SportsWrath

Mets might bring up M. Pelfrey to pitch in relief!!!

RandolphScott

Metsblog:

11:19 AM - Minors: Pelfrey to Shea, as Reliever

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

In the Daily News, Adam Rubin writes that the Mets have internal discussions about promoting Mike Pelfrey to the big-leagues and using him in relief…

In 10 starts for Double-A, Pelfrey is 3-1 with a 2.48 ERA…

Mets Board

I don't know why they would do this. Sanchez is back and ready to go as of yesterday. There was just a big article in my local paper yesterday about how the mets are taking it slow with this guy. He is still developing his breaking pitches in the minors and he is only in AA. Probably just a rumor, but we will see. The mets do seem to have a history of bringing pitchers up too fast.

Pelfry has no experience coming out of the pen. Never did it in high school, college, even little league. He's born to be a starting pitcher.

If Duaner goes on the DL, which I believe he probably will. (I pinched a nerve during high school baseball tryouts which led me to not be on the team, and I just quit after that... I could not lift my arm for a weak and I couldn't throw for 2 months and my neck was all swollen... nasty shit. But if Duaner goes on the DL reliever Henry Owens is in our minor league system and he is getting K's like they're going out of style. I could get his numbers but I just don't feel like it... I say worst-case with Duaner we let Owens to Shea, not Pelfry.

Pelfry has no experience coming out of the pen. Never did it in high school, college, even little league. He's born to be a starting pitcher.

If Duaner goes on the DL, which I believe he probably will. (I pinched a nerve during high school baseball tryouts which led me to not be on the team, and I just quit after that... I could not lift my arm for a weak and I couldn't throw for 2 months and my neck was all swollen... nasty shit. But if Duaner goes on the DL reliever Henry Owens is in our minor league system and he is getting K's like they're going out of style. I could get his numbers but I just don't feel like it... I say worst-case with Duaner we let Owens to Shea, not Pelfry.

Did you just happen to have a severe case of a pinched nerve or are they all the same?

Duaner is fine. He had a low grade pinched nerve, whatever that means, but he was suited up and in the bullpen on Sunday. They could have used him if they needed him, but they didn't so Willie gave him a day off. No DL for Sanchez. Good news for us.

Did you just happen to have a severe case of a pinched nerve or are they all the same?

I really don't know... Doctor just told me I had a pinched nerve and gave me some pain killers.

Duaner is fine. He had a low grade pinched nerve, whatever that means, but he was suited up and in the bullpen on Sunday. They could have used him if they needed him, but they didn't so Willie gave him a day off. No DL for Sanchez. Good news for us.

Really? That's great for us. I had the same reaction when I pinched my nerve that Duaner had when he threw his second pitch, so I knew what it was right away, hurts like a mother fucker. I would have been gone for at least a month and a half... Baseball Players get treated like royalty :rolleyes: ...

I would bring up Pelfrey after the All star break and go with a 6 man rotation to rest Pedro, Glavine and EL Duque a bit, not for a long stretch, but maybe just the brutally hot 6 weeks after the break. WIth a big lead, why not see what Pelfrey has and rest the old guys in the dog days a bit more?

I would bring up Pelfrey after the All star break and go with a 6 man rotation to rest Pedro, Glavine and EL Duque a bit, not for a long stretch, but maybe just the brutally hot 6 weeks after the break. WIth a big lead, why not see what Pelfrey has and rest the old guys in the dog days a bit more?

I'd rather promote Pelfrey to a struggling Norfolk first (to see if he can have any difference in the teams season, which I think would be a boost of confidence) and see what Brian Bannister can do when he comes back from his Hamstring problem. He was doing pretty well with us, he could help us win some important games... more than you can expect than Pelfrey. Pelfrey's starts will come, he and Philip Humber are practically guarenteed a position in the rotation to battle over next year.

I stand corrected. Sanchez wasn't available on Sunday. He threw a few pitches, but said his neck was still too sore, so he shut it down. Here is a link to some articles fyi: Sanchez Articles :doh:

I knew it, there is no way someone could come back in less than a day from a pinched nerve. It hurts like a mother fucker.

Quadruple post I see :P

The Mets have a prospect in Double-A by the name of Henry Owens, who is lighting it up there. Why haven't they promoted him to Triple-A or even given him a shot at the big-league level? I saw him pitch in Spring Training and, from what I saw of his awkward motion and devastating velocity, Owens was better primed for the Mets bullpen than Heath Bell. Your thoughts.

-- Daniel B., Bronx, N.Y.

My sense is Owens will be one of the club's, what Jeff Innis used to call, SCU's -- September Call Ups.

Owens 0.83 ERA, 18.3 K/9 and 0.6 WHIP

The Mets have a prospect in Double-A by the name of Henry Owens, who is lighting it up there. Why haven't they promoted him to Triple-A or even given him a shot at the big-league level? I saw him pitch in Spring Training and, from what I saw of his awkward motion and devastating velocity, Owens was better primed for the Mets bullpen than Heath Bell. Your thoughts.

-- Daniel B., Bronx, N.Y.

My sense is Owens will be one of the club's, what Jeff Innis used to call, SCU's -- September Call Ups.

Owens 0.83 ERA, 18.3 K/9 and 0.6 WHIP

I would not give the Braves anything more than a shitty minor leaguer for Smoltz. Yes he is great and he could really help down the stretch, but after 19 years and 15 post seasons now he wants out after an awful first half?

Cash and Victor Diaz is the extent I go.