SportsWrath

Giants defense hasn't allowed a TD in ten quarters.

Sephiroth

The defense has also been helped with the lack of turn overs... between field position and time to rest between defensive series that is a big difference makers.

I know the Eagles and the Vikings are nothing to get TOO hot about stopping... but Adrian Peterson has made defenses look stupid, even when they were just keying off of him on every play...

AND the Eagles hung 36 points on them just a couple weeks back.

The defense has also been helped with the lack of turn overs... between field position and time to rest between defensive series that is a big difference makers.

I know the Eagles and the Vikings are nothing to get TOO hot about stopping... but Adrian Peterson has made defenses look stupid, even when they were just keying off of him on every play...

AND the Eagles hung 36 points on them just a couple weeks back.

Good points.

Tuck isn't prone to bursts of excitement or overstatement. I don't think you can read much into that.

You're probably right. But clearly, these guys were not happy with this "sit back and let's figure it out how the offense is attacking us" approach.

Prior to this intervention, this defense was backpedalling down the field, too afraid of giving up a big play to make any sort of play at all.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/28/giant-improvement-came-when-fewell-simplified-defense/

“We just didn’t have an identity on defense,’’ cornerback Terrell Thomas said. “We were adjusting too much and we were not playing fast. I think we were trying to do too much at times, as a coaching staff and as players. Once we got to a stage where we could simplify things and play a lot faster play with our eyes and our speed and our talent, you could see the results on the field.’’

This is the main reason I wish we had Spags, not Fewell.....Spags was no genius, but he was creative with his blitzes, and he wasn't afraid to let his players gamble.

I'm certain if they could take a poll, the players would prefer Spags over Fewell.....but maybe now - FOR THE 2ND TIME (see 2011), Fewell will just come to the conclusion that he has to trust his veterans to play on instinct, but within the broader context of his scheme.

To put it a little simpler, no more micromanaging, and more trust in his guys to play their positions.

I'd take Spags over Fewell in a heartbeat too, I just don't think you can extrapolate that much out of the statement.

Here's my interpretation:

"Fewell is a good coordinator, but he has to trust us to do our jobs. We can't do our jobs when we are being asked to be responsible for a hundred check down calls before and during our snap. He has to trust our experience, instinct, and athleticism."

I'm sure Tuck is reading how the defense sucks, how he sucks, etc., etc., and was getting frustrated.

At some point, you've got to let your guys go out there and win a fucking game. If Belichick could do that, Fewell needs to do that as well.

It's crazy to think that after 2011, they'd need to approach him again with this shit. It's a HUGE reason why this team is in the basement right now....that and the pathetic offensive line.

This reminds me of the story that came out after that Giant/49er game in 86, on the Monday night, the one Bavaro carried Ronnie Lott and half the SF defense on his back for 20 yards. If you'll recall, Giants were down 17-0 at half, getting outplayed on both sides of the ball. Parcells told them at half, "...you're thinking too much, trying to play chess. Just line up and knock the shit out of the guy across from you and we'll see what happens". It was a different Giant team in the 2nd half. Bavaro's play punctuated the comeback. Final score, 21-17, NYG. That's the night I knew, I fucking KNEW, we were going to win the Super Bowl.

This reminds me of the story that came out after that Giant/49er game in 86, on the Monday night, the one Bavaro carried Ronnie Lott and half the SF defense on his back for 20 yards. If you'll recall, Giants were down 17-0 at half, getting outplayed on both sides of the ball. Parcells told them at half, "...you're thinking too much, trying to play chess. Just line up and knock the shit out of the guy across from you and we'll see what happens". It was a different Giant team in the 2nd half. Bavaro's play punctuated the comeback. Final score, 21-17, NYG. That's the night I knew, I fucking KNEW, we were going to win the Super Bowl.

Sorry I don't recall :P

I agree that fewell is nowhere near as aggravating as killdrive.....someone needs to send him a memo that every human on earth knows its going to be a corner fade to nicks once they get to the end zone .....and the inability to run his system without multiple delay penalties is insane

That Eagles game shouldn't have been close

Year after year after year. It's infuriating.

Watching Eli doing adjustments at the line that the defense is just waiting for...then a second or two before snapping the defense then goes into another scheme based on the adjustments Eli made to what he thought he saw...if its not the corner fade its the shotgun draw...or the one back backfield where everyone knows its going to the back and pretty much where he is going to go with it. :P

I watched that game too man....the MNF announcers went bug fuck crazy....Rambo carried half of the 69'ers on his back... :D

Thanks for posting that. It's one of the moments in one of the games I'll never forget. Now I might have to go find a copy of that whole game somewhere.

Yeah man I was looking for it... All they have is the 1990 game against the 69'ers on YouTube... I had a supervisor who I lost contact with who had videotapes of all of the Giants/69'er regular season and playoff games going back to 81'... of course he was my favorite supervisor at that job... :)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, the D has been really, really good lately.

Part of me wants to believe that and I think the addition of Beason and Hill have a lot to do with it.. however, we haven't played against any good QBs over the last few games... time will tell.