SportsWrath

Bill Polian: Tom Coughlin doesn’t fit my firing criteria

Mr. P

Former Colts president Bill Polian remembers watching from the booth when Tom Coughlin made a similar decision to the one for which the Giants coach is getting skewered this week.

The Giants went for a touchdown on fourth-and-goal from the Saints’ 2-yard line. That was in the first quarter, not the fourth quarter like Coughlin’s call against the Jets, and it ended in an Eli Manning touchdown pass instead of a momentum-changing interception. But a month apart, the reasoning remains the same.

“My radio partner asked me why Coughlin is going for it, and I said, ‘Because he knows what kind of defense he has.’ He needs to get as many points as possible,” said Polian, now an analyst for Sirius XM and ESPN.

The Giants head into the weekend at 5-7, but in a three-way tie for first place in the putrid NFC East. Coughlin faces a four-game stretch — starting with a matchup with the Dolphins on Monday night — that is very likely to determine whether he will get a 13th season to coach the Giants.

“My first rule of thumb was: Is the head coach getting the most out of his staff? And are he and his staff getting the most out of the players that they have? If the answer to those are yes, then move on to what the second step is and what the problem actually is, because if that’s the case, then it’s not coaching,” said Polian, who spent 20 years running the Bills, Panthers and Colts and fired only one head coach — Jim Mora in 2001 in Indianapolis.

In Polian’s estimation, Coughlin is not at the root of the late-game meltdowns that have thwarted the Giants’ season at every turn.

“I think it’s very simple. Even now with Jason Pierre-Paul giving them some semblance of a pass rush, they have not been able to rush the passer in close games on defense, and offensively they have not been able to run the ball,” Polian said.

“With the lead, you have to control the ball and you have to do it largely on the ground, and with the injuries to the offensive line, they really don’t have anyone that can do that with any consistency. If you are going to finish, you have to have pass-rushers and someone who can tote the leather like [the Jets’] Chris Ivory, for example, can.”

Those issues — the futures of Coughlin and GM Jerry Reese, who put this suspect roster together — will be for the offseason. What lays ahead this month for these Giants is a chance to steal the division and the shot at another miraculous Super Bowl run that comes with it.

“I hope for their sake JPP will get better and be able to finish. You hope they can find a healthy offensive line, but who knows with Ereck Flowers’ status now?” Polian said,

“And I would echo Tom, and this goes back to the second Super Bowl under him. Someone asked what’s the secret to getting back on track, and he said, ‘All we have to do is win a football game.’ That’s exactly what it is. Find some way to win it.”

http://nypost.com/2015/12/10/ex-nfl-gm-tom-coughlin-doesnt-fit-my-firing-criteria/

Polian is not off on what plagues the Giants though, we could a use a bellcow at RB. If Derrick Henry is still there in round two I would be all for it, also need a pass rusher, one sack would of ended most of those games. I am hoping for Emmanuel Ogbah from Ok St in round one and Henry in round two

Polian is not off on what plagues the Giants though, we could a use a bellcow at RB. If Derrick Henry is still there in round two I would be all for it, also need a pass rusher, one sack would of ended most of those games. I am hoping for Emmanuel Ogbah from Ok St in round one and Henry in round two

I'm thinking if we get a Guard, Right Tackle, WR, RB, DT to go with Hankins, Left Defensive End, Free Safety, and linebacking corp this team could be a serious contender next year.

I mean, seriously... we're 2-3 in the worst division in football. We've fired our Offensive and Defensive coordinators... what are we going to do, fire Tom Quinn? Unfortunately it looks like we're going to be stuck with Reese, but Coughlin is part of the problem too.

I don't care what anyone says... many fans (myself included) raged against the decision BEFORE the ball was snapped... it was football 101. Easily the Giants have given away 3 games this season... just gave them away. Saint Coughlin is leading this ship and it's been sinking... Thanks for the memories (and the heartburn) old man...

I agree Tom has a shit roster. Our best pass rusher is working with an oven mitt.

As Polian suggested, they have a shit defense and no running game. To me, it's like watching Hot Rod trying to jump a pool with a moped....the gambles are going to fail.

Tom gambled and lost....and has all season. In a more fair world, injuries would not wipe out the few guys that are actually good, leaving a skeleton crew of losers and 2nd stringers. And in a fair world, some of those gambles would pay off.

But everything has blown up in their face, and part of the reason is a stubborn refusal to play the clock and the percentages.

I credit TC for believing in his guys. I've lost faith in Reese's ability to find football players.

I don't care what anyone says... many fans (myself included) raged against the decision BEFORE the ball was snapped... it was football 101. Easily the Giants have given away 3 games this season... just gave them away. Saint Coughlin is leading this ship and it's been sinking... Thanks for the memories (and the heartburn) old man...

+1

Like you, I was against that call, as well as against how they handled the Dallas game and the Patriots game. They almost let the Bills back into it as well.

