SportsWrath

Do the Giants have a Saquon Barkley problem?

Sephiroth

Interesting read, and something I've been saying since he's been drafted. 

I think the arguments are valid.  I will say though, that I felt this exact same way about Tiki Barber over his first 4 seasons in New York, and he was the best rusher I've ever seen for the team.  I remember at one point after he had something like a 25-carry, 80-yard game that "he had two big runs and averaged 2 yards a carry after that." 

It was fixable for him;  here's hoping Saquon can turn it around. 

And also, yes, Wayne Gallman is a better RB right now than Saquon Barkley. 

21 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Interesting read, and something I've been saying since he's been drafted. 

I think the arguments are valid.  I will say though, that I felt this exact same way about Tiki Barber over his first 4 seasons in New York, and he was the best rusher I've ever seen for the team.  I remember at one point after he had something like a 25-carry, 80-yard game that "he had two big runs and averaged 2 yards a carry after that." 

It was fixable for him;  here's hoping Saquon can turn it around. 

And also, yes, Wayne Gallman is a better RB right now than Saquon Barkley. 

The Giants are 8-24 (25%) with Saquon Barkely, 7-10 (41%) without Barkley over the last three plus years.

He may not be the generational back we all expected him to be, and I think most importantly is you don't build a franchise around a RB.

I liked the pick when we made it...though I was still fighting for offensive line help I think at the time.

Still think he could be a generational talent, but we still haven't given him the line he needs it seems.

Football is ultimate team sport.  If one piece sucks, it can blow up others, despite how good those others can be.

Article is awfully interesting.  Giants will pay Barkley so long as he doesn't get injured again.  He's a nice guy, high draft pick, and says the right thing most days.  Production comes second to Giants brass I think

These articles have been coming out since we drafted him.

It's pretty simple.

Barkley bounces back this year I'm sure the Giants offer him a contract like Jones got in Green Bay, a nice chunk of change but reasonable for both sides.

He will either sign it or walk. 

Barkley doesn't bounce back then the Giants probably offer him a one year prove it contact. 

Keep in mind the Giants are reportedly in cap hell next season, already projected to be over the cap by 20 million or so since we had to convert many players salaries into signing bonuses.

We are going to be losing some players next offseason and Barkley may just be a cap causality regardless of what he does.

23 minutes ago, mastershake said:

How he only has 3 receptions is a travesty.

Eli made him a star because Eli would actually use his check downs to Barkley.

All those years of experience he knew when to dump the ball off for a gain.

Jones to his credit and discredit never looks for the underneath stuff unless the play has broken down. 

Barkley is a dynamic runner he's dangerous in space and in one on one situations.

We are treating him like Brandon Jacobs just plowing him into the gaps. 

Yes Barkley does dance when he hits the line sometimes but that's just his style.

its difficult to mistake that when Barkley is in the game, defenses play the Giants differently.

The issue is less Barkley, and more that we have players and/or coaching that are unable to take advantage of eight and sometimes nine defenders in the box.

I think its probably fair to say Barkley is incredibly overrated. But opposing defenses are overrating him as much as the fans, so take advantage of it!

Actually last night was the first time I think I've seen the Giants offense successfully take advantage of the D shading so many men into the box when Barkley is in the game. And even then it took until the second half. 

3 hours ago, Joe Guyden said:

Maybe if we actually used him correctly.  He needs to be used like McCaffery and Judge and co are using him like Zeke. 

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

How he only has 3 receptions is a travesty.

That is on the Broke Back coordinator by the name of Garrett... 

42 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

That is on the Broke Back coordinator by the name of Garrett... 

Buck stops with the head coach.   I’m sure Judge approves game plans and is fully aware of what’s happening during the game.   

1 hour ago, Joe Guyden said:

Buck stops with the head coach.   I’m sure Judge approves game plans and is fully aware of what’s happening during the game.   

Oh I agree... the genesis starts with Garrett and I bet Judge just acknowledges most of them and moves on.  If you where the phones you have to open your mouth as well.  It was one reason why old line coaches hated wearing phones as they wanted to make the end run decisions and not be part of the run up to situations like the one described.  Landry hate head phones and would only use a special phone he had made up for him that he could turn off at will.  The head coach is the president and should take responsibility on all calls.  I think based on  this and past games there should be a thorough house cleanning.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

The old "No Gain Dayne." 

That is who I meant instead of Jarrod Bunche... a glitch on my part.  So many Giants games and so many names.  If they ever gave awards for running sideways before hitting a line then No Gain Dayne would have won them all.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:40 AM, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Wow blast from the past bro... so true.  Always looking for the homerun instead three to four yards and a cloud of dust.  You know move the chains.

He was tiptoeing into contact all day. He even went in backwards on one play.

2 hours ago, Treehugger said:

He was tiptoeing into contact all day. He even went in backwards on one play.

I was feeling the pain from the past Tree... these guys don't know Lombardi... three yards an cloud of dust.  Get in there and get them yards.  DFNG revival...