SportsWrath

Giants winning out of a top 10 pick.

BlueInCanada

So I was looking at the top ten picks from the last five drafts, since typically after four years it's a boom or bust for a first round pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Texans Jadeveon Clowney DE 2 Rams Greg Robinson OT 3 Jaguars Blake Bortles QB 4 Bills Sammy Watkins WR 5 Raiders Khalil Mack OLB 6 Falcons Jake Matthews OT 7 Buccaneers Mike Evans WR 8 Browns Justin Gilbert CB 9 Vikings Anthony Barr OLB 10 Lions Eric Ebron TE

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Chiefs Eric Fisher OT 2 Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT 3 Dolphins Dion Jordan DE 4 Eagles Lane Johnson OT 5 Lions Ziggy Ansah DE 6 Browns Barkevious Mingo DE 7 Cardinals Jonathan Cooper OG 8 Rams Tavon Austin WR 9 Jets Dee Milliner CB 10 Titans Chance Warmack OG

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Colts Andrew Luck QB 2 Redskins Robert Griffin III QB 3 Browns Trent Richardson RB 4 Vikings Matt Kalil OT 5 Jaguars Justin Blackmon WR 6 Cowboys Morris Claiborne CB 7 Buccaneers Mark Barron SS 8 Dolphins Ryan Tannehill QB 9 Panthers Luke Kuechly ILB 10 Bills Stephon Gilmore CB

SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 Carolina Panthers Cam Newton QB Auburn 2 Denver Broncos Von Miller LB Texas A&M 3 Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus DT Alabama 4 Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green WR Georgia 5 Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson DB LSU 6 Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones WR Alabama 7 San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith LB Missouri 8 Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB Washington 9 Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith T USC 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

2010 - ROUND 1 SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma 2 Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska 3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma 4 Washington Redskins Trent Williams T Oklahoma 5 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Berry SS Tennessee 6 Seattle Seahawks Russell Okung T Oklahoma State 7 Cleveland Browns Joe Haden CB Florida 8 Oakland Raiders Rolando McClain MLB Alabama 9 Buffalo Bills C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Tyson Alualu DT California

I feel like, every year all these "must have, will be the next NFL great" lock picks inside the top ten, maybe two or three out of every draft actually lives up to the hype.

2010; Suh, Williams, Berry.

2011;Newton (somewhat), Green, Jones.

2012; Luck, Kalil has been meh outside of his rookie season, Kuechly.

2013; lol who?

2014;Bortles, Evans and Watkins are all helping their team as rookies.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like moving a few spots in the draft isn't going to hurt us as much as other people make it out to be.

I mean I think of where Odell was taken, arguably he can be the best WR taken out of the draft in the last five years, pick 12.

Not to nitpick, Blue, because I completely agree with you, but Stephon Gilmore does magical things for the Bills. Marcel Dareus is also a very good, 2 time Pro Bowler with 30 career sacks since 2011 as a defensive tackle for the Bills. Tyron Smith is a Pro Bowler. Ziggy Ansah is a solid starter. Tannehill quietly puts up solid numbers and will only get better as the Dolphins develop players around him. And you can't leave out guys like Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden, though I think both are slightly overrated. I think your chances of hitting on an impact player probably are greater inside the top 10...but it all depends on your scouting program's ability to analyze prospects and intangibles/unpredictables that determine how a player makes the transition to the NFL.

Within the first half of the first round, player's measurables and resumes are all pretty top notch.

Re-establishing a winning identity and continuing to get guys, especially rookies, playing time is way more important. Identifying, building up, and building around a solid core of players is also more important than one singular player you potentially could be selecting 5 spots before your current pick. Finding the right players by picking better and smarter trumps picking earlier, and the evidence is there. Look at the Browns for that evidence. Perennial top 15 picks and they are no closer to a playoff spot than they were when they took Joe Thomas, years ago. Hell, then look at the Bills and see that they are at least making SIGNIFICANT progress towards establishing a presence in a division dominated by a New England Patriots team that finds good players all throughout the draft. The Bills are a quarterback away from having a 10 win, playoff team. The Patriots are perennial Super Bowl contenders because of what they do in the draft with what they are given.

I think people forget that we essentially wasted 100 million dollars on free agents who really didn't even contribute to this season. Rodgers-Cromartie and a couple role players on the offensive line are really the only players from that spending spree that contributed in any meaningful way. Yes, that was mostly because of injury, but it's not an excuse. What Reese did last year is not a viable way to establish a winning football team, even if they were healthy. What he did in the draft with where he had to work at in the draft had far more impact on this team and who we are drafting is much more important than where we are drafting. That's where the focus needs to be.

