SportsWrath

Giants thinking of Martin.

GA4M

It's all over the place. No team states it publicly.

Absolutely - everything is a smoke screen. The only time it isn't a surprise is when the team with the first pick overall has already worked out the financials with a player. When that happens, it really pisses me off that they use the entire 15 minutes before announcing it.

Right now, every team that has let anything out of the bag is more than likely a ruse to try and get another team to go a certain way.

Absolutely - everything is a smoke screen. The only time it isn't a surprise is when the team with the first pick overall has already worked out the financials with a player. When that happens, it really pisses me off that they use the entire 15 minutes before announcing it.

Right now, every team that has let anything out of the bag is more than likely a ruse to try and get another team to go a certain way.

Fortunately, the NFL dropped the 1st round time to 10 minutes, 2nd round to 7 minutes, and subsequent rounds to 5 minutes. Goodell also advised teams to hurry their asses up and make the pick when they know it... at least, in so many words. He knows viewers attention and ratings wane as these teams hesitate. If there's anything Goodell knows, it's TV ratings, haha.

Rumors and draft predictions by the media are all over the place. This is nothing out of the ordinary. How exactly are the giants being more transparent?

In prior drafts you never heard anything on the Giants interest's. The article was written by a beat writer who has a ear to the FO.

Fortunately, the NFL dropped the 1st round time to 10 minutes, 2nd round to 7 minutes, and subsequent rounds to 5 minutes. Goodell also advised teams to hurry their asses up and make the pick when they know it... at least, in so many words. He knows viewers attention and ratings wane as these teams hesitate. If there's anything Goodell knows, it's TV ratings, haha.

This pushing back the draft sucks for anticipation, but it's working for the NFL sake.

Yeah, the beat writer got something slipped to him that they wanted to get out. If the Giants are trying to pump up Martin over Lewan, it's probably because they want Lewan. And for the record, Martin is ONLY a better "prospect" at Guard than Lewan. If you are trying to find your LT of the future, you pick Lewan over Martin 10 times out of 10. If you want a guy who can POTENTIALLY, down the line, play one of the tackle spots, but can be a very good guard probably right away, then your pick is Martin. Personally, at 12, picking an inside offensive lineman is too early. To me, it's going to be Donald, Lewan, or Evans at 12, and if all of those players are gone, Ha Ha, or even a surprise pick like Borland (who I think will be taken much higher than his projection, but not at all what the Giants typically do).

Martin is a guy you trade down for.

Yeah, the beat writer got something slipped to him that they wanted to get out. If the Giants are trying to pump up Martin over Lewan, it's probably because they want Lewan. And for the record, Martin is ONLY a better "prospect" at Guard than Lewan. If you are trying to find your LT of the future, you pick Lewan over Martin 10 times out of 10. If you want a guy who can POTENTIALLY, down the line, play one of the tackle spots, but can be a very good guard probably right away, then your pick is Martin. Personally, at 12, picking an inside offensive lineman is too early. To me, it's going to be Donald, Lewan, or Evans at 12, and if all of those players are gone, Ha Ha, or even a surprise pick like Borland (who I think will be taken much higher than his projection, but not at all what the Giants typically do).

Martin is a guy you trade down for.

Really, to me Martin is a better LT prospect then Lewan, the added bonus is he can slip inside if need be.

Mayock did his final mock and has the giants taking ebron. Would be an awesome pick up and would piss off lots of people here.

According to all I've read, Ebron is the best of this year's crop but not in the same class as the Bengals Tyler Eifert, who was picked 21st last year. I'd much rather get an OL, preferably Lewan.

I'd be one of the people really pissed off at Ebron... Mayock was really on point last year with his picks. So he seems like a guy with his finger on the pulse of a lot of teams. I really do believe that Ebron is not even the best TE in this group, and represents no value at 12. The best TE in this class is probably Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (or ASJ :P), who has incredible ability and ceiling, however, there is the motivation issues and concerns with him, not sure of the validity of it all. But he's a beast. The guy who I think is going to be the best value at TE is CJ Fiedorowicz who might slip into the back half of the 2nd round at the earliest, but could go as late as the 4th round. But he's the guy who I think is going to be a real player, and is vastly undervalued.

A guy I like that I will be keeping an eye on is Martavis Bryant. I think he's going to really blossom in the NFL. He was overshadowed by Watkins but I think when he gets his chance, he's going to be a star. A lot of other people like Jordan Matthews over him, I disagree... I see a possession receiver in Matthews, but a reliable target.... could do worse, but Bryant is the game breaking guy that can be the perfect compliment to Cruz, and a great target for Eli on the outside. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on him at 43.

