SportsWrath

Giants Last place in the Division

Lughead

I like Flowers as the first pick given Scherff was gone. I think that the Rams were sitting in a pretty good spot behind us. I think they would've been happy to have Flowers. Flowers was widely regarded a top 15 pick, but Scherff wasn't necessarily deemed a top 5. So when Scherff went earlier, you could argue (1) that the Redskins reached there at 5 overall and (2) that the because the Redskins reached, the Giants pick was less of a reach because the Redskins pick shifted all the OTs up the draft board.

Overall, I like the first 3 picks. I have some digging to do on the later round picks.

Only other thing I'll add is that I don't know that trading up in the 2nd round was really worth it. Nobody thought Collins would be there, so I get it, but I just think the Giants got a little too excited right there given some of the other prospects that were still on the board. But I'm not going to be all pissed off because they jumped on a guy that should not have been there at that point.

I think it was a brilliant move... one that wasn't too costly and one that landed us what seems to be a stud safety...

I think it was a brilliant move... one that wasn't too costly and one that landed us what seems to be a stud safety...

"worth it" was a poor word choice. I don't know that trading up was necessary given some of the other safeties that were available. But again, feel free to read the last sentence of my post.

"worth it" was a poor word choice. I don't know that trading up was necessary given some of the other safeties that were available. But again, feel free to read the last sentence of my post.

Understandable... I just think it was a great move... Collins seems NFL ready... and given the price we paid, I think it was a great move.

Understandable... I just think it was a great move... Collins seems NFL ready... and given the price we paid, I think it was a great move.

Don't care about the 7th rounder. Would've liked to keep the 4th rounder though. Had we lost out on Collins and picked up the next best safety, I'd have been happy with that. Or, had we given up our 5th this year and 5th next year, I'd have been happier than giving our 4th this year. Again, the move wasn't the worst, just think it was a little rash once they saw Collins still on the board.

Of course, my view of the trade up is skewed by the lackluster selections in rounds 5-7. Had we not gone for Undrafted Free Agents in the 5th, 6th, and 7th - perhaps I'd feel a little more confident having given up our 4th.

Outside of a 1st to 3rd round pick he wasnt going to sign with anyone.

No team is going to waste a pick on a guy who is just going to refuse every contract you throw at him because he's a bitch who only cares about his paycheck.

Fuck him, hope he sits out the next few years waiting for his "money".

I really don't get your anger at the guy. He's a consensous mid-first round pick who's stock fell for something he "likely" had nothing to do with at all.

Yeah he could sign with a team for the league min and prove himself and get a mega contract in 3 years, but he could also be a few concussions or torn acl away from being out of the league by then.

The guy went from being a sure fire multi millionaire to making the minimum or around there thanks to something he "likely" had nothing to do with, you'd be just as pissed as he is and I think it stinks for him.

If you come away from the draft with 2 starters, you've had a great draft. A third round pick should be a player who has a good chance of becoming a starter and has the skills, but needs some fine-tuning for the NFL. Start out as a rotational player and move into a starting role.

Draft picks after that are a complete crap shoot. Sometimes you roll "7's", sometimes "snake eyes". Player ratings after the first 50 or so are pretty much meaningless. And as fans, we tend to rely entirely on websites that put up meaningless ratings.

I believe the Giants made the right move to trade away some crap shoot picks to guarantee they'd get Landry Collins. He's a surefire starter at a position of need, even though he's not a free safety. He's a high character guy, team captain, clean as a whistle, who confesses to patterning his game after Sean Taylor, who he has studied endlessly and has pictures of him all over the walls of his bedroom at home and at college.

I hope the other guy Mykkele (sp?) can play free safety (which is supposed to be his position) well enough to get some touches this year and develop into a solid player.

It took awhile, but I'm warming up to the last 2 picks. Geremy Davis and Bobby Hart. From everything I've been able to find on Davis, is that he was the one and only shining bright spot on a very, very bad team. Very strong hands and not afraid to go over the middle. Never dropped a single pass even though the QB throwing the ball was terrible. He's a fighter and will pound the opponent trying to take him down. He's not a finesse player at all and is all brawn. Also, he is apparently a monster in special teams.

Bobby Hart played right tackle at FSU protecting Jameis Winston against top flight competition and succeeded. He is a massive mauler with a nasty disposition who will be transitioned to guard for the Giants. He is big with legs like Andrus Peat and is exceptionally strong and can push the line making our running game better. Also, he's only 20 years old so he's just scratching the surface of what he will become in the NFL.

