SportsWrath

Article: Evaluating the Tenure of New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese

Mr. P

Reese is gonna get another shot, I've always believed it.

Little Mara and Co will give him a chance to bring in "his coach/qb".

I believe he's warranted it.

At the very least I think JR fires Spags/MacAttack, which more then likely forces Coughlin to hang up the headset which I'm sure is followed by a high up front office job at Gints HQ.

I would have waited until the end of the season to make the evaluation but I don't get paid to so why wait.

Reese has done an average job, years you are glad he is here and others you wish he was gone. That sums up New York Giants football going back as far as you want. We have good years, bad years and four super bowls sandwiched in there.

Reese could have fired Tom Coughlin at any point and has chosen not to so it has to be writer imagination to think Reese has someone else who can coach the team. Firing Tom Coughlin will cost Jerry Reese his job, because there are no better choices.

Changing for the sake of change isn't a good plan.

If TC steps down or is axed, I guess the coordinators will be gone, too......but when you look at the personnel they've had to work with, specifically the pass rush-less DL, mediocre LBs and the perpetually one Cornerback short Defense and the mess we call the OL on Offense, they haven't really done a bad job.

At the very least I think JR fires Spags/MacAttack, which more then likely forces Coughlin to hang up the headset which I'm sure is followed by a high up front office job at Gints HQ.

I'm not sure he'd take it. I think he'd just retire.

The article basically says that Reese has shitty drafts and trades, but is decent in free agency... but then goes on to say that Robert Ayers, Casillas, and Jameel McClain have somehow been major contributors.

The team has two problems as I see it: Reese's incredibly shitty drafts from 2008-2012 have left the team hamstrung for talent, and although Coughlin is a good x's and o's guy, he holds on to bad coordinators (Tim Lewis, Perry Fewell, Jerry Palmieri) even when it's obvious they're hurting the team. Coughlin was run out of Jacksonville by Palmieri and he fucking brought him to New York despite this.

Getting rid of TC only fixes half of the problem. Nobody could win with this roster Reese has put together (except of course for Bill Cowher, but that goes without saying). I'd say Reese is at least as culpable, if not more so for the shitty state of the team. He's not totally incompetent but you can't suck at half of your job and realistically expect to keep it.

The Giants really haven't done a great job of getting undrafted free agents or;late round picks to contribute. I would say Reese is pretty average in rounds 1 and 2 but rounds 3-7, he drops off significantly.

Great post, and this quote from her summary nails it:

There is still more work that needs to be done, more clean-up, if you will, before he completely eradicates the damage he did by falling in love with athletes instead of football players.

That has always been my biggest criticism of Reese, he failed to see the difference between gymnastics and football.

Why is the author only focusing on the last six drafts instead of his entire tenure?

I didn't get that either.

If anything, the last two drafts probably shouldn't be counted since we don't really know what we have with them yet.

Reese took guys based on potential and with the archaic coaching staff those guys never reached that potential or they were just bad players. It's probably a little of both. Coughlin is staying I think, he's only leaving when he wants to

Why is the author only focusing on the last six drafts instead of his entire tenure?

I didn't get that either.

If anything, the last two drafts probably shouldn't be counted since we don't really know what we have with them yet.

From the introduction to the article:

In reviewing Reese’s performance, I’m going to look at the last six seasons because, according to the NFLPA, the average length of a NFL player’s career is six years (h/t Statista).

That means that most of the players on the current roster who are approaching or at their prime should have entered the league starting in 2010.

It is funny when people look at the players the Giants have drafted and ignore the guys they picked up after the draft. Giants had a number of players fall into that category.

Oh and Herc you can look at Traina's review from 2008-2013 of the team from last year.

After the 2011 Superbowl win in which Eli Manning pulled every rabbit out of his ass that whole season, I mean seriously...the guy played like John Elway did the 80s when his Broncos were getting smoked in the Superbowls those years. It was basically Manning all on his own with a good core of wide outs. Looking back on it, what he did that season was nothing short of remarkable. No defense, no running game...just his right arm. The Giants as an organization tried to squeeze one more year out of an aging core of veterans on both sides of the ball and make a push. Ernie Accorsi built the team with strengths on the offensive and defensive line and Jerry Reese has yet to plug any of those holes yet, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously Flowers, Richburg and Pugh will be a good nucleus for years to come, assuming Pugh doesn't have to retire prematurely but Reese has really let the Giants team slide into decay.

