IMO it looks to me like he is the one who personally turned this franchise into a laughing stock. Five different coaches since 2016.....

Side note after watching hard knocks does anyone else feel like Schone is a complete tool bag? He didn't trade Barkley by the March dead line and basically let him go to a division rival?  why because he "felt" that the market wouldn't yield a contract over 10 mil per year. The worst is watching this guy put the eagles on his back  and carry them  to two victories so far this year.

2 hours ago, Firstnten said:

This came to me the other day not sure if anyone will agree but here goes Wellington Mara dies in 2005. Ernie Accorsi, Tom Coughlin and Manning where already with the franchise. I think 2006 Accorsi left Reece his protégée took over at GM.  You had a what 10 year span where Wellington Maras decisions the guys he put in place won Superbowl's and then aged out skill guys got old and Reese made a bunch of bad draft picks etc. the one constant in all of that John Mara IMO it looks to me like he is the one who personally turned this franchise into a laughing stock. Five different coaches since 2016.....

Side note after watching hard knocks does anyone else feel like Schone is a complete tool bag? He didn't trade Barkley by the March dead line and basically let him go to a division rival?  why because he "felt" that the market wouldn't yield a contract over 10 mil per year. The worst is watching this guy put the eagles on his back  and carry them  to two victories so far this year.

Wellington Mara had the knowledge and built up the NFL from 1950 onward.  One of the greatest owners ever in any sport.  I think things took a dark turn after he died.  Once people started aging out it was mostly over for an era.  An NFL team is a sum of parts... not so much individual members.  Every cog or most of them have to be good to excellent to go deep into the playoffs and Super Bowl.  Without this... we are bereft and forlorn.  John Mara is an albatross... Schoen is dude who is the epitome of the Peter Principle... he should not be a head GM, maybe an assistant.  Reese was a better head scout than GM, and he was able to retool with a team in place.  He can't rebuild from scratch.  That being said I would take Reese back and old line Giants coaches along with Wellington in a heartbeat.  I grew up with Wellington for sure.

On 9/30/2024 at 9:01 AM, BlueInCanada said:

We couldn't afford a quality backup at QB because we gave 40 million dollars this year to Captain Zero.