Really, to me Martin is a better LT prospect then Lewan, the added bonus is he can slip inside if need be.

Martin doesn't have a LT body. Just because he got away with it at Notre Dame doesn't mean he's going to do it in the NFL.

Martin doesn't have a LT body. Just because he got away with it at Notre Dame doesn't mean he's going to do it in the NFL.

People said the same thing about Pugh coming out of college though, he doesnt have the body for a tackle in the NFL.

People put to much emphasis on having a 6ft7 tackle with a 5ft wingpan when in reality I find the smaller tackles are the better ones in the NFL.

It's got nothing to with size. Martin is a technician and actually a lot more physical then Lewan, despite Lewan being 6'7. Martin plays with a nasty demeanor, Lewan is a finesse guy.

It's got nothing to with size. Martin is a technician and actually a lot more physical then Lewan, despite Lewan being 6'7. Martin plays with a nasty demeanor, Lewan is a finesse guy.

Hey.. say that to his face :angry:

:P

According to all I've read, Ebron is the best of this year's crop but not in the same class as the Bengals Tyler Eifert, who was picked 21st last year. I'd much rather get an OL, preferably Lewan.

Ebron is Adrien Robinson all over again (the JPP of TE's...LMAO) - same smaller size TE, excellent athlete....and what did we get? A player that takes up a roster spot on the bench - when he suits up that is. At least we only had to burn a 4th round pick to get Robinson.

Martin, Lewan, Donald, or Evans and I will be happy. At least one of them should still be on the board at 12 unless something freaky happens like Robinson or Mathews slipping through the cracks to us. Wouldn't that be sweet. I'm praying for a run on QB's early.

Ebron is Adrien Robinson all over again (the JPP of TE's...LMAO) - same smaller size TE, excellent athlete....and what did we get? A player that takes up a roster spot on the bench - when he suits up that is. At least we only had to burn a 4th round pick to get Robinson.

Martin, Lewan, Donald, or Evans and I will be happy. At least one of them should still be on the board at 12 unless something freaky happens like Robinson or Mathews slipping through the cracks to us. Wouldn't that be sweet. I'm praying for a run on QB's early.

That's why I don't think we're taking Ebron anyway.... we already have a potential stud TE and we can also address that need in the 3rd Rd or later.... Yes to Martin, Lewan, Donald but fuck no to Evans... there are some pretty good WR projected to be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Good article in the Chicago Tribune about Martin (and other ND prospects)....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-05-07/sports/ct-notre-dame-nfl-draft-spt-0508-20140508_1_jimmy-garoppolo-nfl-network-mike-mayock

Brian Kelly needed a phone charger by his side this spring.

Not only is Notre Dame expected to have at least seven players selected by NFL teams, but the draft's move to May gave executives more time to investigate.

"It has been very busy," Kelly said Wednesday by telephone, appropriately. "I've been fielding more personal calls from head coaches and GMs than in past years."

Notre Dame has one sure first-round pick in Zack Martin, who NFL Network analysticon1.png Mike Mayock believes could excel at all five offensive line spots.

"He's about as safe a player as there is in this draft," said Mayock, who also calls Notre Dame games for NBC. "If you want him, you better get him early."

Kelly raved of Martin: "Put a 'C' on his shirt right away. He's the best I've ever coached in that he will galvanize a locker room. He's an incredible practice player who does everything right before you get to Saturday or Sunday. Then on Sunday, he's your best player, a can't-miss guy like I've never had before."

Defensive linemen Stephon Tuitt and Louis Nix are possible first-rounders, and tight end Troy Niklas is likely to go in the second. Four high-level selections would represent Notre Dame's best haul since the mid-'90s.

Four Irish players were taken among the first 87 picks in 1997, led by Renaldo Wynn at No. 21. The 1994 class was dipped in gold — seven players among the top 92, including first-rounders Bryant Young, Aaron Taylor and Jeff Burris.

"Heck, yeah, we're rooting for all of our guys," Kelly said. "Is it what I came to Notre Dame for? No. I came to Notre Dame to develop and graduate (players) and to win national championships. This is a byproduct."

Kelly will keep tabs on the first round Thursday night at a fundraiser in Grand Rapids, Mich., for a former player.

Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo, poised to be the first Chicago-area native to have his name called, is in New York for the festivities. He was one of four quarterbacks invited to Radio City Music Hall, joining Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, Central Florida's Blake Bortles and Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater.

Garoppolo chose EIU after getting stiff-armed by Big Ten and Mid-American Conference schools, but he's no longer under the radar. He might get snapped up in the first round.

