SportsWrath

Five free agents to watch for the Giants

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/five_free_agents_to_watch_for_the_giants.html

Next Tuesday, free agency officially begins. The Giants can start to restock their roster with fresh, new faces.

General manager Jerry Reese has a lot of work to do. The Giants have 27 free agents of their own (restricted and unrestricted), and a good chunk of them won't be returning.

In their place will be some new pieces. For the most part, expect the additions to be younger, more athletic than their predecessors. The Giants are intent on getting younger and quicker on defense. They're hell-bent on getting younger and more talented on their offensive line.

Here are some options:

OG Chad Rinehart – The Giants were very impressed by the size and physicality of the Chargers offensive line when they played in December. Rinehart was part of that dominating group, and played very well down the stretch of the season when he was healthy. He's proven to be an excellent pass blocker over the years. At 28 years old and still is in the prime of his career, Rinehart's one of the top free-agent guards on the market, but isn't a big-name player who will command top dollar. He's exactly the type of lineman the Giants would appear to be looking for in their new offense.

C Evan Dietrich-Smith – The final decision on current Giants center David Baas has yet to be made. Dietrich-Smith is an interesting option if the Giants decide to cut ties with Baas. Dietrich-Smith, 27, just completed his first season at center, but was very effective in the middle of the Packers' line. Plus, a quality presence in the middle of the offensive line that knows much of what new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo is trying to teach and install could be valuable.

TE Andrew Quarless – The former Penn State star knows McAdoo even better than Dietrich-Smith. The Giants' new OC was Quarless' position coach his first two seasons in Green Bay. Given an opportunity to showcase his size and athleticism, he could thrive with a change of scenery. He also wouldn't cost a ton and allows the Giants to still address the tight-end position high in the draft, if they so please.

CB Corey Graham – Prince Amukamara showed this past season that he works best playing in press coverage. That means the Giants need a bigger, physical corner on the other side in order for their defense to thrive. Graham (6-foot-0, 196) had success in Baltimore, where no team asks for more physicality from its corners than the Ravens. He would fit well with the Giants, and come at a respectable price. As an added bonus, Graham could slide to the slot in nickel situations if necessary. He performed well in that role with the Ravens. The Giants' nickel corner, Terrell Thomas, is also a free agent.

KR Devin Hester – Hester, 31, is not on the younger side, but he’s still a quality returner. In fact, Hester had one of his best seasons as a returner in 2013, even though it didn’t include a handful of his trademark returns for touchdowns. Hester averaged an impressive 27.6 yards on kicks and 14.2 yards on punts. The Giants averaged 21.2 yards on kick returns and 7.2 yards on punts. Owner John Mara said after the season the Giants needed to find a returner. Hester would be a quality short-term answer, especially since 30-plus-year-old returners don’t break the bank, even when you’re one of the greatest returners of all-time.

From the NY Daily News:

Here’s a look at three potential options on the free agent market:

Geoff Schwartz, G, Kansas City: The 28-year-old is the versatile type Tom Coughlin loves, capable of playing tackle or guard and providing the Giants with plenty of flexibility in the draft. He played guard last season, replacing an injured Jon Asamoah. A tough run-blocker who excelled in pass protection last season as well.

Chad Rinehart, G, San Diego: Missed five games with a toe injury, but returned to help stabilize the Charger line. Rinehart started 11 games at both guard spots and started both of San Diego’s playoff games at left guard. A key reason RB Ryan Mathews rushed for 775 yards in the final eight games of the regular season.

Evan Dietrich-Smith, C, Packers: Played out a one-year deal with Green Bay and won over quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who said he could see himself taking snaps from Dietrich-Smith for a while. But the Packers are deep along the offensive line, so the 27-year-old may be allowed to walk. Also has experience at guard, and Coughlin loves versatility.

I've always thought Snee can recover and has 1 maybe 2 quality years left in him. This below is what endears him to us Giants fans:

NY Giants guard Chris Snee says he’s willing to take a pay cut

The highest-paid guard in the NFL is ready to take a pay cut.

Giants guard Chris Snee, who missed most of last season with a torn hip labrum, said on SiriusXM Radio Friday morning that he's open to paring down his $6.75 million salary for 2014. At the moment, he also carries an $11.3 million cap hit. A source said a pay cut has not yet been discussed.

"I'm easy," he said. "I've never complained, even when I was a younger guy on my rookie deal, I never complained about wanting to make more money. I've always restructured. Now comes a time where I know my (cap) number is high. The most important thing is to be a part of a winning team. My role is to take a pay cut and to bring in guys who can help the team.

Snee is a former All-Pro and one of the mainstays on the Giants line for the last decade, but that large contract could have conceivably become an issue this offseason, as the Giants looked to revamp their squad.

"That's my job," he said of a possible pay cut. "I've never complained about money. I'll do what I have to do for this team to get better."

Snee went on to say that he definitely wants to return next season, echoing what Giants GM Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin both said during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last week.

"My passion for the game is still there," Snee said.

Snee has been rehabbing ever since having surgery on his hip last year, and he indicated that he's made steady progress. According to a source, Snee is "well down the road" in his recovery. Snee said himself that his hip and leg strength are fine on Sirius.

He added that he wasn't sure whether a pay cut had happened yet.

"I've always kind of stayed out of the business part of it," he said. "There's too many numbers. I'm kind of confused by the whole process, to be honest with you."

If we can resign Beason and could pick up a solid OG (or C) and decent CB before the draft, I'd be elated.

