SportsWrath

Giants Sign C JD Walton

Mr. P

Mike Klis @MikeKlis 55m

Former Broncos center JD Walton signs with NY Giants

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 48m

Walton was a 2-plus-year starter in Denver and is only 26. A good pickup if he's healthy.

Here's one that came out of the blue. According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, the New York Giants are signing a former Denver Broncos center named J.D. Walton, who hasn't played since 2012 because of an ankle injury.

Walton

Walton turns 27 later this month and was a third-round pick by Denver in the 2010 draft. He started all 16 games for the Broncos in 2010 and 2011, and four in 2012 before he got hurt. So this is a dude with some real talent and upside if he's healthy. He fits the age profile of the free agents the Giants appear to be trying to sign (a little on the young side of it, actually) and also the overall profile as a guy who hasn't done much in the league yet but has done enough to demonstrate the promise of more.

Should you pencil him in as your starting center in 2014? I doubt it. There remains a chance the Giants could bring back Kevin Boothe at center, and top free agents such as Evan Dietrich-Smith and Brian de la Puente haven't signed anywhere else yet. I can't imagine Walton costs much to sign, so it's likely the Giants are placing a small bet on a high-upside guy who could start for them at center right away if healthy or down the road if he needs some time to get back into the flow.

The totality of what the Giants have done so far in free agency isn't very impressive at this point, but they do seem to have an idea of what they want to do, and their offseason process is a long, long way from complete.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/34996/giants-to-add-center-j-d-walton

Ed Valentine ‏@bigblueview 2h

"#nyg JD Walton's PFF grades: 2010 (-15.9, 31st among centers); 2011 (-28.0, 35th and dead last). Those are not encouraging numbers."

That's because he didn't play half the season in 2012 or all of last year when the Redskins had him because of his ankle surgery. Prior to that, he was the top center in the 2010 draft and played well for Denver before shattering the ankle.

Hence what I said earlier, if his ankle is fully healed, this is a steal. His numbers when factoring in one and a half lost seasons, do not mean much.

That's because he didn't play all last year when the Redskins had him because of his ankle. Prior to that, he was the top center in the 2010 draft and played well for Denver before the ankle break.

Hence, if his ankle is fully healed, this is a steal. His numbers when factoring in one and a half lost seasons, do not mean much.

His not playing last year has no effect on his 2010 and 2011 grades from PFF. PFF's grades don't always tell the whole story though.

Sometimes I see their numbers and grades and they make sense, other times they boggle my mind.

Well....probably worthless then. Can't figure out why the Giants would sign the worst center in the NFL.

I don't know they don't sound like decent numbers, even if they were a few years back. He was good at Baylor and I guess they are hoping he can turn into something.

I don't know they don't sound like decent numbers, even if they were a few years back. He was good at Baylor and I guess they are hoping he can turn into something.

Stats are pretty meaningless on offensive linemen. The better you are in the middle of the line, the less you are noticed. He's terrific at protecting the QB, but not really a bruiser who will throw a defensive linemen on his back to make a hole for the RB. He's solid if he's healthy...and that's the big question. He's had two surgeries to fix his busted ankle and has missed a season and a half of football. However, he is a technician and very smart. If he's healthy, he'll be good.

Stats are pretty meaningless on offensive linemen. The better you are in the middle of the line, the less you are noticed. He's terrific at protecting the QB, but not really a bruiser who will throw a defensive linemen on his back to make a hole for the RB. He's solid if he's healthy...and that's the big question. He's had two surgeries to fix his busted ankle and has missed a season and a half of football. However, he is a technician and very smart. If he's healthy, he'll be good.

Man I hope you're right... I just don't want another scrub.

The PFF OLine grades measure how well they handle their opponent. Getting large negatives means he got beat, a lot.

I don't think Cordle did that bad. Can anyone access his PFF grades?

Agreed.....Cordle has some upside, and I think he improved when Diehl was slotted between him and Pugh.

If anything, Cordle is a decent backup, and may be a starting-caliber guy.

As far as I'm concerned, Beatty was the biggest disappointment on that line....pretty much everyone else had a valid excuse for struggling. Beatty should have been the stabilizing force, and instead, he was hot garbage for most of the season.

Agreed.....Cordle has some upside, and I think he improved when Diehl was slotted between him and Pugh.

If anything, Cordle is a decent backup, and may be a starting-caliber guy.

As far as I'm concerned, Beatty was the biggest disappointment on that line....pretty much everyone else had a valid excuse for struggling. Beatty should have been the stabilizing force, and instead, he was hot garbage for most of the season.

How excited are you going to be when Beatty is starting again this Sept?