SportsWrath

Final Moks. Post 'em.

Sephiroth

I'd be very happy if we ended up with the last mock I posed, but that was before the draft and player positions have changed and whatnot.  For this mock, I used PFF's Mock Draft builder for the first three rounds, then Pro Football Network's for the fourth round on.  

Round 1 Pick 25:  Lukas Van Ness, EDGE - Dude is a flat out beast and I have no idea how he fell to pick 25.  Only 21 years old and freakish strength and athleticism. 

Round 2 Pick 57 - Cody Mauch, T.  Mauch is listed as a tackle, but can play literally any of the o-line positions.  John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmitz is gone, but this guy is great insurance if we need help at guard, center, or if Evan Neal needs to be kicked inside. 

Round 3 Pick 89 - Luke Schoonmaker, TE.  For complete tight ends, I think he's the best in the draft... yes, better than the kid from Notre Dame.  Big, strong, blocks really well... but also ran a 4.6 at the combine and has decent-to-good lateral agility. 

Round 4 Pick 128 - Jonathan Mingo, WR.   Mingo isn't going to come in and set the world on fire right away, but I see a less refined Hakeem Nicks/AJ Brown here.  Excellent adjusting to the ball, and with a year of NFL coaching and weights he's got a chance to be an absolute monster in a year.  He's a devastating blocker as well. 

Round 5 Pick 160 - Tyjae Spears, RB.  Good vision, amazing speed, and good hands as well.  This would be a really exciting pick and I have no idea how he's still available in the 5th (he won't be in real life). 

Round 5 - pick 172 - Chandler Zavala, G.   He has a bit of work to do, but this is the last of the interior O-linemen on my board with a "make it" grade.  Good feet and understands angles well.  Strong but could get a bit stronger.  He's got a chance to be a day one starter or quality interior backup. Way fucking better than Marcus McKethan. 

Round 6 - PIck 209 - Nick Herbig, EDGE.  I have no idea how he fell to here; I talked him up in my other mock before the combine.  Dude is a flat-out beast.  If he was actually still there in round six I'd shit my pants. 

Round 7 - Pick 240 - Dewayne McBride, RB - He's a straight power back that isn't going to outrun many people, but would be great on the goal line.  Still needs to add 10-15 lbs of muscle I think, but is patient and powerful. 

Round 7 - Pick 243 - Anfernee Orji, LB.   LOL.  All joking aside, he's very athletic (4th highest rated athlete at the combine for linebackers) and could be a decent spot player if he's not asked to do too much.  Too aggressive at times and needs to be more patient. 

Round 7 - PIck 254 - Bumper Pool, LB   Undersized but scrappy, with a nose for the football.  It's tough not to like this kid. 

This draft is weird.

Lots of pundits and GMs taking about how this is one of the worst drafts for first round grades in a long time.

Which means the Giants are perfectly set up at 25 to draft for need because they will more than likely be the same talent level as BPA.

I looked over the mock I did pre-FA and I think it still holds up for the first four rounds.

Also I believe we end up trading some picks to move up for a player or two.

1st round: We get the brother BJ Ojulari (edge) 

Ojulari starts in the rotation and brings another pass rusher into the lack of depth, plus added versatility which Wink loves. 

2nd round: Jack Campbell (MLB) 

The Giants haven't had a LB with his talent since Pierce. He's a tackling machine. 

3rd round: Tank Bigsby (RB)

RB depth, plus with Barkley's future up in there getting someone with his talent on round 3 is a steal.

3rd round: AT Perry (WR) 

Ramses Baden 2.0 but hopefully lightning strikes this time.

4th: Olusegun Oluwatami (C/G)

Big boy on the IOL would push a day one starter at center. 

5th: Mekhi Blackmon (DB) 

My darkhorse and a guy who could start day one in the secondary.

6th: Stetson Bennett (QB) 

6th: Javion Cohen (G)

7th: Matt Landers  (WR)

7th: David Allen (TE) 

7th: Daniel Scott (DB) 

This is a weird one. We've been going so high for so long that we're not used to this. I've spent less time looking at mocks than ever.

First, I don't think we are done trading. I can't see us going twice in the 5th and I do think we might trade up if Quentin Johnson is within striking distance or John Michael Schmitz is close in the 2nd. Assuming none of that happens.

