SportsWrath

Had this discussion on the weekend.

BlueInCanada

So on Sunday I watched with a friend of mine as his Cardinals played and won one of the best game of the year in the NFL so far.

And we got to talking, how did the Cardinals end up like this when literally two years ago they were the worst team in the NFL.

2018: Hired Wilks, draft Rosen, go 3-13.

2019: Fire Wilks, hire Kliff, get Kyler, go 5-11

2020: Playoff contenders in one of the strongest divisions in football.

What it made me realize is just how fucking ass backwards the Giants have been doing things the last 8 years.

2016: Fire Coughlin, Hire McAdoo, keep JR, have fluke year and go to the playoffs where they are exposed.

2017: Fire McAdoo, midway through the year, fire JR at seasons end.

2018: Hire DG and let him pick his staff, he hires an offensive minded HC in Shurmur but force him to play Eli an aging QB over the hill.

2019: Keep Eli, but then let that HC draft a QB to develop in Jones.

2020: Fire that HC who was getting results with Jones, and replace him with a prospect Judge who no experience, hire a retread at OC in Garrett, keep DG.

2021: Fire DG? Force the new GM to keep Judge and Jones? Do you keep Garrett? If not that's three new systems for Jones in as many years, you basically ruin the kid at this point.

Mara needs a kick in the nuts by the way for how he ran this team since 2015.

I sort of hope the only casualty this year is DG and we have a go in 2021 with Judge and the same coaching staff.

Give this young team a chance with a proper offseason , training camp , a good draft if we are lucky ( to improve the line and WRs ) , maybe get SB back healthy.

I like Jones and I hope it works out. 
We won’t really know the answer until 2021

Honestly, I don't think even Bellichick would make a difference here. He wouldn't be able to produce wins with what he'd have here. Teams need time for things to gel and nobody wants to give up that time. RESULTS NOW!!! Nobody will wait a couple of seasons for things to come together, to draft and develop the right guys as opposed to hoping they can fill holes on day one. We all bitch about the O line, yet some lines take years to develop and with the way contracts are structured, even if you nurture a good O line, it gets dismantled. 

I'd be willing to support a team that sucked for 2-3 years with the promise of proper development that led to winning seasons and good team chemistry. Supporting a team that sucks and just keeps on sucking isn't any fun. At all. The culture around here has been the same for years: Gosh, golly, gee whiz, we lost again. We have to do better next week. Next season. Then the same old thing happens. New staff, same shitty results. New draft, same shitty results. Free agent signings, same shitty results. We haven't had a "WOW" free agent signing since Plaxico fucking Burress. Yet other teams manage to pick up players and coaches who actually make their teams better. Love the Gmen to death dammit, but high Holy Christ they make it fucking difficult to do so. 

8 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

Honestly, I don't think even Bellichick would make a difference here. He wouldn't be able to produce wins with what he'd have here. Teams need time for things to gel and nobody wants to give up that time. RESULTS NOW!!! Nobody will wait a couple of seasons for things to come together, to draft and develop the right guys as opposed to hoping they can fill holes on day one. We all bitch about the O line, yet some lines take years to develop and with the way contracts are structured, even if you nurture a good O line, it gets dismantled. 

I'd be willing to support a team that sucked for 2-3 years with the promise of proper development that led to winning seasons and good team chemistry. Supporting a team that sucks and just keeps on sucking isn't any fun. At all. The culture around here has been the same for years: Gosh, golly, gee whiz, we lost again. We have to do better next week. Next season. Then the same old thing happens. New staff, same shitty results. New draft, same shitty results. Free agent signings, same shitty results. We haven't had a "WOW" free agent signing since Plaxico fucking Burress. Yet other teams manage to pick up players and coaches who actually make their teams better. Love the Gmen to death dammit, but high Holy Christ they make it fucking difficult to do so. 

That's what I mean though, and why the Giants have been so stupid these last six years.

When they fired Coughlin, they should of gotten rid of JR and hired outside of the team, not Ben fucking McAdoo.

Then they start the years of being a team in rebuilding.

Instead they decided that 1) The Eli era needs to go on for 4 four seasons 2) They are going to keep trying to win with Eli and a regressing roster with no major turn over 3) Hiring from within the franchise, or former Giant coaches/players is the way to go (McAdoo, Getty, Shurmur, etc)

See when the Giants got DG and he picked Shurmur I thought "Finally they are going to start the rebuilding process, let's turn the roster over and turn the page on the Eli era"

Instead DG convinced that dumb fuck Mara that "YOU CAN WIN AND COMPETE WHILE REBUILDING WITH 37 YEAR OLD QB!"

Then the year after they let Shurmur go and get his QB, they use him as a scapegoat and keep DG around saying "OHHH He's on a short leash!" Like what the fuck does that even mean for a GM? The GM should be allowed to run the team the way he wants, what good is it if he's on the hot seat facing the door of unemployment?

So now here we are, in year two of a half-assed rebuild with our third HC and heading towards our third GM at years end.

And that brings me to my biggest fear;

3 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

I sort of hope the only casualty this year is DG and we have a go in 2021 with Judge and the same coaching staff.

Give this young team a chance with a proper offseason , training camp , a good draft if we are lucky ( to improve the line and WRs ) , maybe get SB back healthy.

I like Jones and I hope it works out. 
We won’t really know the answer until 2021

This is my biggest fear, they tell whoever is the next GM "You need to keep Judge, Jones, etc"

No GM worth a damn in the NFL is going to get shoe stringed to Daniel Jones and a rookie HC.

So what's going to happen? We get another yes man like Gettleman who comes in and tries to keep trying to build this shitty put together roster when they should;

1) Pull the cord on the roster and do a proper rebuild.

2)Hire a GM outside of the "OLD GIANTS WAY" football club. Get some college scout, or one of these GMs who are actually with today's NFL.

3)Do the same thing with HC if the new GM doesn't want Judge. Go get some college coach or some up and coming OC on the team. I'm sick of watching this team sit in the past while the rest of the NFL moves forward with their rosters and schemes. Graham might be the only guy who sticks around.

4)Suck for another year or two while the team properly rebuilds and hopefully by then they can start competing.

The ironic thing is seven or eight years ago, after we lost to the sad-sack Kapernick 49ers, I knew it was time to blow it up with a new coach and GM, and everyone said I was nuts. "Where has that ever worked! Blah blah blah!" 

My reply was, "I dunno... everywhere?" 

If you have sustained success you can get away with keeping either a coach or GM because you're successful, but yeah... I don't get the "we have to keep continuity" thing. "Continuity" for what... so that you can continue to sustain 4-12 seasons? 

I take it one year at a time.  Gentleman is still the GM and I think he has gotten more right than wrong.  Giants missed on the head coach and now we have a new one.  Team is heading in the right direction just lacking in the win department.  I don't waste time complaining about ownership, go cheer for another team is your best choice.  Yeah are hundreds of things the Giants could have done differently to have avoided all this mess, but here we are.  I can hope the worst is behind us and the team stays the course.