SportsWrath

Tom Coughlin press conference 10:30am EST

Allstarjim

What did Reese say?

Starts by saying the blame is his (Reese) and then goes on, for most of the time, how we were in every game and lost them all at the end... maybe my hatred of Reese is blinding me but that reeked of blaming the coaching. He also got very defensive when his draft record was brought up by Jordan Ranan.

Again, I'm so disgusted with Reese I may be reading too much into it. I'm having a hard time accepting this firing and may need some help.... *runs to vaporizer*

Starts by saying the blame is his (Reese) and then goes on, for most of the time, how we were in every game and lost them all at the end... maybe my hatred of Reese is blinding me but that reeked of blaming the coaching. He also got very defensive when his draft record was brought up by Jordan Ranan.

Again, I'm so disgusted with Reese I may be reading too much into it. I'm having a hard time accepting this firing and may need some help.... *runs to vaporizer*

When Reese came to the podium, Eli and most (or all, not sure) of the team got up from their seats and left before he started speaking.

Don't know what to read into that, but have to believe there is some inside turmoil heating up.

Thing that really annoys me about Reese bringing up the late losses is that if we simply had average nfl caliber players instead of bums... we never would have been in those situations! The games would have been done and won earlier in the 4th quarters.

If you didn't get to watch it, here are the highlights from Coughlin, Mara, & Reese:

Coughlin:

• Of course thanked by name all the staff, front office, ownership, family, and friends, and thanked the fans as well. Got choked up when talking about Judy.
  • Talked about how the thing that drove him and that he was most proud of was the "unbreakable bond between player and coach." Said how much it meant to him that former players would come up to him and tell him that they loved him, and that they became better men as a result of playing for him.
  • Said his coaching flame is not extinguished, but didn't elaborate further.
  • As said previously in the thread, spoke about how Eli was the son you'd want to have, said Eli thinks that this is his fault, but said it wasn't. Said, "When we win, it's the players. When we lose, it's the coach. I know the game."
  • Said he was glad to work for ownership that doesn't panic when the team doesn't convert a third down, then deadpanned, "only when you go 6-10 twice." Could this be an acknowledgement that he knew he wasn't going to be able to stay even if he wanted, or he was indeed asked to step down.
  • Didn't really want to answer questions from assembled media but did so anyway and handled them professionally.
  • Walked right by John Mara when leaving the press room as Mara stood, and did not even look at him as he walked by. Probably nothing... TC acknowledged how he was more nervous for this press conference than anything he has ever done, and isn't the type to make a public display.

John Mara:

• Talked about the immense contributions Coughlin made to this organization.
  • Said Coughlin was the first to say it's time for him to step down, but that "if anything it was mutual," and "all good things must come to an end."
  • Said that Jerry "knows that this is on him", but believes he's the right man to fix it.
  • In defending those comments, said Reese "built two Super Bowl winning rosters."
  • Said that in the last couple of seasons the draft has been better.
  • Said there will be discussions on personnel department evaluations and decisions.
  • Said Tom was as much a part of personnel decisions as any coach could be, and couldn't remember a time when a player "was forced on him."
  • Said he and Reese alone will handle first round of interviews for next head coach.
  • Said he wouldn't rule out trading a draft pick for the next head coach.
  • Said he wouldn't rule out choosing a college coach.
  • Said that Spagnuolo did the best he could with what he had to work with.
  • In terms of staff, said they would make recommendations to the next head coach but that the next coach ultimately needs to decide who his staff is going to be.
  • Said both McAdoo and Spags will be interviewed.
  • Was complimentary of McAdoo and how the offense has improved under him, and that he has shown some leadership and good qualities.
  • Said the next coach would not necessarily have Giants' ties, it's a factor, but not a deciding factor.
  • When asked if a new voice was needed for the team, lauded the effort of the players, alluding to how Coughlin had not lost his team, a new voice wasn't the issue, saying that it was just time, and that Tom would be the first to say that.

Reese:

• Talked about his great friendship with Tom and grateful for their relationship, all he has learned from him, and said he told him that he loved him.
  • While acknowledging that they have missed on picks, and said he "takes full responsibility for the roster," then seemed to defer some responsibility, saying that everyone is involved in choosing personnel, then following up with saying he takes full responsibility again.
  • Talked about how the season could've turned out differently if just a few plays went the other way, acknowledging how the Giants lost 8 games by a combined 26 points and in the last 30 seconds or so. Said luck plays a part of it and you always need to have some luck.
  • Reiterated that personnel department will be under review as well as strength and conditioning, said that again the team is in the bottom of the league in injuries despite making some changes. Said "we do the GPS."
  • Went at length about how injuries played a huge part in the failure of the season, specifically referencing the safeties they lost early, JPP, Kennard, and Hankins.
  • When talking about Spags' side of the ball, said that during a part of the season, they were stopping the run and one of the top teams in getting turnovers, again referencing injuries as a factor in that falling off over the course of the season.
  • Said there is a list of candidates, of course would not elaborate.
  • Got very defensive when a reporter said asked why he has not been able to find players in the middle to late rounds like other teams have. Reese said "have you researched that? Do you know that to be fact? I wouldn't ask that question unless you know" that to be fact. In captain obvious moment, said that there is a lot less talent in the middle to late rounds.
  • Said he is tougher than he looks, he has thick skin, and sees the big picture in the NFL, when asked why he still thinks he's the right man for the job.
  • Said you build the team through the draft, will be that was as long as he is there. Did say they will be active in free agency as the cap situation is better than it has been in the past few years.

