SportsWrath

Jon Beason

Sephiroth

Obviously we bag on Reese for LBer choices but he has had success this way. Same issue when Blackburn, left his couch and then SB. Not saying Beason equates SB but when the LBer crew falls off a cliff there always seems to be a body to make them reasonable again.

I guess what most of us are sick of is the patchwork LBs we keep landing instead of solid player who can make an impact... I remember the days when I just knew our D will get us that 3 and out... or make that goal-line stand... have we had a goal-line stand since that Washington game in 2007?

Could it be that we don't throw enough because the guys we have there tend to be sub-par?

Shockey was easily one of the best TE talents the Giant's have had since Bavaro, Coughlin and Silly Gilly got into town and made him a pure pass blocking TE.

Gilly and Coughlin just don't use TEs in a passing scheme. Period.

Even Myers is used more as a WR then a TE.

I guess what most of us are sick of is the patchwork LBs we keep landing instead of solid player who can make an impact... I remember the days when I just knew our D will get us that 3 and out... or make that goal-line stand... have we had a goal-line stand since that Washington game in 2007?

Nas .....unless I was dreaming ....we had a goal-line stand against Oakland on Sun !!!!

Obviously we bag on Reese for LBer choices but he has had success this way. Same issue when Blackburn, left his couch and then SB. Not saying Beason equates SB but when the LBer crew falls off a cliff there always seems to be a body to make them reasonable again.

Blackburn was (and still is) a decent linebacker.....he has 2 rings with the Giants. In 2007, the Giants had a decent linebacking unit (Pierce/Mitchell/Torbor)....in 2011, Boley had maybe his best year as a Pro, and Blackburn was steady....they also had Kiwi and J-Will playing.

If anything the defense responds when the linebackers don't suck.

Bennett got more money than he's worth in Chicago, you can't blame Reese for passing there.

Disagree.....Bennett is earning his contract there.

yeah bennett is nothing special and we don't throw to our TE enough to be paying for one

Myers isn't worth the money we saved.

Agreed. At this point, I've come to accept that Reese will never place top priority on a linebacker. But I'd settle for LB being a top 5 priority.

Instead, the jackass is nailing down the 3rd string QB spot when linebackers and offensive lineman were flying off the shelves in the draft.

It's really no surprise the Giants went 0-6, and fans and sportswriters jumped all over Reese's ass over it. He deserved all the criticism, and hopefully the lesson has sunk in.

Shockey was easily one of the best TE talents the Giant's have had since Bavaro, Coughlin and Silly Gilly got into town and made him a pure pass blocking TE.

I think a lot of it had to do with Eli throwing the ball 5 feet above his head... and a TE should be able to block anyway.

I think a lot of it had to do with Eli throwing the ball 5 feet above his head... and a TE should be able to block anyway.

Look at TE's in todays league and tell me that most starting TEss are not just an extra WR on the field. It's why typically now a days sports casters have to refer to guys like Pascoe "As the Giant's blocking TE"

Heck a TE leads the league in receiving touchdowns and is top five in yards.

Myers is the same type of player, in Oakland of all places he was still able to put up an 800+ yard season with who the hell knows throwing to him.

Yet Gilly cant find a way to exploit a defense by having an extra WR on the field, he couldnt with Shockey and he can't with Myers.

Look at TE's in todays league and tell me that most starting TEss are not just an extra WR on the field. It's why typically now a days sports casters have to refer to guys like Pascoe "As the Giant's blocking TE"

Myers is the same type of player, in Oakland of all places he was still able to put up an 800+ yard season with who the hell knows throwing to him.

Yet Gilly cant find a way to exploit a defense by having an extra WR on the field, he couldnt with Shockey and he can't with Myers.

We are so overdue a change at coordinator.

Could it be that we don't throw enough because the guys we have there tend to be sub-par?

sure that's entirely possible. i just think gilbride's offense is just designed in a way that doesn't emphasize TE's and that's why we never spend on any and just take fliers on projects like robinson or sign cheap guys.

as for gilbride i do think the game has passed his offense by. other teams would utilize our weapons much better than we do--even when we were winning.

like joe said TE's are a big part of today's game and we don't even try to get a good one so we can incorporate that into our offense.

as for myers, i had him on my fantasy team last year and i followed all the raider games, he wouldn't do shit in the first half and got all his yards and catches in the 4th quarter during garbage time on dumpoffs while teams played back. i was cool with bringing him in but he's honestly not that good

Arrington was playing alright, just when he finally got his shit together he ruptured his achilles.

That's exactly the point.

We managed his knees, he was determined to earn his pay; and the minute he started to get a feel for our defense, he was taken out of football. He had a contract for what--three years? If we didn't have escape clauses, we would have been on the hook for 56 million. Or at least that portion that was bonuses.

We're out of the cap bind next year. I would hate to have something like this bite us in the ass.

You gotta a point there.

This...

Blackburn was (and still is) a decent linebacker.....he has 2 rings with the Giants. In 2007, the Giants had a decent linebacking unit (Pierce/Mitchell/Torbor)....in 2011, Boley had maybe his best year as a Pro, and Blackburn was steady....they also had Kiwi and J-Will playing.

If anything the defense responds when the linebackers don't suck.

Disagree.....Bennett is earning his contract there.

Myers isn't worth the money we saved.

Agreed. At this point, I've come to accept that Reese will never place top priority on a linebacker. But I'd settle for LB being a top 5 priority.

Instead, the jackass is nailing down the 3rd string QB spot when linebackers and offensive lineman were flying off the shelves in the draft.

It's really no surprise the Giants went 0-6, and fans and sportswriters jumped all over Reese's ass over it. He deserved all the criticism, and hopefully the lesson has sunk in.

M.I.A. has more heart, gumption and tenacity than Myers... I think we should call him Maia... :P

Agree...for a good long while up until the 90's ...TE's were just eligible lineman for the most part...Most had hands of stone

as for gilbride i do think the game has passed his offense by. other teams would utilize our weapons much better than we do--even when we were winning.

like joe said TE's are a big part of today's game and we don't even try to get a good one so we can incorporate that into our offense.

as for myers, i had him on my fantasy team last year and i followed all the raider games, he wouldn't do shit in the first half and got all his yards and catches in the 4th quarter during garbage time on dumpoffs while teams played back. i was cool with bringing him in but he's honestly not that good

His offense is so...so...USFL... :D

I can't believe you guys are pining for Shockey. He had a great rookie year and then didn't do dick for the rest of his career.

Even when he was traded to New Orleans so that his "career would be revived under Sean Payton" he became more famous for being reemed out by Drew Brees on the sideline than for making plays.

I can't believe you guys are pining for Shockey. He had a great rookie year and then didn't do dick for the rest of his career.

Even when he was traded to New Orleans so that his "career would be revived under Sean Payton" he became more famous for being reemed out by Drew Brees on the sideline than for making plays.

It's not so much pining for Shockey as it is complaining that Gilbride's offense doesn't know how to use tight ends.

Somehow, an offense that made players out of Boss, Ballard, and Pascoe doesn't know how to use TEs to their fullest, while other teams could...? Apparently, these guys were as good as Antonio Gates in his prime, and we just wasted their talent.

Gilbride deserves criticism for not compensating for a shit oline this season, but he definitely gets more grief on this board than he deserves over the years.