SportsWrath

Why I like the Giants draft.

Sephiroth

So let me start with this disclaimer: we're still screwed on the O-line. Snee, Walton, and Beatty are all question marks, and we drafted ONE guy that can provide immediate help.

However, I'm pleased with the shift in overall draft philosophy this time around. Instead of drafting "supremely athletic X who hasn't put it all together yet" we got actual football players who were PRODUCTIVE in college. Nat Behre is a perfect example... he may have had shitty combine numbers, but throw the game tape on of that kid... dude is a baller. Additionally, most of these guys were captains and have high football IQs, so you'd hope 2-3 of them could come in and start right away.

I'll take the Chad Bratzkes of the world over the Marvin Fucking Austins any day.

So let me start with this disclaimer: we're still screwed on the O-line. Snee, Walton, and Beatty are all question marks, and we drafted ONE guy that can provide immediate help.

However, I'm pleased with the shift in overall draft philosophy this time around. Instead of drafting "supremely athletic X who hasn't put it all together yet" we got actual football players who were PRODUCTIVE in college. Nat Behre is a perfect example... he may have had shitty combine numbers, but throw the game tape on of that kid... dude is a baller. Additionally, most of these guys were captains and have high football IQs, so you'd hope 2-3 of them could come in and start right away.

I'll take the Chad Bratzkes of the world over the Marvin Fucking Austins any day.

Not sure that we are screwed on our o-line....although, it might turn out you're right. Snee is supposed to be back to health, and so is (knock on wood) Beatty. Plus we got a huge lineman in Jerry and Walton is nothing like Richburg, but is supposedly a freakin cement wall.

I would love to have come away with a proven LT, but even if we did....it's doubtful he'd be ready to start this year. Martin would have been the exception and that's what I was hoping for. But I also understand the need for a legit receiving threat to free up Cruz (and hopefully Randle) and also open up the running game. I believe teams learned to attack our front line relentlessly once they realized Nicks was no longer a real threat and Eli sucked when he didn't have time to think before throwing. We were bull-rushed last year the way we bull-rushed other teams back in 2007. Nothing stops a bull rush like throwing over the linebackers who are rushing the QB.

I think the OL has been taken care off... I'm still having my morning coffee but didn't we bring in 3 FAs? And I trust Snee is healthy again... and we added Richburg to boot... Sure most of us wanted to draft Martin but truth be told I've never seen a WR with so much body control like this Rook we just landed... I love the kid and can't wait to see him play.

I think the OL has been taken care off... I'm still having my morning coffee but didn't we bring in 3 FAs? And I trust Snee is healthy again... and we added Richburg to boot... Sure most of us wanted to draft Martin but truth be told I've never seen a WR with so much body control like this Rook we just landed... I love the kid and can't wait to see him play.

I think the o-line will have a lot to do with McAdoo's new system. Gilly didn't change his strategy for years and it was only a matter of time before other teams had him figured out. And the secret was to bull rush every play and keep Eli on his heels. The change to McAdoo will change everything about the offense. I'm hoping Beatty is the guy we thought he was going to be (based on his payday) and that under McAdoo, he'll be a fine LT. The best LT in the country can't stop 3 guys at once as they bull rush around him.

I'm not going to make excuses for the offensive line play last year. Nor am I going to write in McAdoo as the savior of all our offensive line struggles. Nor am I going to pin it all on Gilbride.

Fact is, our offensive line was porous to say the least last season. Further, Gilbride's offense required time for plays to develop in the passing game. Further, there was no run game to depend upon. The offense issues snowballed and compounded upon one another and Gilbride was fired because of it (no, he did not retire in anything other than the technical sense).

It APPEARS as if the ball will be getting out quicker under McAdoo. That will help the offensive line. There really is no debate to that, again, if the ball gets out quicker. Though not a certainty, I think it's safe to assume that even with a little success passing, it'll open up the running lanes a little bit more.