So I was looking at the top ten picks from the last five drafts, since typically after four years it's a boom or bust for a first round pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Texans Jadeveon Clowney DE 2 Rams Greg Robinson OT 3 Jaguars Blake Bortles QB 4 Bills Sammy Watkins WR 5 Raiders Khalil Mack OLB 6 Falcons Jake Matthews OT 7 Buccaneers Mike Evans WR 8 Browns Justin Gilbert CB 9 Vikings Anthony Barr OLB 10 Lions Eric Ebron TE

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Chiefs Eric Fisher OT 2 Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT 3 Dolphins Dion Jordan DE 4 Eagles Lane Johnson OT 5 Lions Ziggy Ansah DE 6 Browns Barkevious Mingo DE 7 Cardinals Jonathan Cooper OG 8 Rams Tavon Austin WR 9 Jets Dee Milliner CB 10 Titans Chance Warmack OG

PICK TEAM PLAYER POS 1 Colts Andrew Luck QB 2 Redskins Robert Griffin III QB 3 Browns Trent Richardson RB 4 Vikings Matt Kalil OT 5 Jaguars Justin Blackmon WR 6 Cowboys Morris Claiborne CB 7 Buccaneers Mark Barron SS 8 Dolphins Ryan Tannehill QB 9 Panthers Luke Kuechly ILB 10 Bills Stephon Gilmore CB

SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 Carolina Panthers Cam Newton QB Auburn 2 Denver Broncos Von Miller LB Texas A&M 3 Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus DT Alabama 4 Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green WR Georgia 5 Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson DB LSU 6 Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones WR Alabama 7 San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith LB Missouri 8 Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB Washington 9 Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith T USC 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

2010 - ROUND 1 SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma 2 Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska 3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma 4 Washington Redskins Trent Williams T Oklahoma 5 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Berry SS Tennessee 6 Seattle Seahawks Russell Okung T Oklahoma State 7 Cleveland Browns Joe Haden CB Florida 8 Oakland Raiders Rolando McClain MLB Alabama 9 Buffalo Bills C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Tyson Alualu DT California

I feel like, every year all these "must have, will be the next NFL great" lock picks inside the top ten, maybe two or three out of every draft actually lives up to the hype.

2010; Suh, Williams, Berry.

2011;Newton (somewhat), Green, Jones.

2012; Luck, Kalil has been meh outside of his rookie season, Kuechly.

2013; lol who?

2014;Bortles, Evans and Watkins are all helping their team as rookies.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like moving a few spots in the draft isn't going to hurt us as much as other people make it out to be.

I mean I think of where Odell was taken, arguably he can be the best WR taken out of the draft in the last five years, pick 12.

I think it's premature and unfair to judge players, good or bad that are just now finishing their rookie seasons, and even the NFL sophomores. That said, you're ignoring the contributions of a lot of players.

2012 - Tannehill is giving hope to the Dolphins. He's not All Pro (yet), but it's just his third season and he's playing well enough to start on a lot of other teams, and he's trending upward. You also didn't mention Gilmore, who is playing very well and played shut-down corner quality against Aaron Rodgers and the Pack in their win a couple of weeks ago.

2011 - Marcel Dareus, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, and Tyron Smith, are all among the top players at their position in the NFL, but were excluded by you. When Aldon Smith has played, he's also been a pass rushing terror, but his off-field behavior severely downgrades him. Really, outside of the QB's, the 2011 top ten was loaded with talent.

2010 - Really? No respect for Joe Haden? One of the top CBs in the game. Same thing for Gerald McCoy, who is the BEST player on the Bucs, to include Mike Evans or Vincent Jackson. He's one of the top DT's in the game, maybe the best, just on a bad team. As for Okung, he might not be the top LT in the game, but there's a lot of worth in a guy who can lock down a position long term. Maybe the Seahawks didn't hit a homerun with Okung, but they didn't strike out, either... you can win with singles and doubles.

Agree

This team really needs a safety and another linebacker.

By my count, we really need two safeties, two LBs, two guys on the OL that can run block, a starting-caliber WR, and two starting TEs. A good argument could be made for needing a running back and D-lineman as well.

Other than that, we're fine.