SportsWrath

Hindsight draft...

gmenroc

Now that it is over...and we know who exactly went where...who would you have drafted in the spots where we picked (including the added picks from the trades that actually happened) and no additional trades.

I thought this would be fun too.  I've always kept a loose running list of guys I had wanted instead of guys we took, but only one time did I do a hindsight draft

We should do this every year.  Here's my guys: 

Round 1 - no 5 overall: Kayvon Thibodeaux 

Who I'd take - Kayvon Thibodeaux

Comments - knocked it out of the park.  I think his floor is Jadaveon Clowney;  ceiling is Julius Peppers.  The kid has everything you need to be an impact DE in the league.

Round 1 - No 7 overall:  Evan Neal

Who I'd take - Evan Neal

Comments - another great pick.  Neal has work to do;  his balance is often pretty terrible, he's not as nasty as I'd like, and there's way too much leaning.  I think by the halfway point of the season though and with some good NFL coaching, he could be a very good RT for us moving forward..

Round 2, No. 43 overall: Wan’Dale Robinson

Who I'd take - TE Trey Mc Bride

Comments - a little early for Mc Bride, but we got the best DE, and arguably the best RT, I'm happy to now snag the best TE in the draft.  Can do everything good, but perhaps nothing  great.  He's light years ahead of anything we have on the team right now.

Round 3, No. 67 overall: Joshua Ezeudu

Who I'd take - LB Nakobe Dean

Comments - I now understand the trepidation with passing on Dean in the second, but his injuries (pec strain, meniscus) are honestly very minor, and he's played through injuries. At this point I'm willing to swing for the fences on this guy. Dude is another day one starter;  if he's healthy he's the next London Fletcher.  We're going to really regret going up against this guy twice a year if he can stay on the field.  Not sure why we reached for the 11th rated guard and 151st overall rated player in this spot instead. 

Round 3, No. 81 overall: Cordale Flott (CB, LSU)

Who I'd take - LB Leo Chenal 

Comments - I'd have taken Chenal like perennial Super Bowl contenders Kansas City did with the other pick if Dean had been gone;  watch his tape against Linderbaum last season and tell me Chenal didn't eat his lunch.  Provides insurance if Dean can't go;  if he can, this is going to be one of the best one-two punches at ILB in the league, possibly the best.  Savage blitzer who would be awesome in Martindale's system.  Or, you know... we could take a 175lb corner if you wanna go the Joe Schoen route. 

Round 4, No. 112 overall: Daniel Bellinger (TE, San Diego State)

Who I'd have taken - RB Isiah Spiller

Comments - Can't believe Spiller is still there and we didn't take him.  Actually wait, yes I can... he's not a "two rounds too early reach" like Schoen seems to prefer. If he's not an immediate day one impact player, he'll be the starter by week eight after Saquon Barkley and whoever is backing him up go down.  Every down back and a real difference-maker in the league;  no need for seasoning, he's coming in and playing right now. 

Round 4, No. 114 overall, Dane Belton (S, Iowa)

Who I'd have taken - OG/OT Zach Tom

Comments - to be honest, I don't love Tom here... but he's light years ahead of Dane Belton in this spot, who's honestly not very good and was taken roughly 70 spots ahead of where he was projected.  Tom probably projects inside to guard, but could probably  handle RT duties.  He's a very good athlete but needs some refinement on his technique. Offers positional versatility and has spent time at center. 

Round 5, No. 146 overall: Micah McFadden (LB, Indiana)

Who I'd have taken - RB Ty Chandler

Comments - watch his tape;  Ty Chandler is Ahmad Bradshaw.  Quick, fast, elusive, plays bigger than his size, and a good receiver.  McFadden is a colossal reach again;  Chandler provides day one utility as a versatile 3rd down back with plus potential as an eventual starter.  Good that we got those special teams linebackers  covered with the pick we made though... the 210th rated player... I guess you can  never have too many of them. 

Round 5, No. 147 overall: D.J. Davidson (DT, Arizona State)

Who I'd have taken - CB Zyon McCollum

Big, tough, physical DB with off the charts athleticism, I'm not sure how this guy fell to the 5th.  Would fit in Martendale's system right now though he obviously needs a little bit of coaching. A way better prospect than Cordelle Flop. 

Round 5, No. 173 overall: Marcus McKethan (OG, North Carolina)

Who I'd have taken - OG Jamaree Salyer

Comments - has Joe Schoen explained to anyone why he took the 26th best guard and 327th player overall when the 7th best guard and 122nd overall player was on the board?  I'd really like to hear this one.  Salyer is probably best suited to the inside but again offers positional versatility as he can play on either the right or left side.  He's one of the best remaining guys here, but hey, why take a good player from a good O-line when you can take a terrible player from one of college's worst o-lines?  It's the Joe Schoen way!

Round 6, No. 182 overall Darrian Beavers (LB, Cincinnati)

Who I'd have taken - OG Lecitus Smith 

Comments - another case of best player available, I thought Smith was closer to a 4th round pick.  He caught my eye at the Senior Bowl and in practices.  I'm actually OK with Beavers here but I think Smith will end up being the better player overall.  