Did anyone catch his passionate statement, "it's important to win the right way, the right way".

He said it with a bit of anger in his voice and I could not help but think it was directed at Belichick and maybe a couple other coaches in the NFL.

TC is the polar opposite of Belichick. Tom wants to win, but win by everyone doing their best and playing as a team. Belichick could care less about character and only cares about winning and if he can find a way to cheat and win, he'll do it every single time. TC would never cheat to add a few wins on his résumé.

Yes, but I didn't take it as a slight to other teams. I think he meant it as a point of pride that it was a core principle of his and what he tried to teach his players. However, what he said there is exactly why I have reservations about Sean Payton.

I thought Reese was saying this as an acknowledgement that the team didn't have the ball bounce their way this year, they didn't have any luck, he acknowledged that you always need some luck. I didn't think he meant it as a slight to Coughlin, just that he was saying the team was competitive and if the ball bounced a little differently things could've turned out a lot differently, saying "we might not be having a lot of the conversations we are having today."

Eli and OBJ have gone to Mara and are campaigning for McAdoo to be made head coach. I have to think that the limited number of stars on the team - and in particular, the two best players - probably have some pull here, especially Eli who will be the coach on the field for the next 4 years.

For those who missed it, here's the press conference (the youtube clip is distorted, but the one on the Giants page is clean):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3oOzzWwP4

For a cleaner version, you can go to the Giants homepage here: http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Watch-Tom-Coughlin-John-Mara-and-Jerry-Reese-Press-Conferences/b5c08b96-7e4f-4580-b142-832ff713239f

Mara said that he asked Coughlin to think about how he could help the organization in the next few days, and Coughlin said he would. Didn't want him to completely break ties. Said he could be an advisor on personnel, and that TC is a good evaluator of talent. Of course, you're the owner, you should be offering the jobs. Coughlin isn't going to come back and say, hire me for so and so job.

Reese also mentioned the JPP injury several times, saying that was tough to overcome, and that a pass rush is essential to be successful in the NFL, and "tough to find players of JPP's caliber" in that area.

Sounds like Reese spent his time deflecting blame outside of the mandatory 'I accept responsibility' statement for which he would've been completely torched had he left out. I like the owner pointing the finger at Reese and placing the utmost responsibility on him. Mara seemed to almost tell Reese that it was his fault Coughlin was leaving...yes, he stopped short of saying that, but you can almost read through the lines and get that.

I'd like Coughlin to be on the staff somewhere, in a Dungy type role mentoring younger players. You could put Coughlin in charge of player development...leave all the meetings and x's and o's to someone else...and let his focus be on developing these guys as human beings....something their college coaches should be doing.

At 70 years old, I really have to wonder. If the thing that motivates him most was working with players and developing them as young men...if he can still do that and not have to worry about the performance on the field per se, it might be more desirable than it'd be at first blush.

I'd be surprised if he took another head coaching job at his age. I would love to see him working with the players somehow, but I don't know what kind of position that would take.

He said he plans on working full time for his "Jay Fund", a non-profit foundation that gives 100% of it's contributions directly to children with cancer. No paid staff and no money taken out for clerical supplies. Their goal this year is 10 million dollars and so far, have raised 6 million. It's an excellent foundation for anyone who would like to donate to a worthy cause. I hope the contributions will pour in along with a note of thanks to TC for everything.

Did anyone see at the very end of the interview where Tom walked right by Mara as he was leaving the stage?

Yes, my first reaction was, "WOW, TC just dissed John Mara hard!" But as I thought about it, I could see how it was an awkward and nervous moment for TC... his whole life was coaching the Giants and this press conference signaled the very end. And I think he wouldn't have wanted to do anything in front of the assembled media, either.

Yes, my first reaction was, "WOW, TC just dissed John Mara hard!" But as I thought about it, I could see how it was an awkward and nervous moment for TC... his whole life was coaching the Giants and this press conference signaled the very end. And I think he wouldn't have wanted to do anything in front of the assembled media, either.

I thought I saw Mara stand up to shake his hand or something, and TOM just walked right on by. after seeing that and him telling Eli it wasn't his fault......I bet there's some really bad blood between them now.

I thought I saw Mara stand up to shake his hand or something, and TOM just walked right on by. after seeing that and him telling Eli it wasn't his fault......I bet there's some really bad blood between them now.

I don't know. I can see it that way but I can see that he just wanted to get out of there, too.

Damn, Pdub, Eli was barely holding it together. I hope this inspires him for next year to be even better.