Now, I don't think we'll be leading the league in offense, but the impression I get is that we'll be vastly improved. We've gotten younger, on average, across the offensive line. Schwartz, Walton, Jerry, Richburg being new guys competing for spots alongside Beatty, Snee, and Pugh. I would expect Snee to retire after the season, leaving a hole to fill next offseason...but regarding this season, the front office has clearly made the line a priority. It would've been nice to grab one of the FA centers, but all in all, they did a good job getting guys in the fold, which should provide some level of confidence for the fans that improvement can be expected.

I'm not going to make excuses for the offensive line play last year. Nor am I going to write in McAdoo as the savior of all our offensive line struggles. Nor am I going to pin it all on Gilbride.

Fact is, our offensive line was porous to say the least last season. Further, Gilbride's offense required time for plays to develop in the passing game. Further, there was no run game to depend upon. The offense issues snowballed and compounded upon one another and Gilbride was fired because of it (no, he did not retire in anything other than the technical sense).

It APPEARS as if the ball will be getting out quicker under McAdoo. That will help the offensive line. There really is no debate to that, again, if the ball gets out quicker. Though not a certainty, I think it's safe to assume that even with a little success passing, it'll open up the running lanes a little bit more.

Now, I don't think we'll be leading the league in offense, but the impression I get is that we'll be vastly improved. We've gotten younger, on average, across the offensive line. Schwartz, Walton, Jerry, Richburg being new guys competing for spots alongside Beatty, Snee, and Pugh. I would expect Snee to retire after the season, leaving a hole to fill next offseason...but regarding this season, the front office has clearly made the line a priority. It would've been nice to grab one of the FA centers, but all in all, they did a good job getting guys in the fold, which should provide some level of confidence for the fans that improvement can be expected.

Good points. In order to have a good offense, all areas of offense need to click. When we don't have a steady run game and the passing game is suspect, no line in the world is going to fix it all. The run game opens the air game and vice versa. When neither are good, defenses are going to feast on the QB. It is all inter-related and you have to have more than one or two weapons to keep defenses honest.

One thing we always have that sucks is our Special Teams. We keep giving up too many yards in this area. Like the Denver game, Peyton had short fields to work with on too may drives. Plus, we start in the hole too many times. I hope we get better in this area.

One thing we always have that sucks is our Special Teams. We keep giving up too many yards in this area. Like the Denver game, Peyton had short fields to work with on too may drives. Plus, we start in the hole too many times. I hope we get better in this area.

Could be the reason we signed Denver's kick returner as a free agent.

I think we've made some headway here. Bennett Jackson is a true gunner, something we haven't had since Tyree left. I was listening to NFL Network talking heads the other day and they were discussing who was the best return guy in the NFL and the name Trindon Holliday as second to none (however, not sure he can make the team), and Quentin Demps is a dangerous return man. Supposedly, Odell Beckham is also a very good returner, although I'm not sure they want to put him in that position...especially if they can use Demps or Holliday in his stead.

If we can start each series a few yards further up field, and keep the other team a few yards further back...it will go a long way towards keeping better field position for the Giants.

I feel good about what we've done to address the special teams.

I think we've made some headway here. Bennett Jackson is a true gunner, something we haven't had since Tyree left. I was listening to NFL Network talking heads the other day and they were discussing who was the best return guy in the NFL and the name Trindon Holliday as second to none (however, not sure he can make the team), and Quentin Demps is a dangerous return man. Supposedly, Odell Beckham is also a very good returner, although I'm not sure they want to put him in that position...especially if they can use Demps or Holliday in his stead.

If we can start each series a few yards further up field, and keep the other team a few yards further back...it will go a long way towards keeping better field position for the Giants.

I feel good about what we've done to address the special teams.

No doubt, how many times did we start out at the 20 or less? Hell, I was happy to see it kicked past the endzone just to get it on the 20. our Special always makes me gripe :laugh: