SportsWrath

David Wilson not yet cleared for contact

Mr. P

David Wilson says he feels great and is ready to take his first hit since last October. But once again the doctors have told him he has to wait.

The Giants’ running back had yet another MRI on injured neck on Wednesday morning and once again the doctors would not clear him to resume contact, according to a team source. He can continue to practice with his team, as he has been doing throughout the spring, but that first hit will have to wait until at least the start of training camp in late July.

Wilson is scheduled to have another examination next month, the source said, and remains hopeful that he’ll be cleared for contact then. If not, he will almost certainly begin camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.

The 22-year-old Wilson, the Giants’ first-round draft pick in 2012, has been out since Oct. 6 when he first injured his neck in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. A few days later he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis – a narrowing of the spine, which can potentially be a career-threatening condition. He had hoped rest and treatment would help, but he ended up needing spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 16.

Despite all that, Wilson has been adamant all along that he planned to resume his career. The Giants, meanwhile, have been cautiously optimistic publicly, but team sources have conceded privately that they are unsure when or if Wilson will again be able to play.

“I have no pain and there’s nothing I can do to make it better,” Wilson said last week. “But I want to express that I’ve never had any pain. I went home to my family (on Memorial Day weekend) and they were shocked to see me … like, ‘Oh my God, how is your neck?’

“I never had any pain. I’ve been walking on my own, talking on my own, doing everything normal, running, exercising like regular. I want to express to everybody that I have never had any pain at all -- zero percent. I’ve been healthy and doing well.”

Still, his participation in OTAs (organized team activities) this spring has been limited. During one session open to the media last week he did some work on special teams, but didn’t appear to participate in offensive drills at all. The little he was able to do, though, seemed to leave the Giants encouraged.

“He’s out there running and feels good,” Coughlin said. “You’d never know that he’s having issues.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/david-wilson-cleared-contact-blog-entry-1.1816562

“There has been significant progress and healing since David had the fusion,” said Dr. Russell Warren, the Giants’ team physician in a written statement. “But the reality is it has only been four and one-half months since the surgery. We anticipate that when David is re-evaluated at the start of training camp he will be cleared at that point.”

“I sat down today and Dr. (Frank) Cammisa showed me the X-rays and the CAT scan and my surgery has been successful,” Wilson said. “We’re just waiting for the bone to heal strong enough for contact. The doctors will know when that point is. I feel perfectly fine.

“Everything I got this morning was good news – there was nothing bad or negative,” he added. “I’m very pleased and very blessed for my healing process to continue.”

that sounds like really encouraging news. there's always still risk if you've have a fusion but hopefully the fact that he's a running back and won't play as long will keep him from avoiding further injury

Why? He's hit home runs when he got on the field ... It's TC who needs to play his stars

Just from being a fan all these years, he just has that bust feeling to me. Believe me, I want him to be a top pick producer, but it's always something so far. this team without a good RB isn't right to me.