SportsWrath

Giants Place Linebacker Dan Connor on Injured Reserve

Mr. P

Giants middle linebacker Dan Connor, who suffered his second burner in as many games this past weekend against Dallas, had hoped this latest injury that had kept him out of practice Wednesday and Thursday, would go away.

“I’m not too concerned,” Connor told reporters after practice today. “I’ve had this in the past, and you get over it. I know when I get out and play, it doesn’t change how I play. If nothing’s wrong we’ll go from there, but it’s just tough watching practice, watching the games.”

Unfortunately, for Connor, who was still holding out hope for Sunday, he’ll have no choice but to watch practices and games from now on as the Giants placed him on injured reserve today.

Head coach Tom Coughlin, when asked about Connor after practice, didn’t sound very optimistic about his starting middle linebacker when it was suggested that burners can be cumulative.

“Makes it very difficult,” he said solemnly. “Guy’s playing linebacker.”

In addition, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell admitted that being down one linebacker this weekend was cause for concern.

“It’s always a problem when you lose a player that is a first-team player, that’s a starter, so yes, that is a problem,” he said.

While it is unlikely that the Giants will use their base defense much this weekend against Denver, the team decided to get a jumpstart on improving their depth at the position when they were awarded former Seahawks linebacker Allen Bradford, off waivers.

Bradford is listed as 5-11, 235 lbs. and is a former high school running back who moved to linebacker at USC under former head coach Pete Carroll. As a rookie, Bradford played running back for the Bucs, who drafted him in the sixth round in 2011. He played in one game, carrying the ball five times for 13 yards before being waived.

He switched to linebacker with the Seahawks, who added him to their practice squad.

In practice squad news, the Giants re-signed wide receiver Marcus Harris, whose practice squad contract had been terminated on Tuesday, and terminated the contract of tackle Steven Baker.

http://insidefootball.com/2013/09/12/giants-place-linebacker-dan-connor-on-injured-reserve/

Oh Joemorrisforprez is going to absolutely loooooovvvveee this guy Bradford that Jerry Reese signed to play LB. Bradford has played RB all throughout college, and all three years he's been in the NFL, until only in the winter of 2011 the Seahawks decided to try him at LB.... and we picked him up off waivers from them before he's even had a chance to play LB. I can see Joemorrisforprez banging his head against the wall right now.

Your weaknesses are often exposed some time in the season. Never seen it in the first week. Maybe its fortunate, there may be time to do something about it.

There is a guy that went to Wake and was a former top five pick... Aaron Curry is his name...we should bring him in for a look

Almost didn't open that. Thought it was gonna was say we were bringing him back. Did see we worked out another first round bust in Aaron Maybin

Everybody who's worth a shit is taken up. Obviously, we should have gotten an NFL caliber player at the position when we had the chance. As I see it, our only options are:

1. Sign Michael Boley and deal with him beating up his kid,

2. Trade one of our 375 defensive tackles for an adequate linebacker, and re-sign Marvin Austin,

3. Settle for whatever shitbackers we picked up off the scrap heap this week.

Knowing Reese, I see us going with door #3.

Gonna be an awful lot of 3 safety sets and using 2 LB's. Hopefully, Cooper is ready to contribute.

It's a bummer that we're going up against Peyton this weekend because he runs a high scoring offense and with our depleted LB crew, we'll have to win games with our offense. I suspect this Sunday's game will run up 70 points or more.

Gonna be an awful lot of 3 safety sets and using 2 LB's. Hopefully, Cooper is ready to contribute.

It's a bummer that we're going up against Peyton this weekend because he runs a high scoring offense and with our depleted LB crew, we'll have to win games with our offense. I suspect this Sunday's game will run up 70 points or more.

With Sash gone and Will Hill suspended, we can pretty much count the 3-safeties thing out.