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Christensen of the Throw It Deep academy in Lockport has been touting and training Garoppolo since before his sophomore season at Rolling Meadows. Christensen believes he's the top quarterback in the draft, a 6-foot-21/4, 226-pounder with good footwork and a quick release. His delivery has drawn comparisons to those of EIU alumnus Tony Romo and Kirk Cousins, another Christensen pupil.

"He gets better and better," Christensen said of Garoppolo, who threw for 5,050 yards and 33 touchdowns last season. "He's not deviating from his training or looking for a magic recipe.

"And think about it: He didn't have guys like (Brandon) Marshall, (Alshon) Jeffery and (Martellus) Bennett to throw to. How open would those 6-5 dudes look running up the field? He might play better in the NFL than he did in college."

Well, NFL defensive backs might have something to say about that.

Christensen hopes another EIU alumnus, Saints coach Sean Payton, takes Garoppolo at No. 27 and grooms him to succeed Drew Brees.

Another player with local ties expected to be taken by Friday (second and third rounds) is Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward.

Iowa tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz of Johnsburg and Sandburg High School's Michael Schofield, who excelled as an offensive lineman at Michigan, hope to find NFL homes by Saturday. Same for Northwestern quarterback-turned-receiver Kain Colter, Illinois linebacker Jonathan Brown, NIU's Jordan Lynch and Notre Dame's Chris Watt, TJ Jones, Prince Shembo, Bennett Jackson, George Atkinson and Dan Fox.

I agree with Mayock that Zack Martin is absolutely the safest pick in the draft - talent wise, character wise, and flexibility. I would love to see him in Giants' blue. If we go with Lewan, that leaves us in a dilemma with Beatty because neither Beatty nor Lewan can play guard.

Except that Ebron has played against competition and has excelled at the position in his college career.

Robinson didnt do anything in college and JR just drafted him on physical ability, nothing else.

Ebron could be the next Vernon Davis, Robinson was a fourth round pick because he could maybe become the next Jake Ballard.

I agree that Martin is a technician and have no problem with drafting him, as I think he'll be a terrific guard right away. But people saying he's going to go in and start at LT right away I think that is a very shaky proposition. And you may not take stock into size, but history says that the best OL are built like Lewan. Look at Ryan Clady, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden... they are/were mammoth dudes. Pugh is a fine RT, and he MIGHT be able to switch over, he is an excellent RT.

Look, Zack Martin is not a small guy, and he can PROBABLY play OT in the NFL and do so well. I have a ton of confidence in him as a player, and believe he will be an outstanding OG right away. I think at 12, the value for a guy who is a maybe at tackle but a great Guard, while he is a safe pick, when you look at what else might be available there, especially in Aaron Donald, I think you have to go with him, because he makes a bigger impact on your football team. There will be good OL later, also.

Anything can happen tonight, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Giants trade up or down. I think if Watkins gets to the 8th pick, the Giants are going to look to move up and get him. They could also move down if they find they have several similarly rated players at 12 and pick up and extra 2nd and more. I would love it if that happened, because the 2nd round is going to be outstanding this year.

I agree that Martin is a technician and have no problem with drafting him, as I think he'll be a terrific guard right away. But people saying he's going to go in and start at LT right away I think that is a very shaky proposition. And you may not take stock into size, but history says that the best OL are built like Lewan. Look at Ryan Clady, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden... they are/were mammoth dudes. Pugh is a fine RT, and he MIGHT be able to switch over, he is an excellent RT.

Look, Zack Martin is not a small guy, and he can PROBABLY play OT in the NFL and do so well. I have a ton of confidence in him as a player, and believe he will be an outstanding OG right away. I think at 12, the value for a guy who is a maybe at tackle but a great Guard, while he is a safe pick, when you look at what else might be available there, especially in Aaron Donald, I think you have to go with him, because he makes a bigger impact on your football team. There will be good OL later, also.

Anything can happen tonight, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Giants trade up or down. I think if Watkins gets to the 8th pick, the Giants are going to look to move up and get him. They could also move down if they find they have several similarly rated players at 12 and pick up and extra 2nd and more. I would love it if that happened, because the 2nd round is going to be outstanding this year.

I have my worries about Donald because he's undersized for an DT...which might fly in college, but not so sure he'll do nearly as well in the NFL where big ole linemen just throw you out of the way. If he was taller and heavier and still had those nasty moves, I'd be more comfortable with him. I would never draft a defensive tackle with the idea that he's going to be a sack master. That's for DE's and OLB's. DT's need to be able to stop the run up the middle by plugging the holes. I'm afraid Donald would be thrown out of the way for every RB play....or just let him slip you and go right through the line to go after the QB because the RB already has the ball. Just don't see tackles as sack machines....especially smaller guys going up against NFL offensive linemen.