SportsWrath

Donnell and DeOssie to I.R.

Mr. P

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago

Giants put 2 on IR: Long snapper Zak DeOssie (hadn't missed a game since he was drafted in '07) and TE Larry Donnell (neck).

Dan Graziano @DanGrazianoESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Giants signed former Patriots long-snapper Danny Aiken to take DeOssie's place. Also signed CB Tramain Jacobs from practice squad.

How many other teams in the league have a guy signed just to be a longsnapper? I thought most teams roll that into a backup somewhere else on the roster. Sure, DeOssie could play another position I'm sure, but be honest...he's signed strictly to long snap. I think his position could be absorbed into one of the backups currently on the roster.

How many other teams in the league have a guy signed just to be a longsnapper? I thought most teams roll that into a backup somewhere else on the roster. Sure, DeOssie could play another position I'm sure, but be honest...he's signed strictly to long snap. I think his position could be absorbed into one of the backups currently on the roster.

He's always one of the first guys down to make a tackle too. I like DeOssie on the giants.

In a perfect world, yes, that's true.......like we used to have Jay Alford. But it ain't that easy. Good long snappers aren't plentiful and we're not the only team that uses a roster spot for one. And Zak D is considered one of the best - hell, he was chosen by Andy Reid as a "player of need" for the Pro Bowl a few years back.

Don't get me wrong, I like DeOssie too for his ability to get down and make tackles, being the lunch-pail kind of guy. Just looking at it from a team perspective...with the injuries we constantly seem to have, having that extra roster spot might be a consideration when DeOssie moves on.

Don't get me wrong, I like DeOssie too for his ability to get down and make tackles, being the lunch-pail kind of guy. Just looking at it from a team perspective...with the injuries we constantly seem to have, having that extra roster spot might be a consideration when DeOssie moves on.

You make an excellent point.

However that said I have no issue keeping the guy around