SportsWrath

Official Draft Thread

Mr. P

Great draft, everything I read as I was rushing through my mock draft said he was going in the late first/early second. I actually thought he would be a guy we drafted in the 2nd.

So far our first two picks are first day starters and the third pick is a rotational guy this season?

I am concerned we missed out on the wr's, Cruz better be ready to go.

I never thought I'd be able to pronounce Umenyiora, but I managed. It'll take awhile, but I'll get this down. The announcers are going to have fun with it.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Oh-wa-mog'-bee Oh-diggy-zoo'-wah

Now that's a mouth full. His name means "Peace and Love" in some tribe in the jungle, but he's just mean and nasty on the field

What a great night. The Yankees win, the Yankees win....for you Mets fans, the Mets won, the Mets won. And A-Rod broke Mays HR record against the hated Sox at Fenway (in your face)

And we put together the best 3 picks of an NFL draft I can ever remember.

But I only got about 4 hours sleep last night and I am spent. So bedtime for this Bonzo.

What a great night. The Yankees win, the Yankees win....for you Mets fans, the Mets won, the Mets won. And A-Rod broke Mays HR record against the hated Sox at Fenway (in your face)

And we put together the best 3 picks of an NFL draft I can ever remember.

But I only got about 4 hours sleep last night and I am spent. So bedtime for this Bonzo.

Webster-Tuck-Jacobs was probably our best trio of picks in one draft. But these guys have more excitement around them.

just woke up to find that Owa fell to us in the 3rd..........wow ...that is incredible , how did he fall that far. What a great 3 rounds for the G men. ( it almost feels like we got 3 first round picks ! ) Go Giants in 2015

I checked, Miami was still steam rolled that game.

And guess what Gregory still had two sacks that game lol

Umm...not sure what you and Nas were watching, but this is Gregory getting owned by Flowers. Gregory got moved to the right side because Flowers was killing him. Miami wasn't steamrolled either they were driving to take the lead until Johnson fumbled. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ereck-flowers-vs-nebraska-2014/

Umm...not sure what you and Nas were watching, but this is Gregory getting owned by Flowers. Gregory got moved to the right side because Flowers was killing him. Miami wasn't steamrolled either they were driving to take the lead until Johnson fumbled. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ereck-flowers-vs-nebraska-2014/

No I think Flowers was great... I just pointed out the highlight they showed of Gregory was him winning a battle against Flowers...

It seems we're getting some high praise for a change from a lot of analysts. Words like, "Giants must want to get more physical", and "took players with high upside".

But there is another trend that mimics last year. 2 out 3 are team captains. Only Flowers is not, but he is being called a "high character guy you love to have in the locker room".

Three picks left. I have to think they are looking for LB, WR, TE, and maybe a RB.

From GiantsHQ:

These players fit the mold of players the Giants like

DT Grady Jarrett (Clemson)

This is the range where Jarrett is worth selecting. He's not especially pretty, but he's effective and could provide depth to the interior of the Giants defensive line.

DT Derrick Lott (Tennessee-Chattanooga)

Strong, talented run-stuffer. Would provide instant depth with the potential to develop into a future starter.

WR Justin Hardy (ECU)

Has perhaps the best hands in the draft and could be an excellent slot receiver. A team captain with strong dedication to the game, he fits the Giants mold.

TE Nick Boyle (Delaware)

A tight end who can block. Just how the Giants like 'em.

TE Jesse James (Penn State)

Huge target 6'7" who showed good athleticism at the combine. Still raw, but huge upside. Would create nightmare matchups.

RB Buck Allen (USC)

Underrated running back out of USC can do it all. He's well-rounded and could be a serious option if available in the fifth round.

RB Jeremy Langford (Michigan St.)

Another good back in a really deep running back draft. Langford would be excellent late-round value.

LB Ramik Wilson (Clemson)

Productive player projects as a weakside linebacker in the Giants 4-3 defense or a useful piece on special teams and in sub-packages. He could contribute immediately.

S Anthony Harris (Virginia)

The Giants may have already taken a safety but could still be well-served by acquiring a true free safety that could eventually start. Pop in the tape of a Virginia game and Harris is all over the field. He's a willing tackler and covers a lot of ground. He's also known as a hard worker and was a team captain.

CB/S Doran Grant (Ohio St.)

A strong, physical cornerback who may be viewed as a safety. The Giants brought him in for a pre-draft visit. Surprised he already lasted this long.

CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Oregon)

He would have been one of the draft's top corners if not for a knee injury. There are reasons to be concerned, but if he hangs around much longer, the Giants (in need of cornerback depth) could pounce. The payoff could be immense in the long term.

OL Jamil Douglas (Arizona St.)

Would be a solid mid-round pick who can immediately improve the offensive line depth on the roster.

OL T.J. Clemmings (Pittsburgh)

The Teaneck product was thought to possibly be a first-round pick. A fracture in his foot must be scaring teams off. He could be great value at this point, even if his medicals are scary.

Some good WRs still on the board. Rashad Greene?

Also DT Michael Bennett (Ohio St) and NT Grady Jarrett (Clemson) are still on the board for some reason. Projected 2nd rounders.

It's going to suck having to sit and wait through the 4th round before we get another pick...but well worth it since we got Collins. There should be 40 more guys taken off the board before Giants pick again today. We'll have to watch a lot of beef fall off the board.

I will have to study up on Rashad Greene because I haven't done my homework on the guy. I've been wanting Justin Hardy and I have never been much of a studier of WR's. I really want TE Jesse James and would be thrilled with RB/FB Zack Zenner. Also, I think DE Anthony Chickilo will be a steal for someone. Also, Shaquille Lewis, a FS out of small school Louisiana College (div II) 6'1", 200 would be a nice pickup as a true FS to go with Collins.

The two Syracuse boys are still on the board (S Durell Eskridge and Pugh's understudy OG/OT Sean Hickey) and the Giants like to take a player each year from S.U.

Then of course, who knows...maybe Reese and TC will pull a stunner and take La'el Collins or T.J. Clemmings

If we come away with a couple more players in day 3 that can be developed into starters, this will be the best draft ever.

he looked baked as hell

See, I thought he sounded humbled by the whole ordeal. I guess that's just me, though. Humility doesn't preclude one from future mistakes.

I gotta work today and then go to some philharmonic concert my fiancee got free tickets too.

I'll read up on the picks at some point.

Also threw a small bet on the Mara's horse for todays Derby. It's a longshot but I find it fun to find a longshot to bet on for the three big races every year. This year it's like rooting for the giants since it's the Mara horse.

La'el Collins isn't going to sign a contract if he is drafted after last night. I was surprised no one risked a supplementary 3rd on him, but maybe the details the teams have are a little more condemning than what we've seen so far.