SportsWrath

Giants defense hasn't allowed a TD in ten quarters.

Sephiroth

The Giants defense has been stellar for the past three games... now what is different NOW than it was 3 games ago... has there been, maybe, some new player added or a position that's been addressed?

The difference is just amazing.

From what I understand, some vets, including Tuck, approached Fewell about simplifying the scheme so they wouldn't need to make a zillion reads on every play, and instead, just be able to play football more instinctively. That happened at the halftime of the Bears game.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/simplifying-giants-defense-turned-it-around-1.6335812

Sometimes less is more, particularly when the goal is to allow as few points, yards and plays as possible. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the Giants' defense seemed to turn around when they started using less of it.

At halftime against the Bears, the Giants had allowed 24 points and were a touchdown away from becoming the first team in NFL history to allow at least 30 points in each of its first six games. That's when several key members of the defense approached coordinator Perry Fewell with a suggestion.

They were getting bogged down with calls and checks and all of the intricacies involved in their system. They wanted it simplified.

"You know, Perry is pretty good at scheming, he really is,'' said Justin Tuck, one of the players who approached Fewell in the Soldier Field locker room. "But sometimes you can have so much and it slows you down because mentally you're thinking about all the checks you have.''

Since that decision to scale back the calls and just play football, the Giants' defense has allowed no touchdowns and only three points. They have won two games and came within inches -- on an Eli Manning pass to Brandon Myers -- of winning a third.

This is deja vu from 2011.....Fewell simplified the gameplan, the players responded, and the defense got hot and helped them win a Super Bowl.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/back_to_the_basics_giants_defe.html

After weeks of confused defensive backs allowing receivers to run free through the secondary, the Giants’ cornerbacks and safeties knew what they were doing against the Jets, and it showed.

They got their hands on eight passes (six knocked away and two intercepted), held Mark Sanchez to only 258 yards passing (a small number considering he threw the ball 59 times for an average of only 4.4 yards per attempt) and forced Sanchez to hold the ball on a few sacks.

It was easy as A ...

Actually, that’s all it was, thanks to defensive coordinator Perry Fewell’s simplified game plan.

“He went back to the old ways. He solidified: ‘Regardless of they give us A, B, C or D, this is what we’re doing,’ ” safety Deon Grant said on Monday. “Before, trying to protect certain people or whatever the case may be, we had a different call for A, a different call for B and so on.

“Guys mentally were faster with it (against the Jets). That’s the way it was last year and in the beginning of the season this year.”

Don't ask me why Fewell reverted back to his overly complicated schemes in 2012 and 2013. Maybe this time around, it will stick in his block head that players are drafted to play.

I also think Beason has had a huge impact.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/10/giants_spotlight_middle_linebacker_jon_beason_lives_up_to_hype_vs_eagles.html

It would be a pretty strange coincidence if Beason wasn't part of the reason the Giants have improved drastically on defense since his insertion into the starting lineup. The only question appears to be how much of it has to do with his presence in the huddle and locker room compared to his production on the field.

So I figured let's take a closer look at Sunday, when Beason's impact on the field didn't appear overwhelming at first glance. His final stat line consisted of four tackles. No sacks, no interceptions, no impact plays. Yet afterwards and the day after, Beason remained the talk of the locker room. Players, coaches and media were ranting and raving about his overall impact.

It didn't take long on tape to see what they were talking about. Two plays in, Beason made a spectacular play when the Eagles handed the ball to star running back LeSean McCoy, who appeared to have a significant hole to attack (picture 1) on the right side. Beason was met in the by vacated spot on the left side of the defensive line by pulling All-Pro tackle Jason Peters. Beason engaged the mammoth Peters, shed the block and tackled McCoy for a minimal 1-yard gain.

So, we have a simplified scheme that allows the defense to play instinctively, along with a middle linebacker that can actually shed a block.

I really hope that Reese is watching this....maybe now, he's learned his lesson about the value of linebackers.

yeah, I was dead wrong about Beason. Dude can flat out play.

He kind of reminds me of a couple guys I play hockey with.

There's this one dude who is really not in very good shape.....has a beer gut, likes his snacks, etc.

But put him out on the ice, and he just knows what to do....he's always in position, can read what's going on, makes the right decisions on where to go, takes good angles, and when he needs a burst of speed, he finds it.

Pierce was like that too. LT in his later years knew when the game hung in the balance.