Of all the stuff I've read for the past few weeks, the only thing that sticks out in my mind that I think will come to fruition is that the Giants are going to draft David Yankey out of Stanford, perhaps as high as the 2nd round, but more likely the 3rd if he's still on the board. The front office seems to really like him and he fits a need.

That would make me think the Giants aren't going to pick up a guard in the free agency, although it would be a good idea even if they are targeting Yankey who'll probably need a year playing backup before being completely NFL ready.

If we can resign Beason and could pick up a solid OG (or C) and decent CB before the draft, I'd be elated.

Of all the stuff I've read for the past few weeks, the only thing that sticks out in my mind that I think will come to fruition is that the Giants are going to draft David Yankey out of Stanford, perhaps as high as the 2nd round, but more likely the 3rd if he's still on the board. The front office seems to really like him and he fits a need.

That would make me think the Giants aren't going to pick up a guard in the free agency, although it would be a good idea even if they are targeting Yankey who'll probably need a year playing backup before being completely NFL ready.

I think the Giants pick up 2 OLs in FA and retain Snee... Rookie OLs aren't going to step in right away.. at least not 2 of them. I do think the Giants at least try to land 2 of the guys listed above at OL and even a CB and TE.

If Snee's even close to 80% and also willing to take a paycut then I'd love to resign him, as long as it's a cap-friendly endevour. But his play was pretty shit in 2012 too so I don't think he's the best judge of wether he's healthy enough to play or not.

If Snee's even close to 80% and also willing to take a paycut then I'd love to resign him, as long as it's a cap-friendly endevour. But his play was pretty shit in 2012 too so I don't think he's the best judge of wether he's healthy enough to play or not.

His play was pretty bad two years ago too when he was "healthy." He's a high-risk/low-reward guy now at this stage in his career.

His play was pretty bad two years ago too when he was "healthy." He's a high-risk/low-reward guy now at this stage in his career.

Problem is, until he's restructured, which I have to assume will happen sooner than later given his willingness to do so, he's not being paid like a high risk, low reward guy.

I think for the cap, he needs to reduce his base salary to near vet minimum, maybe 1 million per year AND extend for 1 year to ease the prorated portion of his last signing bonus.

I think that he'd play this year and would be cut next offseason.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I get the impression hes a "I can play, coach" kind of guy; thinks he's ready to go regardless of how injured he really is. I know he was playing with pain for quite a while.

Problem is, until he's restructured, which I have to assume will happen sooner than later given his willingness to do so, he's not being paid like a high risk, low reward guy.

I think for the cap, he needs to reduce his base salary to near vet minimum, maybe 1 million per year AND extend for 1 year to ease the prorated portion of his last signing bonus.

I think that he'd play this year and would be cut next offseason.

Hey Chris we were going to pay you about $6.75 million as per your contract but you know since we can't manage salaries around here we had to restructure it upwards to $11.75 million. Now you haven't been healthy the last two years so we only want to pay you one million and then you can retire since you'll be out of contract at the end of the season.

Hey Chris we were going to pay you about $6.75 million as per your contract but you know since we can't manage salaries around here we had to restructure it upwards to $11.75 million. Now you haven't been healthy the last two years so we only want to pay you one million and then you can retire since you'll be out of contract at the end of the season.

That, or be cut now to take his chances on the open market. Choice belongs to Snee. I think the Coughlin connection is enough for Snee to want to stay in NY, even if he'd be offered slightly more elsewhere. The article said that Snee is aware that he has a high number and that he'd be willing to restructure. Not sure if the Giants approached him first or if this comment was off the cuff, but regardless, the Giants would be fools not to take advantage of a player who is willing to play for less for the betterment of the team.

I don't have problems with teams managing their cap to the advantage of the team and I don't have a problem with a player managing his finances to the advantage of the player. It's the business side of it and that's fine.

My only issue is when business takes precedence for the player (holding out, going half ass to stay healthy, etc.). I understand the players don't have much leverage otherwise, but if they kept in mind that they're playing a game for a living, it'd go a long way.

That, or be cut now to take his chances on the open market. Choice belongs to Snee. I think the Coughlin connection is enough for Snee to want to stay in NY, even if he'd be offered slightly more elsewhere. The article said that Snee is aware that he has a high number and that he'd be willing to restructure. Not sure if the Giants approached him first or if this comment was off the cuff, but regardless, the Giants would be fools not to take advantage of a player who is willing to play for less for the betterment of the team.

I don't have problems with teams managing their cap to the advantage of the team and I don't have a problem with a player managing his finances to the advantage of the player. It's the business side of it and that's fine.

My only issue is when business takes precedence for the player (holding out, going half ass to stay healthy, etc.). I understand the players don't have much leverage otherwise, but if they kept in mind that they're playing a game for a living, it'd go a long way.

Problem is the Giants don't manage their cap properly. Of all the people we have to ask to take a pay cut its the guy who will probably be walking around on an artificial hip the rest of his life. It just sucks and there plenty of other players who could and should take some smaller cuts to keep Chris from giving up a big chunk of his salary. I remember Eli buying the offensive line cars after the super bowl, he should make sure Chris Snee never has to work again.

Even if Snee gets cut, and gets nothing, he's made $35million + on this contract. If he manages to blow all of that, then I can't really have sympathy for him.

Snee was one of the best guards in the league and was paid accordingly.

It's not the same as cutting Adam Koets while he's injured. Or a practice squad player--which would be far, far more of a hardship. But that happens all the time, and fans don't say a word.