SportsWrath

Draft day thoughts

Tempest

17 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I seriously doubt DG drafts OL with the 2nd round pick. Possibly not even the 3rd round as well. DG seems content with our current OL.

A GM who thinks he needs OL doesn't pass on Slater or Vera-Tucker when they fall into his lap like that.

Decent guys are still out there in the 2nd, but it won't matter for DG. He's going defense all the way with this next pick.

Anyhow...it never should have come to this, where we're relying on middle round draft picks to upgrade the OL this year from it's current mediocre state. That's all on DG neglecting it during free agency and then passing on top OL talent in the draft. It's another botched year.

Good GMs don't pass on an extra 1st round pick the following year either.    What DG did wasn't in a vaccuum and Toney may turn out to be a game changer for us in the same way Saquon is.  

Just now, Nas said:

Good GMs don't pass on an extra 1st round pick the following year either.    What DG did wasn't in a vaccuum and Toney may turn out to be a game changer for us in the same way Saquon is.  

He's setting up the next GM with some good 2022 draft picks, and good talent at WR indeed.

Also day two targets.

Sam Cosmi and Wyatt Davis are still there, both guys would start day one on the Oline.

Plus there are some round three OL prospects who would be good additions to the team. 

The Edge guys got picked later in round one so hopefully they wait till round 3.

I'm thinking it's OL or LB in round 2.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

He's setting up the next GM with some good 2022 draft picks, and good talent at WR indeed.

Well considering he was talking about retiring last year due to his health, I don't see why this is a bad thing.

Sounds like you should just take this season off Shakes go find something that makes you happy.

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also day two targets.

Sam Cosmi and Wyatt Davis are still there, both guys would start day one on the Oline.

Plus there are some round three OL prospects who would be good additions to the team. 

The Edge guys got picked later in round one so hopefully they wait till round 3.

Plenty of good OL who will be around at #42 and #76 for DG to pass on.

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Well considering he was talking about retiring last year due to his health, I don't see why this is a bad thing.

Sounds like you should just take this season off Shakes go find something that makes you happy.

It won't be his choice after this season.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Also day two targets.

A few good tackles who project to play at guard available too.  

2 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

A few good tackles who project to play at guard available too.  

Yeah even soke third round guys have decent grades on them.

There wasn't any big name OL this year. 

After Sewell the OL group is all just basically the same blob of talent.

Glad the Giants didn't pick one at #11 and decided to get a draft haul instead.

Just now, mastershake said:

It won't be his choice. He'll be canned.

Probably not since his contract was done with this year and he's been talking about retirement regardless.

Even if the Giants have a winning year DG probably steps down and we let the guy they brought in from Carolina? Be the new GM.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah even soke third round guys have decent grades on them.

There wasn't any big name OL this year. 

After Sewell the OL group is all just basically the same blob of talent.

Glad the Giants didn't pick one at #11 and decided to get a draft haul instead.

There is also the possibility picks play better than where they were drafted, or players on the team improving.    

After the draft people are always already calling mid rounders future stars. 

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Probably not since his contract was done with this year and he's been talking about retirement regardless.

Even if the Giants have a winning year DG probably steps down and we let the guy they brought in from Carolina? Be the new GM.

Right...either way he leaves us in good draft position for 2022 with two top 15 picks (after the losing season this year). I can't wait to see the next GM build a component OL.

Just now, Pdouble said:

There is also the possibility picks play better than where they were drafted, or players on the team improving.    

I mean you have to assume that Judge and company convinced DG and Mara they didn't need an Oline.

It's as much on the coaching staff as it is DG and Mara we are rolling with who we have.

Like I said before it's a make or break year for the Giants.

Can't wait.

Or I guess I should just assume this team is going to be 1-16 and hate everything about this season.

Just now, Pdouble said:

I think that is the key thing.

I suspect.... if the young OL guys weren't putting in the work and giving the staff reason to believe they'll keep improving, the OL would be much more of a priority than we've seen. 

I know it doesn't always proceed on a linear track, but they started last year as a historically bad unit, and at some point about midseason improved substantially to the below-average realm.... they have to be looking at that progression and expecting it to continue. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I mean you have to assume that Judge and company convinced DG and Mara they didn't need an Oline.

It's as much on the coaching staff as it is DG and Mara we are rolling with who we have.

Like I said before it's a make or break year for the Giants.

Can't wait.

Or I guess I should just assume this team is going to be 1-16 and hate everything about this season.

This is precisely what happened. I say again, they deluded themselves into thinking they can work with this

LT: Thomas

LG: Lemieux

C: Gates

RG: Hernandez

RT: Peart

Backups: Harrison, Fulton, Solder

I can already tell you right now what's going to happen too...one of these guys is going to get hurt fairly early on, and when the OL inevitably sucks, we will be blaming the injury...not the GM...especially if it's Thomas or Gates hurt.

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think that is the key thing.

I suspect.... if the young OL guys weren't putting in the work and giving the staff reason to believe they'll keep improving, the OL would be much more of a priority than we've seen. 

I know it doesn't always proceed on a linear track, but they started last year as a historically bad unit, and at some point about midseason improved substantially to the below-average realm.... they have to be looking at that progression and expecting it to continue. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. 

Relying on one or two new/inexperienced OL to improve dramatically...that's fine.

Relying on four to five to improve dramatically is the failed giants formula of the last several years.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Toney will likely be a good pro.

Unfortunately he'll be playing with another inept Giants OL for the 7th year in a row, that can't block on another 10 loss team this season.

maybe you should take a short break Shakes ....this O line obsession of yours is eating you up !

....and this is a more talented , better coached team than 6 wins IMHO

regards UK  

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

This is precisely what happened. I say again, they deluded themselves into thinking they can work with this

LT: Thomas

LG: Lemieux

C: Gates

RG: Hernandez

RT: Peart

Backups: Harrison, Fulton, Solder

I can already tell you right now what's going to happen too...one of these guys is going to get hurt fairly early on, and when the OL inevitably sucks, we will be blaming the injury...not the GM...especially if it's Thomas or Gates hurt.

So you know the rest of the draft picks, the injuries and the results of next season, got those mega millions numbers?

3 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

maybe you should take a short break Shakes ....this O line obsession of yours is eating you up !

....and this is a more talented , better coached team than 6 wins IMHO

regards UK  

I'm sick and tired of watching the same mediocre OL and offense in general year in year out, and then ending every season bewildered that we can't put together a competent OL.

Year 4 of DG's tenure, where we knew going in that OL was an issue way back in 2018, and we're still going into the 2021 season relying on four guys in the 2nd year at their positions + Will Hernandez (or possibly plus a mid round pick, but I doubt it). This is what I might expect in year 2 of a GM...not year 4.

1 minute ago, Pdouble said:

So you know the rest of the draft picks, the injuries and the results of next season, got those mega millions numbers?

Even without a potential injury, going into the season relying on four starters in year 2 at their positions to all turn it on + Will Hernandez (or a mid round draft pick) to figure it out is wishful thinking.

As far as knowing the rest of the draft picks...I'm telling you, if DG and the Giants weren't content with their current OL, they would not have a) Spent FA premium assets on everything but the OL and then b) Passed on Slater or Vera-Tucker when they fell into their laps. If DG and the GIants thought OL was a big need, they wouldn't have done this.

97% certain picks #42 and #76 will be defense...maybe, maybe #76 could be a TE if Hunter Long falls, or if they find themselves believing in Tommy Tremble. Only a very small, remote likelihood that they draft OL with the next two picks.

As far as rounds 4-6. That's where I'd bet on the OL pick...in their view, for depth.