SportsWrath

Ok, seriously: the Joseph love.

Sephiroth

Listen, I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but honestly, I don't understand the love he's getting both here on the boards and by the fan base in general.

Yes, he's been a solid player. Yes, he's young and will probably get better, and yes, he's a home-grown talent. But seriously, does anyone on the boards here think he's worth more than 4 million a season? Case in point:

1. Two years ago Joseph was a full-time starter and we had to bring in Rogers to help the run defense. Rogers got hurt and predictably, the run defense continued to suck. It wasn't until Jenkins and Patterson got here that the defense improved. It can be argued the run D was good due to their additions, not to the play of Joseph. He's not bad at stuffing the run but it can be argued he's not a difference-maker either.

2. Name three big plays Joseph has made in his career. I can remember two from the Super Bowl when I thought he was poised to break out the next year. I'm still waiting for that breakout.

3. Run-stuffing DTs can be had on the cheap at any time (see Jenkins, Patterson). I mean, even if Joseph goes you can plug in Shawn Rogers and get 8 games of Joseph-like play out of him for probably a mil and a half.

4. We have John Hankins, who is also young, stuffs the run, and has a big upside. He played well in spot duty last year.

5. The money we'd have to spend to outbid teams on Joseph (probably around 8 million per) could be better spent signing a real NEED area on the team. I'd much rather see a starting guard, playmaking linebacker, or hell, even a blocking TE than a DT that will be in a four-man rotation next year.

This reminds me of Marvin Austin part 2. I'm not saying Joseph sucks as completely as Austin did, but I remember everyone crying the blues when we got rid of the former, and he's now out of the NFL. Let some other team overpay for Joseph and enjoy his 3 sacks per year and adequate-run stuffing ability. Enough with the love; he's not Cortez Kennedy.

I'm still pissed that we let whathisname go to the Redskins and anchor their one DT spot for the past, what, decade or so. I think Linval can hold his own. He's not going to consistently break double teams or change a game, but he's solid. Should he be the highest paid DT in the league, probably not. But the lowest, not even close.

I would think that with the increased salary cap, that the 3-4 range would be the tops I'd go.

Hankins...he's the insurance policy for these negotiations with Joseph. You hate to have to fall back on him, because if an injury takes out our insurance policy, we'd be screwed.

If given the choice between Joseph and an equally talented guard I would take the guard in a heartbeat.....offensive line is a shambles and we have depth at DT

Math-wise, it may come down to something similar.

Listen, I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but honestly, I don't understand the love he's getting both here on the boards and by the fan base in general.

Yes, he's been a solid player. Yes, he's young and will probably get better, and yes, he's a home-grown talent. But seriously, does anyone on the boards here think he's worth more than 4 million a season? Case in point:

1. Two years ago Joseph was a full-time starter and we had to bring in Rogers to help the run defense. Rogers got hurt and predictably, the run defense continued to suck. It wasn't until Jenkins and Patterson got here that the defense improved. It can be argued the run D was good due to their additions, not to the play of Joseph. He's not bad at stuffing the run but it can be argued he's not a difference-maker either.

2. Name three big plays Joseph has made in his career. I can remember two from the Super Bowl when I thought he was poised to break out the next year. I'm still waiting for that breakout.

3. Run-stuffing DTs can be had on the cheap at any time (see Jenkins, Patterson). I mean, even if Joseph goes you can plug in Shawn Rogers and get 8 games of Joseph-like play out of him for probably a mil and a half.

4. We have John Hankins, who is also young, stuffs the run, and has a big upside. He played well in spot duty last year.

5. The money we'd have to spend to outbid teams on Joseph (probably around 8 million per) could be better spent signing a real NEED area on the team. I'd much rather see a starting guard, playmaking linebacker, or hell, even a blocking TE than a DT that will be in a four-man rotation next year.

This reminds me of Marvin Austin part 2. I'm not saying Joseph sucks as completely as Austin did, but I remember everyone crying the blues when we got rid of the former, and he's now out of the NFL. Let some other team overpay for Joseph and enjoy his 3 sacks per year and adequate-run stuffing ability. Enough with the love; he's not Cortez Kennedy.

Giants have been consistent with letting defensive tackles go. Barry Cofield is going to make $4.5 mil this season, Broderick Bunkley who is a bum is going to make $4.4 million. Now if any team is going to pay Joseph $8 million a season then yeah we won't be able to keep him. I would pay him $5-6 million since he is young and healthy.

Cullen Jenkins and Shaun Rogers hopefully have two more years in them and Jenkins is the only one who could start 16 games next season, Patterson is a FA.

So two years ago, 2012 season...Chris Canty was out half the season because of knee surgery and Linval Joseph was playing next Rocky Bernard, Markus Kuhn and Marvin Austin. Shaun Rogers never made it into the regular season that year. There was a reason why the defense couldn't stop the run in 2012, Linval Joseph wasn't one of them.

His job is to just take up space in the middle.

At the same time, he was disappointing in 2011 for the saints, on IR for the giants in all of 2012, and was sent to injured reserve again last year in november.

You actually have to be IN the middle, to just take up space there. I'd like to see him try out for the team, but very little faith in him.