SportsWrath

Giants acquired ILB Alec Ogletree from the Rams in exchange for two draft picks. Mar 7 - 4:01 PM Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Gman329

Naww I think he'll stay inside.

I think Vernon and Robinson will play outside.

Vernon Ogletree Keenard Roinson

JPP Snacks Tomlinson

The money backer is inside Robinson and Kennard are free agents

Dude is 6-2 242... thats a good size for LB. that clears my Underweight concerns I had with this trade

I don't believe a LB should be a certain weight... There's a whole lot that goes into making a tackle other than the tackler's weight...

A LB who has been relatively healthy, save 1 season due to broken leg. A linebacker who is young having just 4 or 5 years in the league. A linebacker who is productive, getting 100+ tackles in 3 seasons (I believe that's what I read). And last year stepped up in the big plays with a couple sacks and an interception.

That level of our defense has been sorely lacking for years and I believe he improves it instantly based on the above alone. Fit in scheme...I think that's overrated to a degree and I think that it's also coachable. It's clear this guy can find the ball and has the ability to get there. It's up to the coaches now to put him in the right position to do so.

A 4th and a 6th this year, getting a 7th back. I think it's a good deal. If that 4th is our compensatory pick that comes at the end of the round, then I think it's a great deal. The cap hit is a bit of a concern, but with years remaining, and with his youth allowing for potential extensions...I think there's flexibility there.

Lastly, I think this move assures us that Norwell is coming to the offensive line. Gettleman and virtually every other decision maker has stated the offensive line is the priority. And a bigger move like this one, I don't see getting done until some offensive line pieces are starting to fall into place. If we now trade down in the 1st round, acquire a few more picks and still get the guard out of Notre Dame...we're moving in the right direction.

Also from twitter:

For all those worried about the salary cap (and really don't understand it) #Giants will likely turn Ogletree's roster bonus into a signing bonus and instantly his 2018 cap number will be $4.75M.

Just like that $5.25M saved vs. cap, pushed to future years.

Twitter is all knowing...and seeing.

C. Wagon

Interesting stat...he has over 10 passes defensed in each of four years he was a full time starter (excluding 2015, when he was injured for 12 games). I like that. Generally that means he can actually pass cover, unlike Giant LBs for the past five years.

Yeah, it was no secret the Giants could cover the TE.

Yeah, it was no secret the Giants could cover the TE.

Yeah, I'm really gonna miss:

"Witten.....over the middle for 6"

"Witten.....wide open, up the middle for a 1st"

"Witten.....down the middle.....TOUCHDOWN!"

"Witten.....wide open.....uncovered, straight up the middle for a whopping 23 yards and a 4th down conversion"

I wouldn't take anything away from Witten, he's a hell of a TE...but yeah, we've given TE's awfully strong performances over the years. I really thought that Collins was going to solve a lot of that from the safety position, but I'm not so sure he's done so just yet.

I wouldn't take anything away from Witten, he's a hell of a TE...but yeah, we've given TE's awfully strong performances over the years. I really thought that Collins was going to solve a lot of that from the safety position, but I'm not so sure he's done so just yet.

Witten runs patterns like he's on a segway. I don't know how he manages to gets open.

Witten runs patterns like he's on a segway. I don't know how he manages to gets open.

I've been saying this for years.

Witten is the slowest mother fucker on the football field, I mean I've seen Olineman run faster and show more lateral movement.

But Witten is always open for some reason.

I've been saying this for years.

Witten is the slowest mother fucker on the football field, I mean I've seen Olineman run faster and show more lateral movement.

But Witten is always open for some reason.

Agree!

one of the smartest players in the league.... for example, watch him pick apart a zone defense, he always sets up at the exact mid point between zones. He has an amazing field sense.

That's one thing that's been lacking in the Eli era.... before Beckham, the last receiver the Giants had with true field sense was Toomer (and it took him years and years to develop it). Shockey, Burress, the plethora of scrubs who have come and gone.... I continually watch these guys run routes and wonder what the fuck they're looking at out there.

I'm just a little worried about the reports that he was getting run over on inside rushing plays. His tackle totals are impressive but how many of those tackles made it 2nd and 3? I do like the passes defensed numbers - he can clearly cover.....so given the reports of struggling against the run and the documented covering ability, are we so sure the Giants will keep him inside?

And if he does stay inside, maybe Snacks does a better job keeping him clean than the Ram interior did?

I find myself saying the same thing I was saying this time last year: a good team runs the ball and is hard to run against. We've checked neither of those boxes the last few years. We were 26th in rushing, 27th against the run.....and the Rams were 28th against the run. Hence, Ogletree is a Giant today.

Its a concern, but the entire d-line is above average against the run including jpp and Vernon whether they stay on the line or move to olb. The speed, cover skills, character and leadership are all major pluses even if he doesnt end up stuffing a lot of runs

one of the smartest players in the league.... for example, watch him pick apart a zone defense, he always sets up at the exact mid point between zones. He has an amazing field sense.

That's one thing that's been lacking in the Eli era.... before Beckham, the last receiver the Giants had with true field sense was Toomer (and it took him years and years to develop it). Shockey, Burress, the plethora of scrubs who have come and gone.... I continually watch these guys run routes and wonder what the fuck they're looking at out there.

Steve Smith had it until he destroyed his knee.