Don't want to beat it to death, but if you go against the odds with a weak team, you are going to lose more than win, and I think the record reflects that.

I don't want to see Coughlin fired. But I think he should retire, and if he refuses, and is fired, I think his decisions this season will be part of the rationale.

I understand you need justification to fire someone...the questionable 4th quarter decisions, the lack of depth at most positions, and the streak we have going at missing the playoffs...to me, have eroded the goodwill built on the two superbowl wins. It's time to win again...and I just don't see it happening unless the other teams in our division screw up the rest of the way bad enough that we are forced into the playoffs.

I don't see us winning both Minnesota and Carolina. Really, I think 2-2 down the stretch is the best we'll see and that's if there's a fluke game where we win handedly. In reality, I'm thinking we could be looking at 1-3 or losing out, especially if we don't get the win against Miami.

I understand you need justification to fire someone...the questionable 4th quarter decisions, the lack of depth at most positions, and the streak we have going at missing the playoffs...to me, have eroded the goodwill built on the two superbowl wins. It's time to win again...and I just don't see it happening unless the other teams in our division screw up the rest of the way bad enough that we are forced into the playoffs.

I don't see us winning both Minnesota and Carolina. Really, I think 2-2 down the stretch is the best we'll see and that's if there's a fluke game where we win handedly. In reality, I'm thinking we could be looking at 1-3 or losing out, especially if we don't get the win against Miami.

I agree.

I love TC but I think it is time to turn the page if this team misses the playoffs.

But if Tom goes and Reese stays, I expect another 5 years of bad football.

Coughin has worked under 2 GMs. With all due respect to the 2007 draft class, those 2 SB wins were largely the product of Ernies guys. That 2011 win would never had been possible if not for Eli and Coughlin. The foundational cracks were already apparent in 2011, notably an offensive line that was on its last legs.

If Coughlin is fired, much of the blame will go to Reese. Reese was a much better scout than GM.

I'm thinking if we get a Guard, Right Tackle, WR, RB, DT to go with Hankins, Left Defensive End, Free Safety, and linebacking corp this team could be a serious contender next year.

I mean, seriously... we're 2-3 in the worst division in football. We've fired our Offensive and Defensive coordinators... what are we going to do, fire Tom Quinn? Unfortunately it looks like we're going to be stuck with Reese, but Coughlin is part of the problem too.

Reese has built a crap roster. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them go, but looks like Reese is staying because he drafted OBJ. He also signed Schwartz in free agency who may be the worst RG in the NFL, decided Adrien Robinson was good enough to never look elsewhere at TE, resigned an always injured Beason without a plan B at MLB and was about three years late on building the rest of the Oline. Oh yeah, and letting Joseph walk etc...

Reese has built a crap roster. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them go, but looks like Reese is staying because he drafted OBJ. He also signed Schwartz in free agency who may be the worst RG in the NFL, decided Adrien Robinson was good enough to never look elsewhere at TE, resigned an always injured Beason without a plan B at MLB and was about three years late on building the rest of the Oline. Oh yeah, and letting Joseph walk etc...

Great points.

And the main reason Linval is gone is because Reese did such a shit job in the draft that holes needed to be patched in free agency, which sucked money out of the bank that could have been used to keep the few hits he has had.

But I also look at our running game, see with my own eyes that Darkwa has the most pop, and wonder why we are rotating 4 guys and running inside against the Jets.

Plenty of blame to go around, and I'd have to go back to the Tiki Barber years to find a less steady performance by the coaching staff.

Ogbah has a name the Giants love. Is he oft-injured?.... If so this is a no brainer.

Ogbah has a name the Giants love. Is he oft-injured?.... If so this is a no brainer.

Nope, he was born in Nigeria though. Maybe Reese will draft a LB early. We could get a DE in round two like Calhoun(who is from Middletown) or Carl Nassib

Pdub, you gotta remember, as I often have to remind myself: the level of discourse here, especially on this topic, doesn't stray much past middle school: he's a bum, he's retarded, fuck him, etc.

I recognize that there are valid arguments for TC to go. The clock errors and the shelf life theory are legitimate points. I would continue to argue that he's gotten as much as possible out of not just a weak roster but an injury induced revolving door line up, so he's got back ups playing for back ups, with no continuity, to boot! But it's hard to have an adult conversation sometimes.

Pdub, you gotta remember, as I often have to remind myself: the level of discourse here, especially on this topic, doesn't stray much past middle school: he's a bum, he's retarded, fuck him, etc.

I recognize that there are valid arguments for TC to go. The clock errors and the shelf life theory are legitimate points. I would continue to argue that he's gotten as much as possible out of not just a weak roster but an injury induced revolving door line up, so he's got back ups playing for back ups, with no continuity, to boot! But it's hard to have an adult conversation sometimes.

True, I've edited my post.