So in conclusion... Seph grabbed you a day one starting DE, RT, and TE, two linebackers that between them should provide great play, three guards to pick from to provide depth and possible future starting play, two RBs to provide day one contributions and more after Barkley leaves, and a very good corner. 

I'll take my guys over Shoen's guys.  In fact, I'm just gonna say it... I'm not sure Schoen knows what he's doing. 

Adam Schein

NFL.com Contributing Columnist

2) New era for the New York Football Giants

The Dave Gettleman era (error) is in the rearview mirror -- and it's quickly disappearing from sight, at least judging by Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll's initial first-round haul.

The Giants haven't had a legit dude on defense -- someone the opposition fears -- in years. Enter Kayvon Thibodeaux, who came off the board as the No. 5 overall pick on Thursday. All that talk about his personality being a negative? Hogwash. I interviewed him last week on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports," and came away beyond impressed. That's one intelligent, interesting 21-year-old! Giants fans will love his attitude -- and most especially, his game-day domination. This cat's explosive off the edge. And Big Blue didn't just get a top-tier QB hunter in Round 1, but an elite QB protector, as well. Landing Thibodeaux and hulking OT Evan Neal? It was like a dream.

The G-Men haven't won a playoff game since Eli Manning last hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Over the past five years, they're tied with the Jets for the worst record in the NFL (22-59). With that stuff in mind, it's not hyperbole to say Thursday was the best day for the franchise in the past decade. I am so happy for longtime Giants fans. Welcome to football in 2022.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-jets-and-giants-hit-vegas-jackpot-patriots-packers-and-jaguars-ra#:~:text=2) New era for the New York Football Giants

14 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Adam Schein

NFL.com Contributing Columnist

2) New era for the New York Football Giants

The Dave Gettleman era (error) is in the rearview mirror -- and it's quickly disappearing from sight, at least judging by Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll's initial first-round haul.

The Giants haven't had a legit dude on defense -- someone the opposition fears -- in years. Enter Kayvon Thibodeaux, who came off the board as the No. 5 overall pick on Thursday. All that talk about his personality being a negative? Hogwash. I interviewed him last week on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports," and came away beyond impressed. That's one intelligent, interesting 21-year-old! Giants fans will love his attitude -- and most especially, his game-day domination. This cat's explosive off the edge. And Big Blue didn't just get a top-tier QB hunter in Round 1, but an elite QB protector, as well. Landing Thibodeaux and hulking OT Evan Neal? It was like a dream.

The G-Men haven't won a playoff game since Eli Manning last hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Over the past five years, they're tied with the Jets for the worst record in the NFL (22-59). With that stuff in mind, it's not hyperbole to say Thursday was the best day for the franchise in the past decade. I am so happy for longtime Giants fans. Welcome to football in 2022.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-jets-and-giants-hit-vegas-jackpot-patriots-packers-and-jaguars-ra#:~:text=2) New era for the New York Football Giants

Agree.... this is a defense unseen since we took care of the Pats in that last Super Bowl we had with them.  Eli wish he had Neil protecting him as well.  He might have stayed an extra year or two.

13 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

I wanted Clint Sintim in the 1st round and would have taken Rosen second overall.  My hindsight is horrendous.  

I think at some point all of us wanted Robert Gallery.  

• 7 months later...

Whelp, I figured it was time for a much-too-early assessment of how me and Joe Schoen's respective draft classes are going.  I'm not going to evaluate Thibodeaux and Neal since we were of like minds on those two guys, but to be honest, at this point I think I have a pretty significant edge on Schoen.  I'm available to be a GM, or even to just do a consulting gig for all Giants front-office folks who are watching. 

Round 2, No. 43 overall: Wan’Dale Robinson
Who I'd take - TE Trey Mc Bride
Comments - This is a tough one to pick, as Wan’Dale started to look pretty good by midseason, and McBride has looked rather terrible until the last three weeks of the season.  However, Wan’Dale has a serious injury right now, where McBride is healthy… going into next season, you’re more likely to get more production our of McBride as opposed to Wan’Dale.

EDGE:  Seph

Round 3, No. 67 overall: Joshua Ezeudu
Who I'd take - LB Nakobe Dean
Comments - Josh Ezeudu has shown himself to be a stud run blocker in limited action so far.  He’s also demonstrated that he’s one of the worst pass blockers in the league, with some comically bad “o’le!” moments. Out with a neck injury, we’ll have to see what the future holds.  Nakobe Dean, also in limited time, has impressed the coaching staff, has fans salivating for the future, and earned himself a 78.9 PFF grade.  The winner is clear.

Round 3, No. 81 overall: Cordale Flott (CB, LSU)
Who I'd take - LB Leo Chenal 
Comments - Cordale Flott is looking a lot like what some smart people were saying after he was drafted:  not big enough, not strong enough, not fast enough.  Coverage is middling-to-bad, tacking is even worse.  He’s got room to grow, but right now he’s a JAG.  Leo Chenal, on the other hand, has also looked good in limited reps.  Like Dean, he has a talented linebacking corps ahead of him, but he’s working his way into the starting lineup and looks to be a building block moving forward. 