From what I understand, some vets, including Tuck, approached Fewell about simplifying the scheme so they wouldn't need to make a zillion reads on every play, and instead, just be able to play football more instinctively. That happened at the halftime of the Bears game.

This is deja vu from 2011.....Fewell simplified the gameplan, the players responded, and the defense got hot and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Don't ask me why Fewell reverted back to his overly complicated schemes in 2012 and 2013. Maybe this time around, it will stick in his block head that players are drafted to play.

I also think Beason has had a huge impact.

One thing in Fewell's favor...even though it had to happen twice is that he can and does listen to voices of reason....Saint Gilbride on the other hand...it would take an amour piercing tank round to blow a hole in that hard head of his...

There's this one dude who is really not in very good shape.....has a beer gut, likes his snacks, etc.

But put him out on the ice, and he just knows what to do....he's always in position, can read what's going on, makes the right decisions on where to go, takes good angles, and when he needs a burst of speed, he finds it.

Pierce was like that too. LT in his later years knew when the game hung in the balance.

If Payless and Herself never make it back to the starting line up because of Beason I sure won't shed any tears... :P

George Martin always tried to get LT into the weight room...LT would say he doesn't have time for that shit....natural animal instinct...and the secret ingredient YaYo... :D

One thing in Fewell's favor...even though it had to happen twice is that he can and does listen to voices of reason....Saint Gilbride on the other hand...it would take an amour piercing tank round to blow a hole in that hard head of his...

I have to admit though, for the past two games Killdrive has gone to short passes instead of trying to air it out every play while Eli gets killed.

I mean, you'd like to see those adjustments BEFORE your team loses six games, but better late than never.

I have to admit though, for the past two games Killdrive has gone to short passes instead of trying to air it out every play while Eli gets killed.

I mean, you'd like to see those adjustments BEFORE your team loses six games, but better late than never.

I hear ya man...and there has been some evidence of that hated word in Giants Land...ADJUSTMENTS...here's hoping it pays off into the future...

I hear ya man...and there has been some evidence of that hated word in Giants Land...ADJUSTMENTS...here's hoping it pays off into the future...

I was listening to Anita Marks on the podcast... and someone calls in and says, "WHY do we keep Myers on the line to block? He's terrible at it!"

She says back to him, "Well, Gilbride's system asks the tight ends to block, so if you get a guy that can't do it, I mean... do you really change your scheme that's been successful to fit one guy when you've had so much success with it?"

To which I replied (to no one), "YES, you stupid bitch! Good coaches change the scheme to FIT THE PLAYER, not the other way around!"

The Giants defense has been stellar for the past three games... now what is different NOW than it was 3 games ago... has there been, maybe, some new player added or a position that's been addressed?

The difference is just amazing.

Will Hill and Jon Beason (to my surprise on Beason). Biggest reasons hands-down.

Terrell Thomas has been playing out of his mind good, too. I've been very impressed with Thomas, he has made some amazing open field tackles.

Rolle has proven a lot to me, too.

Does anyone besides myself think the defense, while not a top 5 like they wanted, has done enough in games we have played to keep them in the game. The offense is shitting the bed and im not sure why this isn't spoken of more.

Does anyone besides myself think the defense, while not a top 5 like they wanted, has done enough in games we have played to keep them in the game. The offense is shitting the bed and im not sure why this isn't spoken of more.

Yes. Even in the earlier games the D was keeping us in them until later in the game, when they'd run out of gas. The O was doing nothing to help.

I was listening to Anita Marks on the podcast... and someone calls in and says, "WHY do we keep Myers on the line to block? He's terrible at it!"

She says back to him, "Well, Gilbride's system asks the tight ends to block, so if you get a guy that can't do it, I mean... do you really change your scheme that's been successful to fit one guy when you've had so much success with it?"

To which I replied (to no one), "YES, you stupid bitch! Good coaches change the scheme to FIT THE PLAYER, not the other way around!"

What a stupid bitch... :russian-roulette2:

I agree that fewell is nowhere near as aggravating as killdrive.....someone needs to send him a memo that every human on earth knows its going to be a corner fade to nicks once they get to the end zone .....and the inability to run his system without multiple delay penalties is insane

That Eagles game shouldn't have been close

I agree that fewell is nowhere near as aggravating as killdrive.....someone needs to send him a memo that every human on earth knows its going to be a corner fade to nicks once they get to the end zone .....and the inability to run his system without multiple delay penalties is insane

That Eagles game shouldn't have been close

Year after year after year. It's infuriating.