SportsWrath

Camp

Mr. P

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

I do agree though.

The Oline has been a problem since Eli has going into his twilight years.

Ever single GM and coach have said "WE WILL FIX IT!"

Yet here we are, Jones getting sacked an NFL record number of times and praying that Schoen/Dabs and the new Oline coach have FINALLY gotten it right.

I believe Jones is cooked though as a result.  Hope the line is better for the next guy.

Looking back...missing on Jones and taking Barkley at 2 being a luxury pick were not great selections...as much as Barkley was an exciting pick.  Both set the team back about as much as Jones winning that playoff game.

14 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I believe Jones is cooked though as a result.  Hope the line is better for the next guy.

Looking back...missing on Jones and taking Barkley at 2 being a luxury pick were not great selections...as much as Barkley was an exciting pick.  Both set the team back about as much as Jones winning that playoff game.

This squared ...

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

You can't blame him for Neal though, he was the unanimous pick among EVERY pundit that he was the best RT in the draft who was ready to play day one. 

Well I mean... the Panthers didn't think so.

Actually the first three tackles off the board that year, Icky, Neal and Cross have all horribly under performed for where they were drafted.

So maybe the moral of the story is, the draft is still just as much of a crap shoot as well...craps. 

11 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Well I mean... the Panthers didn't think so.

yeah, but they're the Panthers. As bad as the Giants have been, Carolina is the one franchise we can point and laugh at. 

Kind of funny how downhill the Panthers went after Gettleman, LOL. 

Ekwonu had a pretty decent rookie season, which is more than you can say for Neal.  He was my #1 rated tackle that year but yeah... neither has been very good to this point. 

18 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I do agree though.

The Oline has been a problem since Eli has going into his twilight years.

Ever single GM and coach have said "WE WILL FIX IT!"

Yet here we are, Jones getting sacked an NFL record number of times and praying that Schoen/Dabs and the new Oline coach have FINALLY gotten it right.

Yep. This year though, I feel better with having guys like Van Roten, Schlottmann, Stinnie as backups and depth pieces (looks like Van Roten is starting for now), than I do versus last year for instance with guys like Ezeudu, McKethan, Peart, Tyre Phillips. It feels like we finally have depth. Also, beat writers keep raving about Kotas...we'll see with him. Too early to tell.

Plus the hope is Runyan Jr and Eluemanor are at least capable starters. Just be a starting capable lineman in the NFL, that's all I'm asking for!

Part of the issue as I see it as not having had at least journeyman guys ahead of the highly sought after rookies to show them the ropes.  This is not D1 football where you play half your games against Ass For Nothing University.  All of the teams in the NFL are more or less at a base level.

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Part of the issue as I see it as not having had at least journeyman guys ahead of the highly sought after rookies to show them the ropes.  This is not D1 football where you play half your games against Ass For Nothing University.  All of the teams in the NFL are more or less at a base level.

Yep. It's also, clearly the college game has evolved where the offenses are so many spread/timing offenses, with like quick 3 second drops, where the OL may not as frequently need to protect the QB for as long as they need to in the NFL. Therefore, when they get to the pro level, they need a year or two to learn pro sets. It's rare where you get pro level ready lineman. Even Andrew Thomas took a year to get into a groove and assimilate to the NFL level.

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yep. It's also, clearly the college game has evolved where the offenses are so many spread/timing offenses, with like quick 3 second drops, where the OL may not as frequently need to protect the QB for as long as they need to in the NFL. Therefore, when they get to the pro level, they need a year or two to learn pro sets. It's rare where you get pro level ready lineman. Even Andrew Thomas took a year to get into a groove and assimilate to the NFL level.

For sure... timing offenses have ruined many young linemen.  Count to three then disengage... does not work in the NFL.  Can you imagine Leonard Marshall and Lawrence Taylor working on a purely time offense run by Montana... they would have never sacked him.  Linemen have to maintain their blocks for at least 4-6 seconds in the NFL.

So I guess this means Flott will be joining Aaron Robinson and Sam Beal in our long list of recent 3rd round CB draft pick busts?

With Dru Phillips not too far behind him most likely.

I am just glad the NYG Beat Writers aren't bullshitting/gaslighting us again on these Giants CB like they did in training camp in prior years, where they really tried to pump up 6th round picks like Hawkins or Rodarius Williams and others like they were the second coming of Ty Law or Aaron Glenn or something, lol. I'm glad they've finally come to touch with reality.