SportsWrath

Weston Riceburg

BlueInCanada

OVERVIEW

Also played basketball and threw the discus as a Texas prep. Tore his right ACL in high school and did not play his sophomore and junior seasons. Redshirted in 2009. Started all 12 games in 2010 (first three at strongside guard, final nine at center). Started all 12 games at 2011, including the first nine at center, before breaking a bone in his right (snapping) hand against San Diego State; stayed in the lineup by playing left tackle the next two games and right guard in the final game. Started all 26 games at center 2012-13. Established a school record with 50 career starts. Team captain.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Good snap-and-step quickness. Maneuvers to gain positioning. Good mobility -- gets out of the chute quickly as a puller and demonstrates nice body control. Good awareness. Energetic and aggressive temperament. Durable, 49-game starter. Vocal team leader with outstanding intangibles. WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal girth and could be stressed by widebody nose tackles. Average hip snap -- lacks body power to blow defensive tackles off the ball. Lacks elite athleticism to execute reach blocks. Can improve grip strength to better control defenders (average sustain) -- slides off some blocks. Inconsistent contact balance, especially at the second level where he can be more efficient connecting and fitting. DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4 BOTTOM LINE Adequate-sized, smart, experienced, competitive center who commanded the offensive line, made all the calls and was a team leader for the Rams. At worst, should stick as a backup, but has developmental value and starter potential in a zone scheme. Could help himself by proving versatile enough to back up at guard. -Nolan Nawrocki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhyKD24xqv8

please don't get me started on that 2.5 mil guaranteed. looks even worse now that he's a backup

Walton might be kicked over to a backup guard/center role.

With Snee and Deihl both looking like they wont finish a full season we need a swing man.

As it looks were going to have Pugh/Snee/Richburg/Jerry/Beatty as the starters.

With Schwarts(sp), Walton and Deihl as swing players and whoever else we draft or bring in.

With Snee and Deihl both looking like they wont finish a full season we need a swing man.

With Schwarts(sp), Walton and Deihl as swing players and whoever else we draft or bring in.

Diehl retired so you're definitely 1 for 2 so far, :)

Diehl retired so you're definitely 1 for 2 so far, :)

Whoops lol for some reason I keep thinking he's coming back.

Maybe it's because I think Snee should retire but he's trying to catch lightning in a bottle and return to form, who knows maybe he will.

Jerry is not starting over a Schwartz.

What does the drafting of C Weston Richburg mean for C J.D. Walton? Says GM Jerry Reese: "We expect him to be ...

... the guy who Richburg is going to battle for that center position," Reese said. "Obviously you need depth at every position and that’s the position that we think Richburg will provide for us, some depth at center which is his natural position. But we think he could play guard as well. Again, last year we had a couple injuries early on the offensive line and it was pretty devastating. We had to bring some guys in that struggled some at those positions so we’re trying to make sure we have enough depth at every position. This guy will help provide that for us."

i just don't think any other team was going to give him guaranteed money

A second round depth and developmental project. Weren't we going for less risk with our draft picks this year?

I wouldn't call it a development project he is either going to beat out the free agent we signed at C or backup at guard this year unless he beats one of those FA G we signed.

I wouldn't call it a development project he is either going to beat out the free agent we signed at C or backup at guard this year unless he beats one of those FA G we signed.

Yeah I imagine he will be starting come seasons end or next season when he has a year of the system under his belt.

Nice job getting the name right Canuck

It was the pick I was expecting. As far as who starts at center, remains to be seen since being drafted does not guarantee you as a starter. I can see Walton starting this year and Richburg the next. If Walton doesn't hold up, we still have Richburg.