SportsWrath

Offensive Line - The Problem

mastershake

10 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Hernandez is looking more and more like a bust. Dude was awful against the Rams. 

haha, I was looking for some good snaps from him. He had like.... two good snaps. 

One was a pretty spectacular diving pancake block, so hey, he'll look good on his 2020 poster. 

24 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Also, Andrew Thomas is currently grading as the worst OL of the top four chosen in the 1st round this year, with Wirfs and Bechton way ahead of him.

still, even after what happened to Wirfs last night? 

Becton has put some ridiculous stuff on film, but he's hurt now, and he's one of those guys that plays balls to the fucking wall in his own way. We'll see what kind of player he really is after the NFL has more film on him. If he's still playing like this after half a season, he's really something special. 

8 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

still, even after what happened to Wirfs last night? 

Becton has put some ridiculous stuff on film, but he's hurt now, and he's one of those guys that plays balls to the fucking wall in his own way. We'll see what kind of player he really is after the NFL has more film on him. If he's still playing like this after half a season, he's really something special. 

You mean this? 

https://streamable.com/hclabr

Thomas has had some rough games, but he was never Khalil Mack's bitch. 

34 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

So the line still sucks, but is anyone else starting to think Gates is starting to look pretty good out there? I went back and watched a little more, hoping to see something good. No, worse than I thought actually, except for Gates.

Gates is having his troubles just like every other offensive lineman.  This year instead of having one or two players struggling, its all five.  It doesn't mean they suck and need to be replaced but they need to iron out their individual play and work together to make up for the problems the guy next to him is experiencing.

The line will gel eventually and Gates my be everything Columbo and the Giants believe Gates can be.  Right now watching to see how they finish this season because I'm not expecting a turnaround next game.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

So the line still sucks, but is anyone else starting to think Gates is starting to look pretty good out there? I went back and watched a little more, hoping to see something good. No, worse than I thought actually, except for Gates.

It's a process and one I hope the Giants don't try to pull the plug on to fast.

Sure get guys like Peart and Lemioux their player time when you can but the core of this line needs to start getting experience together.

Think of that Oline in 2005, the core of Sudbury, Diehl, O'Hara and McKenzie played together for multiple years before they eventually jettisoned Pettigout in 2007 and kicked Diehl to the outside.

That was one of the best Olines in the NFL for the length they played.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Gates is having his troubles just like every other offensive lineman.  This year instead of having one or two players struggling, its all five.  It doesn't mean they suck and need to be replaced but they need to iron out their individual play and work together to make up for the problems the guy next to him is experiencing.

The line will gel eventually and Gates my be everything Columbo and the Giants believe Gates can be.  Right now watching to see how they finish this season because I'm not expecting a turnaround next game.

I do think it is mostly team work issues when it comes to Hernandez and Gates.

Zeitler is finished or secretly hurt, Fleming never should be a starter, and Thomas is .... upon further review... getting worse. After watching a bunch more and focusing on Thomas, I see a guy who is thinking through his assignment out loud in his head. I'm almost certain that is it, he had a brutal hesitance often this week.

20 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I do think it is mostly team work issues when it comes to Hernandez and Gates.

Zeitler is finished or secretly hurt, Fleming never should be a starter, and Thomas is .... upon further review... getting worse. After watching a bunch more and focusing on Thomas, I see a guy who is thinking through his assignment out loud in his head. I'm almost certain that is it, he had a brutal hesitance often this week.

I don't think Zeitler is hurt, just a lack of trust in the ability of Gates/Fleming.  That is something which will improve.

35 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Peart looked pretty decent at LT. Does he stay there going forward, and do we move Thomas over to RT? I'd be pretty happy if these guys are the two starting tackles for the gmen for the next 8 years.

I hope we just found our era's Jumbo Elliot.

too many times yesterday I found myself saying, hey, nice pocket! --- then who do we see at LT?... Peart. If I'm the coach, he's the LT going forward. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Honestly the O-line played pretty well yesterday. Jones was only pressured on 25% of his dropbacks as opposed to the usual 60%. 

Receivers still couldn't separate but at least we can't blame the line this week. 

What receivers?   I only know one.   

• 3 weeks later...