SportsWrath

Giants plan to franchise tag QB Daniel Jones if no long-term deal is reached by Tuesday

BronxRik

With Daniel Jones' agents expected to leave the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine with no contract resolution in sight, the New York Giants are planning on retaining the fifth-year quarterback for at least the 2023 season.

NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Sunday that if a long-term deal cannot be reached by Tuesday's deadline, the Giants plan to use the franchise tag on Jones.

Under the tag, Jones would be due $32.416 million in 2023.

Jones enjoyed a breakout season in a contract year during 2022, generating career-highs in completions (317), passing yards (3,205), passer rating (92.5), rushing yards (708) and rushing touchdowns (seven). Jones also produced a career-low in interceptions (five) and fumbles (six) in 2022, marks that initially plagued the former first-round pick through his first three seasons.

Along with star running back Saquon Barkley returning to form in 2022, Jones helped lead New York to both its first winning record (9-7-1) and playoff appearance since 2016.

It was a timely season for Jones, who's fifth-year option was declined by the Giants ahead of the 2022 season. The breakout campaign no doubt raised the asking price for the 25-year-old, which figures to be a big reason why negotiations between the two sides reportedly hit a slight hiccup over the weekend.

Giants general manager Joe Schoen entered combine week hoping to avoid using the tag on either Jones or Barkley, but the reported divide with his QB on a suitable salary may necessitate that come March 7.

How that effects negotiations with Barkley remain to be seen. While there is still time to avoid the tag, the Giants will be at least maintaining their offseason prerogative of keeping their starting QB and RB in 2023.

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-plan-to-franchise-tag-qb-daniel-jones-if-no-long-term-deal-is-reached-by-

28 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Anybody else thinking maybe we just cut bait? I like Jones as a player but he's out of his fucking mind if he thinks he's worth 48 million per season.

Honestly that's my thing about tagging Jones.

There's three outcomes IMO.

1) Jones plays far and away better then he did last year and we end up in the exact same scenario but he's probably asking for 50/60+ million because the QB market is going to be reset with Herbert and Burrow signing massive contracts. The we lose guys like Thomas and Lawrence because Jones takes up 1/4 of the cap space. 

2) Jones plays the same as last year in which case he still asks for +45 million again.

3) Jones play worse than last year or gets hurt in which case you really wasted a year of the team. 

Out of three three scenarios only one (number 3) benefits the Giants in any way because they can cut their losses. 

You don't want to end up like the Commies having to tag a QB two years in a row and end up with him leaving anyways (Cousins).  

If a deal can't get done let Jones walk let him go ask other teams for 45+ million. 

We can go sign Carr for 30 million for a few years and get outs after the first year.of the contract.

53 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Anybody else thinking maybe we just cut bait? I like Jones as a player but he's out of his fucking mind if he thinks he's worth 48 million per season.

I think so.  We need Barkley with a new QB come 2024 as a security blanket.  I am not in love with DJ... I just like him.  He reminds me of Kannell and Graham from the early Fassel era.  

16 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

1) Jones plays far and away better then he did last year and we end up in the exact same scenario but he's probably asking for 50/60+ million because the QB market is going to be reset with Herbert and Burrow signing massive contracts. The we lose guys like Thomas and Lawrence because Jones takes up 1/4 of the cap space. 

2) Jones plays the same as last year in which case he still asks for +45 million again.

3) Jones play worse than last year or gets hurt in which case you really wasted a year of the team. 

Out of three three scenarios only one (number 3) benefits the Giants in any way because they can cut their losses. 

You don't want to end up like the Commies having to tag a QB two years in a row and end up with him leaving anyways (Cousins).  

If a deal can't get done let Jones walk let him go ask other teams for 45+ million. 

We can go sign Carr for 30 million for a few years and get outs after the first year.of the contract.

I say Option Three is the best going forward.  Fassel rehabilitated Kerry Collins into a number 1 QB who would have been an MVP if he did not get a bad case of happy feet against the Ravens in the Super Bowl.  The Giants need a seminal talent at QB and DJ is not it.  Hold down the fort for another year or two and get out of the way of the next Eli, Simms, Hostetler and/or Collins I say.

