SportsWrath

Why would we prepare for this?

Mr. P

13 hours ago, jranieli said:

I don't understand. There isn't a back up kicker on the roster. They would have to do tryouts. If he wasn't feeling good yesterday, I don't think they would have time. Maybe they should have gone with a younger kicker in the offseason and not worry about this. 

Gano was on the injury report on Saturday. They had time to figure it out. They made the choice to roll the dice on Gano's health. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So giants only had 52 players on the active roster.   

they could have had an extra kicker without even needing to cut anyone. 

yup. Pathetic roster management.

3 hours ago, Herc said:

Not putting all the blame on gano, but this is twice we’ve lost due to him trying to play through unplayable injuries.  How’s he hurt so fucking much anyway 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The staff knew he was hurt.  

“fool me once, shame on you” right?

Inexcusable at this level... this is not a high school JV squad that has at most twenty guys playing three positions each...

58 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Inexcusable at this level... this is not a high school JV squad that has at most twenty guys playing three positions each...

Which is why SOMEBODY on that roster should be able to kick an extra point in an emergency.  I bet half the team did it in high school 

6 minutes ago, Herc said:

Which is why SOMEBODY on that roster should be able to kick an extra point in an emergency.  I bet half the team did it in high school 

Like why not have Gillian kick a bunch of extra points in practice so he's ready for gameday just in case. 

In the CFL kickers are punters and punters are kickers, typically.

Whey the NFL hasn't adopted the trend yet is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Like why not have Gillian kick a bunch of extra points in practice so he's ready for gameday just in case. 

I always found this strange too.  You can save a whole roster spot 

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

They have become too overspecialized... the NFL loves playing guys who do one thing well.  There are millions of soccer guys who can kick a ball.

6 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Bet they either have one on practice squad or a rolladex of kickers at the ready if needed

This... no one gives a kicker like Gano a second chance to fuck up with mind bending injuries like last year when he lost a Jets game because he could not kick well because of a groin pull.

I dont mind a team trusting a player and giving them a chance to give it a go, but you gotta be ready in case he cant or shouldnt play.

I swear...Bill B gets credit for being some genius...but I think half his genius is just being double or triple prepared for 100 differwnt scenarios that might happen regardless of how minute the chances.

Its been a couple days and I still cant fathom how we overlooked it on Sunday.  I keep coming back to the possibility that Daboll is guaranteed to be here in 2025 and this is us tanking while trying not to look like it

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I dont mind a team trusting a player and giving them a chance to give it a go, but you gotta be ready in case he cant or shouldnt play.

I swear...Bill B gets credit for being some genius...but I think half his genius is just being double or triple prepared for 100 differwnt scenarios that might happen regardless of how minute the chances.

Its been a couple days and I still cant fathom how we overlooked it on Sunday.  I keep coming back to the possibility that Daboll is guaranteed to be here in 2025 and this is us tanking while trying not to look like it

This was his second time saying he could work it through.  Groin and hamstring pulls are not something you work through.  I have had a hamstring pull since high school.  43 years ago.

11 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

This was his second time saying he could work it through.  Groin and hamstring pulls are not something you work through.  I have had a hamstring pull since high school.  43 years ago.

Oh...I know.  Which is why I think it is such an inexcusable thing that it almost has to be on purpose.  Lets run this risk...if we lose, we cheer quietly behind closed doors.  If we win, we cheer loudly in public and think about ways to lose next week (quietly behind closed doors)

7 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Oh...I know.  Which is why I think it is such an inexcusable thing that it almost has to be on purpose.  Lets run this risk...if we lose, we cheer quietly behind closed doors.  If we win, we cheer loudly in public and think about ways to lose next week (quietly behind closed doors)

I can not imagine Perkins, Parcells, Fassell, or Coughlin accepting this bullshit.  Like you write there would have been a replacement all teed up and another kicker on call.  This is unacceptable at this level.  This is not High School football.

54 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I can not imagine Perkins, Parcells, Fassell, or Coughlin accepting this bullshit.  Like you write there would have been a replacement all teed up and another kicker on call.  This is unacceptable at this level.  This is not High School football.

I dont think so either...but the game has changed so much that i wouldnt put it past teams to take extremem measures to have a chance to get that much needed qb when you know you dont have one

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

I dont think so either...but the game has changed so much that i wouldnt put it past teams to take extremem measures to have a chance to get that much needed qb when you know you dont have one

In this situation bro.. we have to do another Kerry Collins with a good college prospect waiting to get in.  Anything short of Nabers and/or Thomas should be on the block for a trade.  Even draft picks should be up,  Anything but a first rounder perhaps a second rounder.  We have to move by this off season.  Another season of this is unacceptable.