1) Zay Flowers - Wide Receiver ( We'll reach here IMO, we could trade down a few spots and still get him but he should be well gone by the time we pick in round 2, Giants like him a lot).

2) Emmanuel Forbes - Corner (reaching here, I expect he's gone) He's very light but talented.

3) Tank Bigsby - Running Back. The Giants are drafting a running back in this draft, he'll be hard to pass up at this point,

4) Wanya Morris - Offensive Tackle. Another big body to compete at guard.

5) Jarrett Patterson - Center. I think this kids a steal here. Notre Dame kid.

6) Ja'von Hicks - Safety - 4 years at Cincinnati playing with guys who have already been drafted.  I think this kid is a sleeper here.

7) Malik Cunningham - QB. Yeah, I'm just picking a QB for shits and giggles. depth.

7) Josh Whyle - TE. 6ft 6, 250 lbs. Big guy. again former Bearcat. Competing for depth.

7) Anfernee Orji - LB. Doesn't everyone want to have an Orji?

Was being an ass and restarting the sim until at least one of the CBs fell to me at 25 and thankfully it was the one I wanted... again. 

25: Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn St.

57: Steve Avila C/OG TCU

89: Eli Ricks CB Bama (doubled up cause who knows what happens with Adoree Jackson post 2023 season)

128: DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas

160: Isaiah McGuire EDGE MIZZOU

172: Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton (homer pick... just rooting for the guy.)

209: Jalen Green S Miss St

240: Malik Cunningham QB L'Ville

243: DeWayne McBride RB UAB

254: Justin Shorter WT UF

Tbh... I think we're trading up. For who? I have no idea, but we can't actually make all these picks. Not enough roster spots. 

I doubled up at CB because after Adoree, Williams and Robinson can't seem to stay healthy, and Flott (while I saw some good out of him) is undersized. If Jackson isn't extended after this season I'd rather already have his replacement on the roster. After Yoshi (Iosivas) everything was just me selecting names and/or positions. 

Also my surprise pick.

Jahmyr Gibbs RB if he's still sitting there at 25.

A RB who is basically Kamara/CMC 2.0

Can line up in the slot, out wide, in the backfield, and can do it all.

If Barkley and the Giants are really as far away on contracts talks as pundits say they are, I could see them getting arguably the best RB in the draft. Plus having him and Barkley both in the backfield at the same time would make our 100 million dollar QBs life easier.

11 minutes ago, boohyah said:

I just looked at a PFF mock that had Hyatt going to us in the 2nd.

I've seen him mainly going anywhere from us at 25 to 40 roughly. I doubt he falls to us in the 2nd.

Thanks brother.   I can see a scenario where we get Porter and Hyatt or LB Campbell 1 & 2.   

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

The WRs this year just ain't that good.

Then again if we can get another Shepard on this team in rounds 2 or 3 that would help. 

I’m not too fond of shepherd.   Hyatt has wheels but I think Campbell can bring a lot of intensity and vocal leadership to the defense.

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Fucking draft is wild.

This is the first time I've been so relaxed because I actually trust Schoen to draft well.

Last years class was mired by injury. who should be coming back to help the team this year.

I hope Thibs put in the time in the gym to bulk up.  

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Fucking draft is wild.

This is the first time I've been so relaxed because I actually trust Schoen to draft well.

Last years class was mired by injury. who should be coming back to help the team this year.

Wow really? I'm relaxed, but I wasn't impressed with Schoen's draft last year at all. I think this year's draft will be really telling as far as his skill as a GM.

11 hours ago, Nas said:

Thanks brother.   I can see a scenario where we get Porter and Hyatt or LB Campbell 1 & 2.   

Hyatt's not making it past Kansas City in the first. Andy Reid will make that guy a household name.

On 4/26/2023 at 8:33 AM, Sephiroth said:

Wow really? I'm relaxed, but I wasn't impressed with Schoen's draft last year at all. I think this year's draft will be really telling as far as his skill as a GM.

You can't really judge any sort of draft till four years down the road to see who is even still around.

As it stands a number of these guys picked in the later rounds are going to be in the rotation this year.

We landed three starters in Thibs, Neal and Bellinger.

Ezeudu, Flott, Belton are going to be starting in some capacity this year.

McFadden and Beavers were both getting rave reviews from Wink.

Davidson and McKethan may not amount to much this year but for 5th round picks they are going to be bench players anyways.