SportsWrath

Jon Beason

Sephiroth

The guy had microfracture surgery on his knee--can we wait and see if he can make it to the end of the season first?

I'm not trashing the guy--it's great to see a real linebacker again--but it would be a good idea to find out if he has some ability to keep on the field before risking a multi-year deal.

I've seen enough to reward him... and if he goes down for whatever reason, then you can always cut him. And there are ways to make the contract incentive-heavy.

im sure signing him isn't going to be a problem. he and his agent are aware that he basically had the two worst leg injuries someone can have and won't expect a big multi-year guarantee.

i've always loved the guy and although i wasn't around for the 80's teams he seems to fit that giants linebacker image that my generation grew up learning about. i was actually hoping carolina would cut him this offseason with the emergency of kuechly but i don't mind giving up the 7th round pick for him either

It is so good to see Beason in a Giants uniform.

I was absolutely convinced that we were going to take him @ #20 in the 2007 Draft when we picked Aaron Ross.

I was gutted when he fell to #25 for the Panthers.

To be honest I also wanted Poslusny in that Draft ........but I forgot ....we don't know how to draft linebacks ! ( Joe )

It is so good to see Beason in a Giants uniform.

I was absolutely convinced that we were going to take him @ #20 in the 2007 Draft when we picked Aaron Ross.

I was gutted when he fell to #25 for the Panthers.

To be honest I also wanted Poslusny in that Draft ........but I forgot ....we don't know how to draft linebacks ! ( Joe )

Drafting Ross in the 1st round was infuriating.

I've seen enough to reward him... and if he goes down for whatever reason, then you can always cut him. And there are ways to make the contract incentive-heavy.

Then I hope you're not one of the guys screaming for Snee and Diehl being cut, or about the current cap situation. Because those contracts were signed when Snee was in the middle of his pro bowl seasons, and Diehl was starting LT, and these shitty years are how we're paying off the bonuses. They had a hell of a bigger reason to give out those contracts than 4 games, no matter how good the 4 games have been.

im sure signing him isn't going to be a problem. he and his agent are aware that he basically had the two worst leg injuries someone can have and won't expect a big multi-year guarantee.

i've always loved the guy and although i wasn't around for the 80's teams he seems to fit that giants linebacker image that my generation grew up learning about. i was actually hoping carolina would cut him this offseason with the emergency of kuechly but i don't mind giving up the 7th round pick for him either

On the other hand, if that agent is worth anything, he's going to be looking for as much guaranteed money as he can possibly get--because Beason had the two worst leg injuries someone can have. And if he makes it through this season with the same level he's shown so far, Beason's value is probably not going to get higher than it is right now, realistically. If he gets guaranteed money, you're looking at a multi-year contract just to space it out; and you could easily find yourself paying for an IR jockey.

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if we re-signed him so long as he makes it through the season; I just don't think there's a rush.

Then I hope you're not one of the guys screaming for Snee and Diehl being cut, or about the current cap situation. Because those contracts were signed when Snee was in the middle of his pro bowl seasons, and Diehl was starting LT, and these shitty years are how we're paying off the bonuses. They had a hell of a bigger reason to give out those contracts than 4 games, no matter how good the 4 games have been.

On the other hand, if that agent is worth anything, he's going to be looking for as much guaranteed money as he can possibly get--because Beason had the two worst leg injuries someone can have. And if he makes it through this season with the same level he's shown so far, Beason's value is probably not going to get higher than it is right now, realistically. If he gets guaranteed money, you're looking at a multi-year contract just to space it out; and you could easily find yourself paying for an IR jockey.

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if we re-signed him so long as he makes it through the season; I just don't think there's a rush.

We chastised Reese for years for ignoring this position in the draft. All the sudden we get a 28 year with two microfracture surgeries and it's we don't need LB's anymore. Resign him is fine, but don't ignore getting a younger guy in the draft.

We need to lock in Beason for the next 3 years. Always lock in the guys who WANT to play for us. They will try that much harder as Beason is and will if we treat him right. Will Hill is another example. Give them a life and they will give you theirs.

Like Curry? He wanted to play for us...

How about Arrington? He's an even better example. Plenty of desire, just couldn't do it.

Like Curry? He wanted to play for us...

How about Arrington? He's an even better example. Plenty of desire, just couldn't do it.

It was really obvious to me that Curry DIDN'T want to play for us, or anyone for that matter.

I remember after listening to his first interview I said, "no way is that dude making the team." Sounded totally unmotivated, and it showed in his play.

That's literally what it was. He played one quarter.

Connor for Blackburn....... Myers for Bennett.......2 stellar Reese free agency moves right there.

Reese redeemed himself with the Beason trade, and I fully expect Beason to re-sign with the Giants.

But if Reese doesn't make a generous offer to retain the guy who has kept this season from falling into the Abyss, he is a complete fool.

Arrington was playing alright, just when he finally got his shit together he ruptured his achilles.

I seem to remember that Arrington was ' as quiet as a mouse ' for the first 6 weeks in 2006 and did absolutely nothing......then got a Safety in Dallas and promptly got a career ending injury a few plays later

I seem to remember that Arrington was ' as quiet as a mouse ' for the first 6 weeks in 2006 and did absolutely nothing......then got a Safety in Dallas and promptly got a career ending injury a few plays later

If I recall that was pretty much on par with our entire LB core and defense that year.

I'm not saying he was All-pro level of play here but neither was the rest of that defense.

Connor for Blackburn....... Myers for Bennett.......2 stellar Reese free agency moves right there.

Reese redeemed himself with the Beason trade, and I fully expect Beason to re-sign with the Giants.

But if Reese doesn't make a generous offer to retain the guy who has kept this season from falling into the Abyss, he is a complete fool.

Obviously we bag on Reese for LBer choices but he has had success this way. Same issue when Blackburn, left his couch and then SB. Not saying Beason equates SB but when the LBer crew falls off a cliff there always seems to be a body to make them reasonable again.