SportsWrath

Oh lordy its happening! Brian Burns to the Giants (rumor)

6 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Is it Burns or the scheme?  Nit picking sides but in having a hard time understanding how the defense was apparently designed and what scheme they went with in the defensive coordinator. Not going to pretend I’m an X’s and O’s savant that can tell you his win rate in any given situation. But praising the QB Dora not seem to be the priority of the defensive scheme. 

could be that’ that it’s just so ineffective it appears that way. But not a lot of designed pressure going on. 

Its a scheme designed to read and react.  The Defensive linemen are supposed to hold things in front of them so that the line backers can clean up.  Only blitzing with linemen or safeties.  No stunts from the defensive line.  A drastic change from last year.    Last year due to the defensive coordinator it was more an attacking style.  With out secondary we need the DL to pressure the QB. 

21 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I don't think it's the scheme. Brian Burns is playing like Brian Burns. 

I think it is both man... really.  Replace linemen with linebackers.  He only blitzes with line backers.  Linemen are to contain the run and occupy their blockers.  Thibs is too light for the NFL defensive line and gets pushed around extensively.  Burns is a fair to good defensive lineman being paid as a top prospect and needs a consistent player on the other side to complement him.  He is a clean up rusher in that the other side pushes the QB toward him.  IMHO he does not create his own mayhem.  The next two drafts is where the action is anyway.  These are just holding actions.

18 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Definitely a playing with a lead kind of pass rusher.

20 hours ago, jranieli said:

I think he would be playing better if the team was 3-1 instead. 

18 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think he would be playing better if he was Nick Bosa.

He is a downhill edge rusher who needs another guy on the other side and is not all world but on a decent line would be the number 3 guy in sacks/pressures.  Good for a good team but fool's gold for an ostensibly bad team.