SportsWrath

Looking ahead to next season...

Sephiroth

Well, I know I'm in the minority by thinking that we still should blow this team up, but I see why people have been lulled into thinking the Giants can be competitive next season. ODB looks awesome, there are 3 or so good young players on defense, and finally the line is playing half of a decent game (they still can't run block for shit though). I get that its tough to replace a two time Super Bowl winning coach and GM, but honestly, all they've done is prolong the inevitable... 9-7 doesn't take you to the playoffs in the new NFC East. I'm still sticking by "this era of Giants football is over," just not everyone has caught on to that yet.

As I see it, here's all we need to be successful while keeping TC and Reese:

1. Get rid of the Special Teams and Defensive coaches... so basically, overhaul your Offense, Defense, and Special Teams in a 12-month period. But keep the people in charge of hiring those guys... they know how to win.

2. Get a new strength and conditioning coach.

3. Acquire a starting RB, WR, TE, at least two OL positions, DE, two LBs, and two Safeties. To do that...

4. Have a draft like 2007.

5. Hope the rest of the NFC East starts to decline since the Cowboys and Eagles definitely appear to be ascending teams.

Aside from that, I think the team is awesome.

All that being said, what do you all think the Giants need to do to be competitive next year? Also, do you think its "playoffs or bust" for Coughlin and Reese next year, or does 9-7 get us another three years of middling play, hoping that other teams do worse and we sneak into the playoffs?

They put up over 120 yards on the ground against a solid, up and coming defense. I would say there is strong progress with that unit in run blocking, too.

Regarding the oline, I think John Jerry needs to be replaced, likely by a guy we already have on the roster, Geoff Schwartz. And you don't mess with anything else about that offensive line. You draft someone in rounds 2 or 3.

Who do you guys suggest they interview for the defensive coordinator position? And don't say Spagnuolo because that's a ridiculous idea and will never, ever happen. Spagnuolo isn't fit to coordinate the construction of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich let alone a defense with no real playmakers or identity.

My thoughts are that any decent defensive coordinator isn't looking to move laterally to the Giants...they are looking for HC positions. So with that in mind, you're looking at position coaches with minimal experience running a defense, head coaches that might be fired after the conclusion of the season, or defensive coordinators that might be fired at the end of the season. Or possibly an up and coming college coach, which is farfetched. So who is the better option than Perry Fewell?

We ARE in the middle of blowing things up--look at the 2011-2012 roster, and count the missing bodies. Both lines are being reworked, we actually have NFL competent starters at LB (if Beason gets and stays healthy--and we don't have any quality in backups, but we're better off than we have been), and a lot of big contracts were dumped last year, with more to come this year. We still have a way to go, but we're getting there. Jennings is a plus if he can stay on the field, Williams is ok, and Darkwa looked like he had potential.

So I'm not sure what your definition of blowing up a team actually is.

Who do you guys suggest they interview for the defensive coordinator position? And don't say Spagnuolo because that's a ridiculous idea and will never, ever happen. Spagnuolo isn't fit to coordinate the construction of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich let alone a defense with no real playmakers or identity.

My thoughts are that any decent defensive coordinator isn't looking to move laterally to the Giants...they are looking for HC positions. So with that in mind, you're looking at position coaches with minimal experience running a defense, head coaches that might be fired after the conclusion of the season, or defensive coordinators that might be fired at the end of the season. Or possibly an up and coming college coach, which is farfetched. So who is the better option than Perry Fewell?

Dan Quinn, Seahawks defensive coordinator contract is up.

Promise him the world and the HC job when Coughlin is "retires" in couple seasons.

Todd Bowels, Arizona defensive coodinator.

Supposedly Mara has said he liked the guy and he's a New Jersey native, also is a prime candidate for a HC job in the next couple of seasons.

Promise him the world and the HC job when Coughlin is "retires" in couple seasons.

Supposedly Mara has said he liked the guy and he's a New Jersey native, also is a prime candidate for a HC job in the next couple of seasons.

I forgot about DCs who's contracts are up, crap!

Dennis Allen. Was Raiders HC and fired earlier in the year, before that Broncos DC for only one year and they were 5th in the NFL in sacks that year and Von Miller won DROY, before Denver he was Saints secondary coach the year they won the super bowl and they ranked 3rd in interceptions. He's still young at 42 with decent experience. I would look at Pepper Johnson also, Mike Caldwell is the Cardinals LB coach he would be a good option

Bowles signed an extension. Quinn will be looking for a HC job and not one where he has to wait and he signed a three year extension last year. They could look at Ken Norton Jr, who will probably be promoted to Seattle's DC if Quinn gets a HC job

Sexy Rexy.

Honestly it's a pipe dream but the guy knows how to coach a defense.

He'll end up going to HC the 49ers though.

Speaking of 49ers unless Vic Fangio follows or replaces Harbaugh he could be a really good available candidate. I've heard the 49ers stuff for Rex too or Raiders. Fangio may just stay on has DC in San Fran if Rex is hired(Worked together in Baltimore)

Speaking of 49ers unless Vic Fangio follows or replaces Harbaugh he could be a really good available candidate. I've heard the 49ers stuff for Rex too or Raiders. Fangio may just stay on has DC in San Fran if Rex is hired(Worked together in Baltimore)

well fangio is still under contract. but seriously, i've not heard anyone in SF mention Rex. The talk lately has centered around Shanahan or Fangio but I think they want someone more Offense focused

well fangio is still under contract. but seriously, i've not heard anyone in SF mention Rex. The talk lately has centered around Shanahan or Fangio but I think they want someone more Offense focused

That's what I think too. I think they will look at Gase from Denver who was an offensive assistant there. They may look at Pep Hamilton, was an QB coach there and ironically Harbaugh's Qb coach(then promoted to OC) at Stanford. McAdoo was an assistant in San Fran too and they may look at him. If Harbaugh goes I assume his staff goes too...so Fangio could be available. Tomsula is another hot name from San Fran that would be a good choice

I'd love it if management stepped in and told Coughlin to hire outside his circle of coaches for DC. I think the McAdoo signing is going to prove to be a pretty decent one, but everyone knows Tom wanted Sullivan. We'd have had literally the exact same offense if Coughlin got his way.

With that being said, we'll probably end up with Dick Jauron or Romeo Crennel. We could do much worse, but I'd think signing a younger DC with head coach prospects would be a better move; let him and McAdoo compete to see who takes over after Coughlin retires.

I'd love it if management stepped in and told Coughlin to hire outside his circle of coaches for DC. I think the McAdoo signing is going to prove to be a pretty decent one, but everyone knows Tom wanted Sullivan. We'd have had literally the exact same offense if Coughlin got his way.

With that being said, we'll probably end up with Dick Jauron or Romeo Crennel. We could do much worse, but I'd think signing a younger DC with head coach prospects would be a better move; let him and McAdoo compete to see who takes over after Coughlin retires.

I have no idea where anyone gets any of this information.

Other than it being made up.

I'd love to see the article/interview with anyone saying any of this outside of message board "information".

I have no idea where anyone gets any of this information.

Other than it being made up.

I'd love to see the article/interview with anyone saying any of this outside of message board "information".

Actually you're right, it was Cruz who went on the record saying that.