Look no further than the 2012 NFL draft. David Wilson, Randle and Hosley were all boom or bust players who had high upside, but also high bust probability(I won't comment on Wilson, he just got hurt). All we heard was that Randle was "pro ready" and still in year 4, he's making the same mistakes and in general is a pretty mediocre player. While the "athletically arrogant" Jayron Hosley just sucks.

If Coughlin goes this offseason, I think McAdoo is gone. When McAdoo was hired, he had a real opportunity to prove himself in play calling and running the offense. He's done okay for his first OC gig, but he hasn't exactly proven himself head coach material like it was hoped. I think he was very much hired with the hope and expectation that he'd replace Coughlin, but I just haven't seen enough advancement out of McAdoo yet to see that as a reasonable possibility yet. And for that reason, I think if Coughlin goes, McAdoo goes. Sure, they might give McAdoo an interview to appease him and to make him seem desirable across the league, but I don't see the Giants hiring him as HC.

As for Spags, I think they offer to keep him on as DC. Certainly, they take into account whatever the new HC wants, but Spags hasn't been back long enough to really make much of an evaluation. The first go around, Spags had his guys up front to make his system work. In today's NFL, if you're not getting pressure, you're toast. So Spags, in my opinion, would need another year or two to really get back to where he is able to run his defense the way he's capable.

At the end of the day though, being realistic, if the HC goes, both OC and DC generally go as well unless you promote one of them. I don't see either of our current coordinators as HC material in 2016. Further, I don't think you let the talent of your coordinators force you into keeping a HC you no longer want. So the decision gets muddied pretty quick. Do you fire Coughlin and lose the coordinators? Do you fire Coughlin and promote a coordinator that doesn't seem ready for the promotion? Do you fire everyone?

As for Reese, I have a hard time with this one. I like the Giants for numerous reasons, but one of which is their continuity and loyalty to their players/staff. Sure, it comes across as a fault at times, but I don't want them to be a quick twitch, high turnover team. I'd be more concerned with the scouting of prospects than the GM. I'd take a long, hard look at scouting, reviewing, etc. and attempt to raise the quality of prospect evaluation before I remove the GM. That said, THIS coming offseason will be the crux for Reese. The problem though, is that you need a year or two to evaluate a draft. So I think you give Reese this offseason and next. That will allow you two seasons to evaluate the players drafted this offseason. If subpar at that point, then it's time to make that change.

His drafting record and overpaying of average free agents is horrible. He's made a great coach look bad. If TC goes, Reese has to go. He's a fucking terrible GM.

I've been saying since the 49ers game last year... we need to blow the whole thing up.

We could get rid of Reese, but Jerry Palmieri's 1957 conditioning program will only ruin the careers of whoever the new GM drafts.

I think they let Reese stay and pick his own coach and give him time with that. Some draft picks seemed different than Coughlin type guys " athletic freaks" with low football IQ. Guys that you have to be patient with and develop. Coughlin likes the "lunch pail" types that come ready to play. Maybe the players were just bad picks, but benching a guy for making a mistake isn't teaching him anything. Free agents been bad, other then DRC and Ayers just a select few. Specifically on the Oline they've been a disaster Baas, Walton and Schwartz. I haven't been a big fan of Harris I know he was forced into the slot and they didn't have that role envisioned for him, but he's not good at returning either. I have why he field that punt Sunday that took him back into the endzone. For some reason Reese has completely ignored positions like TE(except ARob) we are stuck with guys like Donnell and Hill. He also let guys like Joseph inexpicable walk. I think the Mara's will give Reese another draft or two and different coach though before he's gone

Why would anyone fire Mac or Spags? They're far better than anyone we've had dating back to John Fox's days.. and... umm... Can't think of a really good OC the Giants have had.