Rankings after the draft are worthless. We got 2 starters and potentially a couple more starters of the future. That's a win all the way around whether some strawberry-mango caffè latte sipping wimp on TV in a white shirt and tie gives the Giants an "A+" or an "F" grade.

I really don't get your anger at the guy. He's a consensous mid-first round pick who's stock fell for something he "likely" had nothing to do with at all.

Yeah he could sign with a team for the league min and prove himself and get a mega contract in 3 years, but he could also be a few concussions or torn acl away from being out of the league by then.

The guy went from being a sure fire multi millionaire to making the minimum or around there thanks to something he "likely" had nothing to do with, you'd be just as pissed as he is and I think it stinks for him.

He's a grown man who's going to be getting paid to play a child's game.

Everyone with the chance to play in the NFL should be humbled by the experience let alone the opportunity.

Yet this guy is going to sit out because of a little detour in his life, perhaps a big one if he's charged with anything.

He could sign with a team for a minimum contract and still get to have one of the best jobs 75% of the North American population would probably kill for. He could PROVE that he deserves millions (which quite frankly all rookies should have to do) before he actually get's it. So he plays a couple years not making a million plus every year, I'm sure jersey sales, autograph signings, etc are going to make up for it.

However to him, he's "worth more" than the game.

Fuck him.

Wanna know how valuable it is to have someone like Kiper, or Shay, or Mayock determine how good you did in a draft? Consider this:

Mel Kiper on San Diego after they drafted Drew Brees in the 2nd round of the 2001 NFL draft: "Big mistake for San Diego. They don't need him. They've got Ryan Leaf who is more mature than Drew Bledsoe with more upside"

Mel Kiper during the 2007 draft fawning over Oakland's pick said, "JaMarcus Russell's gonna immediately energize that Raider Nation, that fan base, that football team - on the practice field, in that locker room - three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. You're talking once he's under center. Look out, because skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like"

Mel Kiper gave the Seahawks an overall grade of C-minus for their 2012 draft, and a D-minus for player value attained, worst in the league. He saw Bruce Irvin as a late-second-round value at best, upon whom the Hawks expended the 15th overall pick. Second-rounder Bobby Wagner met a need but could have been obtained a round later, Kiper felt, and scratched his head over drafting quarterback Russell Wilson and could only say, "this will be a great test case for shorter QBs, but did they need him in the third round after grabbing Matt Flynn to come in and likely start?"

Todd McShay said in his televised analysis that "Blaine Gabbert is better than Cam Newton"

Mike Mayock rated Mark Sanchez ahead of Matthew Stafford

Mel Kiper stated flat out that Ricky Stanzi will have the best career among the quarterbacks in the 2011 class

Mel Kiper said on national TV that Wes Welker isn't worth a second-round pick. He couldn't believe the pick

---------------------

In short, whether the Giants are ranked as best or worst in this draft, it means absolutely nothing.

I also thought the trade up was eye-raising because of the talent that was left on the board. The Giants talk often about taking BPA, not drafting for need. But here is an example where they made a move to ensure they would address the safety position. Had they stood pat, there is no guarantee that Collins goes in the next 7 picks. But even if he does, you stand to get a very good player. Eddie Goldman and Preston Smith were gone by #40, so the likelihood is that neither would've been there for the Giants, who likely would've had both pretty high on their board. Jalen Collins, Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman, Maxx Williams, Ronald Darby, Jaelen Strong... all good players that were available. However, I'm not upset the Giants traded up, because the cost wasn't overly prohibitive, and the Giants did get a player that should help the defense immediately in a significant way, and addresses the safety position definitively, which was sorely needed.

I'm excited to see what Landon and Odi are going to bring to the offense, and even more excited to see how Flowers is going to help the run game. Would be nice to see a Giant RB average 5 yards per carry again.

Is it just me, or has Mel Kiper really toned it down since the '90s? Seems to me he's far more positive now than he used to be.

I noticed the same thing. I imagine he's either been told to tone it down by ESPN executives who know they've lost viewership to NFL Network....or perhaps he realizes how wrong he has been so many times that he doesn't puff up a player or downplay a player like he used to.

Calling JaMarcus Russell the next John Elway....and giving the Seahawks a "D" grade, based on drafting Russell Wilson in the 3rd round and having traded up for Bruce Irvin.

Those kind of predictions will come back to haunt you.

