SportsWrath

Oh lordy its happening! Brian Burns to the Giants (rumor)

8 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

So far we've paid over a million dollars per pressure for Brian Burns. Absolutely unacceptable. There are zero excuses when you're making this kind of money.

Thibs has been underwhelming too.

Schoen is a sham. If we lose 11 or more games, Daboll and Schoen are gone.

4 hours ago, mastershake said:

Thibs has been underwhelming too.

Schoen is a sham. If we lose 11 or more games, Daboll and Schoen are gone.

I preferred Jerry Reese that everyone hates on here.  At least he was a Giants head scout and knew a little something about the level of college players out there.

25 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I preferred Jerry Reese that everyone hates on here.  At least he was a Giants head scout and knew a little something about the level of college players out there.

You never know what you have until they replaced by somebody more incompetent. 

At this point I say keep Dabs and Shoen because in not sure Mara is competent enough to hire professional level staff. 

Copying what I've said on Reddit about Burns: 

It's not Burns' fault Schoen and Co overpaid for him. He's not an upper tier pass rusher but we're paying him like he is one, plus we traded a 2nd round pick for him, a top 50 pick.

Burns is the kind of guy that can get you 8-9 sacks per year on average. That's good but that's not top tier, and it's not worth $141M over 5 years.

46 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Copying what I've said on Reddit about Burns: 

It's not Burns' fault Schoen and Co overpaid for him. He's not an upper tier pass rusher but we're paying him like he is one, plus we traded a 2nd round pick for him, a top 50 pick.

Burns is the kind of guy that can get you 8-9 sacks per year on average. That's good but that's not top tier, and it's not worth $141M over 5 years.

Oh I definitely don't blame Burns at all.  More power to him for scamming a shill like Joe Schoen. 

The problem is that Schoen's signing him to a big contract is indicative of just how ineffective he is at running the team.  Dude's only been here for 2.5 years and already: 

1.  We've had one awful draft (maybe two, we'll see this year).

2. We traded Kadarius Toney and Leonard Williams for essentially nothing. 

3.  We gave a huge guaranteed contract to a decent-to-good but very inconsistent player. 

He's not a good GM, these are all moves that most people could have seen were bad ideas.  Like I said in this thread, the idea (I guess) was to hope he played above his skill level, and hope is not a strategy... but all those other moves were hope-based and not reason-based as well.  "Let's hope these awful Tarheels linemen can put it together in the pros." "Let's hope Darren Waller doesn't get hurt." "Let's hope Brian Burns plays up to the big contract we gave him." 

I've seen enough.  Hope is not a strategy. 

6 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

You never know what you have until they replaced by somebody more incompetent. 

At this point I say keep Dabs and Shoen because in not sure Mara is competent enough to hire professional level staff. 

There is much to what you write Virginia.... we had so much when Reese was here that I would straight up trade Reese and Coughlin along with Wellington Mara to what we have now.

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

There is much to what you write Virginia.... we had so much when Reese was here that I would straight up trade Reese and Coughlin along with Wellington Mara to what we have now.

Yeah and I was on the fire them both bandwagon - but fuck I couldn't expect this level of incompetence for such a long time.  

6 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I never wanted Coughlin fired, thought you guys were nuts. 

Right? If it were up to me, both Coughlin and Eli would still be here. What they did to Eli was an absolute travesty. 

6 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I never wanted Coughlin fired, thought you guys were nuts. 

Hey we are allowed to lose it every now and then.  At least I wanted Eli... also the year before they won the 2008 Super Bowl TC went through a conversion where he started to explain to his coaches and players some of the reasons why he was such a driven maniac at times.  This humanized him and people like Strahan started to love him as a father figure rather than just as an uptight hardass.

7 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Right? If it were up to me, both Coughlin and Eli would still be here. What they did to Eli was an absolute travesty. 

What they did the last several years of his career was the travesty. 

he could reasonably be at 60,000 yards and 400 tds if the people rubbing the team were in anyway competent his last 4 years. 

8 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

What they did the last several years of his career was the travesty. 

he could reasonably be at 60,000 yards and 400 tds if the people rubbing the team were in anyway competent his last 4 years. 

Thats the problem - they were actually rubbing it instead of running it :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

brian-burns.png

See? 

Is it Burns or the scheme?  Nit picking sides but in having a hard time understanding how the defense was apparently designed and what scheme they went with in the defensive coordinator. Not going to pretend I’m an X’s and O’s savant that can tell you his win rate in any given situation. But praising the QB Dora not seem to be the priority of the defensive scheme. 

could be that’ that it’s just so ineffective it appears that way. But not a lot of designed pressure going on.