SportsWrath

Reese needs to re-evaluate his draft strategy

JMFP

No, this isn't going to be a linebacker thread.

Reese has done a mediocre job addressing the offensive line, and next season, he needs to stock the position back up.

Pugh was a good start this season....next year, I'd like to see them go 1-2 on the line, because this team needs help at center, guard, and also needs to think about a successor to Beatty at left tackle.

Enough with the pass rushers and jitterbug WRs......this team needs to rebuild that line, and fast.

Eli Manning is a pocket passer....the Giants can't afford to operate behind a C+ line like teams with mobile QBs.

Carry on.

Beatty just signed a 5 year deal, we can hold off on LT successor right now. Hopefully Baas is back soon.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a guard in 1st or 2nd round.

But I'm not really gonna think about the draft for a while now.

No, this isn't going to be a linebacker thread.

Reese has done a mediocre job addressing the offensive line, and next season, he needs to stock the position back up.

Pugh was a good start this season....next year, I'd like to see them go 1-2 on the line, because this team needs help at center, guard, and also needs to think about a successor to Beatty at left tackle.

Enough with the pass rushers and jitterbug WRs......this team needs to rebuild that line, and fast.

Eli Manning is a pocket passer....the Giants can't afford to operate behind a C+ line like teams with mobile QBs.

Carry on.

Given none of the LBs can tackle or cover....are you saying we should see if any of them can pass protect?

I like where you are going with this Joe.

C. Wgaon

I agree the OL looks like a trouble spot and maybe he needs to spend a few more picks or higher picks there.....but it's not like he hasn't tried at all. Beatty was a #2 in 2009, Brewer a #4 in 2011, Mosley a #4 in 2012 and of course, Pugh a #1 this year. If Mosley & Brewer develop, as it appears Beatty has, the OL picture will look a lot better.

Would be nice if the jets didnt just draft a QB, Im sure for the right offer, theyd part with mangold..but with a young QB, mangold isnt going anywhere.

could we have drafted him? not that it matters, just curious.

Yes, but we traded with Pittsburgh. We took Kiwanuka with the 32nd pick and Guy Whimper with the 129th pick Pittsburgh gave to us for them to select Santonio Holmes. It's also the draft we traded up to get Sinorice Moss. Kiwi has been decent. The three picks after Kiwi were DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson and Rocky McIntosh. We could of also had Chad Greenway in that draft. The Jets took Fergurson and Mangold with two first rounders

I agree the OL looks like a trouble spot and maybe he needs to spend a few more picks or higher picks there.....but it's not like he hasn't tried at all. Beatty was a #2 in 2009, Brewer a #4 in 2011, Mosley a #4 in 2012 and of course, Pugh a #1 this year. If Mosley & Brewer develop, as it appears Beatty has, the OL picture will look a lot better.

I agree, Reese has addressed it in the past. The statistics bear out that if you draft in the early rounds, your chance to start and stick are extremely high relative to later rounds.

Examples: Snee - 2nd; Beatty - 2nd; Pugh - 1st (giving him the benefit of the doubt....I like the kid, and he looks good).

The later you go, the dicier it gets......for example, in the 5th, you can land the next David Diehl....or the next Mitch Petrus.

If the offensive line was solid, I'd be far less concerned. But, I'm not confident in Baas, Mosley, or Brewer at this point, and I'm assuming Pugh is okay, but he's only started one game. Snee is fighting Father Time, and I don't like his long term odds.

When you examine the draft by position, the OL is one of the best "blue chip" picks you can make. In terms of getting bang for the buck, all positions are not created equally. Sure, 1st rounders have a much higher chance of starting and sticking than lower rounds, but certain positions fare better than others.

So, if we are counting on Reese hitting paydirt in the early rounds, the best way to do that is by going OL. As the link below verifies, of the Offensive linemen taken in the top 74 picks .... over 79% are 3 year starters, and over 42% of them are 5 year starters.

Offensive linemen were among the safest picks in the draft and have the highest overall percentage of rookie starters, three-year starters and five-year starters.

http://www.draftmetr...itionMatter.pdf

Speaking of Beatty. He kinda piss me off. The dude was drafted in 2009 and haven't really done shit until his contract year. Now he's only a avg tackle.

Reese pass two season haven't really generated much other than his first season of GM. Other than Nicks, I don't remember any outstanding superstars he drafted.

Speaking of Beatty. He kinda piss me off. The dude was drafted in 2009 and haven't really done shit until his contract year. Now he's only a avg tackle.

Reese pass two season haven't really generated much other than his first season of GM. Other than Nicks, I don't remember any outstanding superstars he drafted.

I think Beatty has come along and is actually pretty good. He might not be top-5, but he's probably the best of the second-tier players at that position.

I think Beatty has come along and is actually pretty good. He might not be top-5, but he's probably the best of the second-tier players at that position.

That service that grades every play and every player lists Beatty as the 8th best Tackle in the NFL. He's under the radar because of the injuries but the guy is a solid OT.

Yeah, no offense, TT, but I don't think I can go to you for any evaluation of the offensive line play. Beatty is a stud LT. He might not be Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady, but he's definitely the next tier, he's a fringe pro-bowl worthy LT. I don't get the criticism.

Yeah, no offense, TT, but I don't think I can go to you for any evaluation of the offensive line play. Beatty is a stud LT. He might not be Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady, but he's definitely the next tier, he's a fringe pro-bowl worthy LT. I don't get the criticism.

Cause we lost.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good LT... i'm pointing out that it took him so long to show something on the field.. not saying it's any fault of his own,, just his first two season was set back and during his contract year that's when he's put out... Stud LT??.. ummm you might be right.. guess i'll have to pay a little more attention to the line than the score.. beer was involved during that game.. lots of it.

I agree with this. I think stud may be a strong word, but he always holds his own.

I'm sure not going to crap on him because Ware beat him once or twice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Beatty handled his shit against Ware for the most part on Sunday. Give me a left tackle that holds down Ware for all but a few snaps all game, I'll take that any day.