29 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Thinking it, didn't want to say it.  But franchise is a good option.  Worst case scenario is he comes in plays really well and we can't sign him next year.  But I think if we are in a position to WANT to resign him, we'll open the checkbook next year.  Guy has to show more than he has for that kind of payday that will limit the team in so many ways.  If he were Mahomes, where we knew he was going to carry the team and win a lot of games because of his greatness, you pay him that kind of money.  Maybe he's going to be that guy, but he has to show he is first and in 4 years he has not shown even that many flashes of true greatness.  Feats of athleticism, a few good throws, toughness, grit, a will to win - yes, but flat out greatness?  Not much of that so far. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I said it here:

and here:

People think I'm nuts (except for BiC who thinks I'm a genius :wub:) but take 2022 for what it was and move on. Schoen and Daboll were hamstrung with Jones, move on and build your own team. Daboll is either a QB whisperer or the next McAdoo. Only one way to find out. 

25 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

I said it here:

and here:

People think I'm nuts (except for BiC who thinks I'm a genius :wub:) but take 2022 for what it was and move on. Schoen and Daboll were hamstrung with Jones, move on and build your own team. Daboll is either a QB whisperer or the next McAdoo. Only one way to find out. 

What QB are we moving on with? The draft is pretty lousy for QBs outside Young, Stroud, and Levis.

So the rumours flying around is the contract talks left with the Giants offering a 5 year deal with the first three years in the 40-43 million fully guaranteed mark, with outs at years four and five.

Jones and company want the entire contract guaranteed for the full five years at that 40-43 million number.

Welcome to the new phase of QB contracts in the NFL.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

What QB are we moving on with? The draft is pretty lousy for QBs outside Young, Stroud, and Levis.

I don't think the Giants would miss much of a beat with Tyrod and using that 30 million saved to go get two starting caliber guards and keeping Barkley.

Might not be a fluke run to the playoffs like last year due to the NFC being a complete dumpster fire but would have a similar record in a rebuilding year. 

I wonder what happens if the Giants sit back and let the league set the market on Jones...   do you think there are teams out there ready to drop +$45m on him?  What better situation is sitting out there for him to go to?

He had a really good season, and I do really like him as a player I just cannot imagine there are a bunch of GMs sitting there with a hard on for him.

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think there's another legit scenario too, where the Giants tag Jones and draft his replacement. We're not gonna get a day one starter at pick 25, but if there's a high-end developmental guy there, whether it be a Levis or Richardson (unlikely) or a Hendon Hooker in round 3 (more likely)... that might put the team in a good situation where at this point next season you either know Jones is definitely the guy or you've got a young player ready to get his shot. A Richardson type may suck at first but give them the Mahomes treatment on the bench for a year and you may have something the following season.

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I don't think the Giants would miss much of a beat with Tyrod and using that 30 million saved to go get two starting caliber guards and keeping Barkley.

Might not be a fluke run to the playoffs like last year due to the NFC being a complete dumpster fire but would have a similar record in a rebuilding year. 

The only thing that worries me about Tyrod is he's injury prone.

I wonder if people would be okay with a guy like Baker Mayfield or Taylor Heinecke on a cheap deal, say 2 years $12M.

Also Clayton Tune in the 5th round

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

This would be fine with me.

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think there's another legit scenario too, where the Giants tag Jones and draft his replacement. We're not gonna get a day one starter at pick 25, but if there's a high-end developmental guy there, whether it be a Levis or Richardson (unlikely) or a Hendon Hooker in round 3 (more likely)... that might put the team in a good situation where at this point next season you either know Jones is definitely the guy or you've got a young player ready to get his shot. A Richardson type may suck at first but give them the Mahomes treatment on the bench for a year and you may have something the following season.

There you go.  We got what we could out of Kannel and Graham... then we got Collins, then Eli.  It was worth the wait. Stop going for halfway instant gratification and just bite the bullet and let things play out.  You can win in this league with a good defense, decent line and a decent back.  With that in mind all you need is a half assed QB.  Remember George Young cumming on himself for three years of Dave Brown.  The literal Nadir for this franchise.

14 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

His name is Clayton Tune. Take him in the 4th.

10 hours ago, mastershake said:

His name is Clayton Tune. Take him in the 4th.

Watched some film on him last night and you're right.  Kid looks like he could be a high-end starter in the league and nobody is talking about him.  Throws a really nice ball.