SportsWrath

Giants sign Herndon

Mr. P

Definitely needed depth.

I'm surprised Adoree Jackson didn't land anywhere. Figure a team would give him a 1 year $2M or so deal or something like that. He's a solid #2 or #3 corner. Perhaps the constant injuries turned them off?

Not sure about Herndon. In 2023, he was targeted 62 times, with 47 completions (75%) for 500 yards and 3TDs 0 INTS, for a passer rating of 115. 2022 was worse with a passer rating of 117 against him. Not sure how to square this with PFF's ratings on him.

47 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Definitely needed depth.

I'm surprised Adoree Jackson didn't land anywhere. Figure a team would give him a 1 year $2M or so deal or something like that. He's a solid #2 or #3 corner. Perhaps the constant injuries turned them off?

Not sure about Herndon. In 2023, he was targeted 62 times, with 47 completions (75%) for 500 yards and 3TDs 0 INTS, for a passer rating of 115. 2022 was worse with a passer rating of 117 against him. Not sure how to square this with PFF's ratings on him.

It's why you never hear a coach/scout/anyone really in the actually team side of the NFL talk about PFF at all, it's just a rating system made up by a bunch of fans/part time statisticians who got popular. 

Look at Banks, he routinely played well against some of the top WRs last year. 

PFF would have you believe he's a worse corner than Flott by 3.3% 

PFF is about as reflective of NFL talent as daily horoscopes are to predicting your day. 

22 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's why you never hear a coach/scout/anyone really in the actually team side of the NFL talk about PFF at all, it's just a rating system made up by a bunch of fans/part time statisticians who got popular. 

PFF is about as reflective of NFL talent as daily horoscopes are to predicting your day. 

Yep. That's why I like to look at the actual passing stats against the Corners, though even that needs to be caveated; for instance, it doesn't give us a read on how many times the ball wasn't thrown at the CB because the CB had good coverage, and the QB went elsewhere or was sacked.

PFF I believe also looks overall, unless you're subscribed. Doesn't give pass coverage vs run coverage without subscription. 

At any rate, 

- Flott: 34 completions / 57 targets, 59.6% completion, for 440 yards and 3TDs with 1 INT. Passer rating of 94

- Banks: 53 completions / 96 targets, 55.2% completion, for 606 yards and 4TDs with 2 INT. Passer rating of 79

Banks in coverage just on passes thrown their way appears much better than Flott. A QB who has a passer rating of 94 is pretty darn good, while a rating of 79 is mediocre.

37 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

but if it’s positive about a giant, it WILL get posted. 

27 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Well this is a Giants fan forum lol 

But yes I do see the hypocrisy in it. 

I’m not excluding me from it either lol.  

9 hours ago, mastershake said:

Definitely needed depth.

Yeah this is nothing to get excited about, he fucking sucks.

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Banks did not play super well last year, especially against top talent. Garrett Wilson fucking destroyed the guy, and the Eagles WRs ate him alive too. I know there were a handful of other games I came away from thinking he didn't look good.

Another example of "hope as a strategy." Not only is he our #1 cb next year, but we don't even have a legit #2 on their roster because we're "hoping one of the young guys develops." A double hope.

Plus we threw a billion dollars at "good not great" Brian Burns, so it's not like we have money to sign good players. Let's hope he plays better than he's ever played before!

We have a good chance to be a bottom-5 defense again. Dex and arguably Okreke are the only 2 sure things on that side of the ball.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Banks did not play super well last year, especially against top talent. Garrett Wilson fucking destroyed the guy, and the Eagles WRs ate him alive too. I know there were a handful of other games I came away from thinking he didn't look good.

Another example of "hope as a strategy." Not only is he our #1 cb next year, but we don't even have a legit #2 on their roster because we're "hoping one of the young guys develops." A double hope.

Plus we threw a billion dollars at "good not great" Brian Burns, so it's not like we have money to sign good players. Let's hope he plays better than he's ever played before!

We have a good chance to be a bottom-5 defense again. Dex and arguably Okreke are the only 2 sure things on that side of the ball.

Burns didnt have Thibs or a Dex on the DL and he still played great last year I thought - though the stats might not leap out off the page. And the kids what 26?? He might not even have hit his prime. I think we got a damn good deal with Burns. Watch edge rusher salaries going through the roof soon.

11 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

AJ Brown only had one catch for seven yards until Banks got hurt.

I didn't say he played "super well" but for a first year rookie CB who liked up against the other teams best he played well especially as the season went on.

He only allowed 40 of his 400 some odd yards given up on the year in the last six games.