Round 4, No. 112 overall: Daniel Bellinger (TE, San Diego State)
Who I'd have taken - RB Isiah Spiller
Comments - This isn’t really a tough one.  Daniel Bellinger has exceeded all expectations as a tight end, displaying top-end blocking and a knack for getting open.  With the exception of one notable drop, his hands have been excellent.  Spiller has spent most of the season on IR and has not looked wonderful in limited reps. 

EDGE:  Shoen

Round 4, No. 114 overall, Dane Belton (S, Iowa)
Who I'd have taken - OG/OT Zach Tom
Comments - Another easy one, Zach Tom has filled in at both RG, LG, and LT.  He’s allowed one sack in that time, and posted a 69 PFF grade.  His athleticism and positional versatility is one of the big reasons why Green Bay is still in the playoff hunt.  Dane Belton has looked like Dane Belton... meaning toast in coverage and a 29.9 PFF grade. 

Round 5, No. 146 overall: Micah McFadden (LB, Indiana)
Who I'd have taken - RB Ty Chandler
Comments - Micah McFadden is not a special player, nor an especially good one.  However, he does have game tape, and with Ty Chandler in IR for the entire season to this point, it’s enough to make him a (marginally) better pick. 

EDGE:  Shoen

Round 5, No. 147 overall: D.J. Davidson (DT, Arizona State)
Who I'd have taken - CB Zyon McCollum
Comments: First of all, let’s get this out in the open:  they both suck.  Davidson has been pushed around in limited playing time this season, and McCollum has been picked on in spot duty this year.  However, McCollum has at least showed up for some special teams play where Davidson has been invisible since game two.  I’m calling this one a push. 

EDGE:  None

Round 5, No. 173 overall: Marcus McKethan (OG, North Carolina)
Who I'd have taken - OG Jamaree Salyer
Comments -  Salyer has had the enviable task of taking over for Rashawn Slater while the latter has been on IR since the preseason.  All he’s done is posted a 67 PFF grade while allowing 4 sacks on the year.  He was drafted to play guard, but has shown the chops to be a more than capable NFL tackle.  Marcus McKethan has been hurt since the preseason, but when he returns it’s expected that he’ll look like the injured version of Marcus McKethan.  This one is not even close and it’s another example of Joe Shoen trying to get too cute with his picks. 

Round 6, No. 182 overall Darrian Beavers (LB, Cincinnati)
Who I'd have taken - OG Lecitus Smith 
Comments - Lecitus Smith has not looked great when called upon in two games this season, but to be fair, one of those was against some guy named Aaron Donald who I heard was pretty good himself.  He apparently looked decent aside from that in limited action.  Darrian Beavers has been in IR all season.  I’m not going to kill Smith for getting manhandled by Donald, and he’s at least been available so far, which puts him above Beavers.  I do think Beavers has a chance to be a good contributor if he can come back healthy next season.

So for those of you keeping score at home… so far in the Seph vs Joe Schoen matchup, it’s 6-2, but I’d also say we’re about seven minutes into the first quarter with both teams having had the ball once.  Still plenty of game left to play, but I'm left wondering what our team would look like with the guys I picked over the Micah McFaddens and DJ Davidsons of the team. 

5 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Cordale Flott actually has been playing well the last few games, after a tough start earlier in the year. I think he puts it together and can be a legit CB3 or 2 in the league.

Dude tackles like shit and drops sure INTs... but he's not being picked on quite as much as earlier in the year.  Maybe his coverage is good and that's why they're not throwing to him, but there hasn't been a single play this year where I've said, "wow, great coverage by Flott!"  Chenal has had a handful of eye-opening plays so far. 

The fact that Nick McCloud is starting over him kind of tells you everything you need to know about the kid. I sure hope I'm wrong and he becomes something (I think he's got a shot to be decent) but again, we can only grade where we are right now... and right now Chenal is the better player. 

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Dude tackles like shit and drops sure INTs... but he's not being picked on quite as much as earlier in the year.  Maybe his coverage is good and that's why they're not throwing to him, but there hasn't been a single play this year where I've said, "wow, great coverage by Flott!"  Chenal has had a handful of eye-opening plays so far. 

The fact that Nick McCloud is starting over him kind of tells you everything you need to know about the kid. I sure hope I'm wrong and he becomes something (I think he's got a shot to be decent) but again, we can only grade where we are right now... and right now Chenal is the better player. 

I think regardless, neither guy will be on their team in four years if the NFL Draft has shown us anything with players outside the first round.

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think we can all say this.

In hindsight no one really knows what the fuck they are doing in the draft.

Seph just proved otherwise.  If I’m the GM, he’s the head of the scouting department.   

On 5/4/2022 at 6:10 PM, Herc said:

I was a Sean Taylor guy.  That debate was so intense that year 

I did too. 

He didn’t exactly light the world on fire either. He was on his way but then was killed.

His biggest highlight is hitting a punter in a game that doesn’t even count.