I also thought the trade up was eye-raising because of the talent that was left on the board. The Giants talk often about taking BPA, not drafting for need. But here is an example where they made a move to ensure they would address the safety position. Had they stood pat, there is no guarantee that Collins goes in the next 7 picks. But even if he does, you stand to get a very good player. Eddie Goldman and Preston Smith were gone by #40, so the likelihood is that neither would've been there for the Giants, who likely would've had both pretty high on their board. Jalen Collins, Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman, Maxx Williams, Ronald Darby, Jaelen Strong... all good players that were available. However, I'm not upset the Giants traded up, because the cost wasn't overly prohibitive, and the Giants did get a player that should help the defense immediately in a significant way, and addresses the safety position definitively, which was sorely needed.

I'm excited to see what Landon and Odi are going to bring to the offense, and even more excited to see how Flowers is going to help the run game. Would be nice to see a Giant RB average 5 yards per carry again.

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed, Jim :P

Outside of our top three picks, I don't see much to get excited about. Giants were smart about moving up to get Landon Collins because once again it was a weak class and there were only two names mentioned and Collins was the first one. I understand he is not considered a ball hawking free safety, team still needed the hard hitting box safety and Collins is the best one. Odighizuwa is an interesting pick since very few think much of his pass rushing skills. There is hope those skills will be developed since he does have the physical tools to be a solid pass rusher.

From what I understand Collins and his agent are fucking furious.

He cant declare for either the 2016 draft or the supplemental draft.

The kid's shown the only thing he cares about is money frankly in my opinion. Instead of taking this challenge/situation head on he's a little bitch complaining about his contract money.

He honestly has a chance to CHOOSE what team he goes to out of the draft cause you know every single team in the NFL are going to be calling him..... if he's not related to anything that is.

You're crazy. Why would he NOT be furious? It's millions of dollars, dude.

Spot on, VG.

The Lebowski lost millions of dollars because someone else shot his ex-girlfriend. I'd be fucking hot as well.

And not only that, he has no recourse and really no way of recouping lost earnings. He couldn't get himself into the supplemental draft, can't reenter the draft in 2016, so sitting out isn't a viable option. He HAS to play at rookie udfa pay.

And not only that, he has no recourse and really no way of recouping lost earnings. He couldn't get himself into the supplemental draft, can't reenter the draft in 2016, so sitting out isn't a viable option. He HAS to play at rookie udfa pay.

I am the only one who doesnt see a problem with this?

The poor baby wont be making millions for a couple years.

My god whatever will he do with his life to move past this tragedy of playing a game for the rest of his life and earning money from external sources.

My god whatever will he do with his life to move past this tragedy of playing a game for the rest of his life and earning money from external sources.

Well you go to school to get good at something right? Imagine after all your hard work with a 4.0 gpa Microsoft calls and says we'd like you you to come be our lead programmer. Then your girlfriend dies while your not even home and Microsoft rescinds their offer and says we are hiring the slacker with a 2.0 gpa for your position. You'd be pretty pissed

Maybe you're the only one... you don't see how a dude slated to make millions go thru this bullshit and not feel for the guy? Who's to say he's not going to suffer some kind of a career ending injury?

I'm still scratching my had at how no team in the NFL was willing to throw a 7th round pick at the guy...

Yes, you are. You don't think it's hard work, years of sacrifice for these guys to get to the point where they can be drafted in the first round and realize his dream of playing in the NFL? When you are drafted early, you've made it. You are set for life if you are smart. You have guaranteed millions of dollars. As a UDFA, you are guaranteed almost nothing. If you continue to work hard, and don't suffer a debilitating injury, yes, he'll eventually get a big payday. However, he'll still have lost 3 years of income at a much higher level. It's not a big deal to you because it's not your money. But he now has to hope he stays healthy enough and can perform to get to the pay years later he would've had just mere days from now. This is catastrophic for him.

Well you go to school to get good at something right? Imagine after all your hard work with 4.0 gpa Microsoft calls and says we'd like you you to come be our lead programmer. Then your girlfriend dies while your not even home and Microsoft rescinds their offer and says we are hiring the slacker with a 2.0 gpa for your position. You'd be pretty pissed

It's no where near the same situation though, the NFL isnt banning him from playing the game.... HE IS.

Collins could easily be on a team once this is all resolved and the team could easily resign him to a contract the year after his rookie year. UDFA are only a year long guaranteed.

The way I look at it he could of handled it one of two ways; as a man or as a kid.

If he came out the day before the draft and said "I know this is a horrible situation for everyone involved and I respect the decision of NFL teams during the draft. I'm going to continue to work hard to achieve my dream and now I'll be rewarded when a team signs me"

Instead he bitched and moaned about losing money and is threatening to sit out for a year and he wont play for a team unless he gets first round money.

He if want's to piss away his opportunity to play in the NFL he can go for it, I wont feel bad for him at all.