SportsWrath

Darkhorse picks - first round

Allstarjim

We all know the names that have been discussed at #10, the favorites for the Giants' fans. There's Hargreaves III, DeForest Buckner, Ezekiel Elliott, Laquon Treadwell, Ronnie Stanley (and the other OT's). Let's use this thread to discuss guys who aren't necessarily favorites but could end up being the surprise pick.

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St - All the focus is on VHIII, and for good reason... he's a ridiculous talent. But so is Apple, and he is more of the current NFL prototype at 6'1", with long arms and big hands. Apple has a lot of great film, and he ran a 4.40 40 at the combine, negating any question about his speed. And like Ramsey, his skills would translate well to FS if needed. I expect Apple to have a high grade by the Giants, but it would be a surprise at 10.

A'Shawn Robinson - DT, Alabama - I know what you're thinking... we have Snacks and Big Hank. Plus Cofield is back. Why do we need another DT? Well, A'Shawn is a different breed. He needs to play with a lower pad level at times, but his athleticism at 307 lbs is extraordinary. When he hits people, they go down, instantly. He has the quickness and power that he can even lineup over the OT if the Giants wanted. He is a one man wrecking crew, an intimidating presence, and he would make our defense tougher and meaner.

Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor - Everyone will say that this is way too early for Coleman. But this player has traits about him that are special. He has the potential to have a huge impact for a team right away. He's similar to Odell Beckham size-wise at 5'11", and is even faster. Coleman has 4.3 speed, and is a dynamic leaper... and was named NFL.com's most freakish athlete last year: http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000496312. Seriously, click the link and scroll to the bottom. I predict Coleman will go a lot higher than what a lot of people are expecting, and he'll go ahead of Treadwell. Coleman had twenty touchdowns last season and averaged over 18 yards a catch. CB's MUST give Coleman a big cushion, and even then, he eats it up in a blink. If you take Coleman, you have two WR's across the field from each other that defenses not just respect, but they fear. The one knock I have on Coleman is that if the play isn't coming to him, he seems to take it off. Coaching can fix that, though.

Your turn.

TE Hunter Henry is being talked about as the best TE propect in the last several years. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go a lot earlier than expected.

Yeah? Lots of times the last couple years I've watch the Giants offensive plays unfold and thought to myself, man, would a top notch TE look great in this offensive scheme.

TE Hunter Henry is being talked about as the best TE propect in the last several years. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go a lot earlier than expected.

With how JR has been going nuts with defense in FA, I could see this.

MacAttack being from Green Bay knows the value of a good pass catching TE, the Giant's wouldnt have to worry so much about who is lined up at WR outside with Henry on the team.

I'll add two names.

Kevin Dodd DE. Don't call him dude, the kid is a flat out NFL player, relentless in his pursuit of the QB. Only has a year under his belt in college but he reminds of what JPP was suppose to be, a pass rushing freak.

Jared Goff QB. IF he falls to the Giant's his the best player available at #10. He'll be a starter the moment Eli hangs up the cleats and he can ride the pine and learn from him for a few seasons. He spent a lot of time in shotgun and pistol in college, would make MacAttack happy with his "west coast/Green Bay" like offense.

I remembered they picked up Coefield, but I forgot he was a late season addition and a free agent after the season. You were right... he's not actually a Giant now.

Henry is definitely a dark horse. I watched film of him and I'm not even convinced he's the best TE in the draft, tbh. He'll be a good player, but he's a long way away from being a two-way TE, and that means he's out for a high first round selection. I actually like Nick Vannett from Ohio State a bit more, and am really intrigued by Stanford's Austin Hooper, who had a terrific combine.

Dodd I almost put up in my OP. But I wasn't sure how much of a true darkhorse he is... that guy is exactly the kind of traditional DE the Giants like. And if you put tape of him on, you see a relentless defensive end with serious translatable pass rush skills to the next level.

I remembered they picked up Coefield, but I forgot he was a late season addition and a free agent after the season. You were right... he's not actually a Giant now.

Henry is definitely a dark horse. I watched film of him and I'm not even convinced he's the best TE in the draft, tbh. He'll be a good player, but he's a long way away from being a two-way TE, and that means he's out for a high first round selection. I actually like Nick Vannett from Ohio State a bit more, and am really intrigued by Stanford's Austin Hooper, who had a terrific combine.

Dodd I almost put up in my OP. But I wasn't sure how much of a true darkhorse he is... that guy is exactly the kind of traditional DE the Giants like. And if you put tape of him on, you see a relentless defensive end with serious translatable pass rush skills to the next level.

I just said Dodd because he's not expected to go within the top 10 of the draft, some even say with guys like Buckner/Bosa/Mack and even Lawson having a good showing at the combine he'll be pushed to the second round.

I personally think Dodd is the best pass rushing DE in the draft, which is why I think the Giants would go crazy to get him.