SportsWrath

David Diehl expected to miss six weeks

Mr. P

East Rutherford, N.J. -- Giants offensive lineman

David Diehl will undergo surgery this afternoon to repair his unstable right thumb. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Robert Hotchkiss at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.

Diehl practiced yesterday with a cast on his right hand. After an MRI and examination by Dr. Hotchkiss this morning, it was determined the injury required surgical repair.

The expected timeframe for recovering from the surgery is approximately six weeks.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/David-Diehl-expected-to-miss-six-weeks/0f1202ac-59b5-410a-8a60-ea46ed6367fa

No Baas either for the opener, it looks like.

I guess we're going with Beatty - Brewer - Boothe - Snee - Pugh?

That doesn't inspire confidence against the likes of DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliffe. I wonder if it's possible to talk Brandon Moore out of retirement, if he's keeping in shape.

No Baas either for the opener, it looks like.

I guess we're going with Beatty - Brewer - Boothe - Snee - Pugh?

That doesn't inspire confidence against the likes of DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliffe. I wonder if it's possible to talk Brandon Moore out of retirement, if he's keeping in shape.

Good. I happen to believe the team is better with Baas and Diehl off the field.

Thank God, we need David Diehl off the field.

He was getting destroyed by journeymen on Monday. He's one of my favorites, there were a couple years where he was a dominating run blocker at left tackle, but for whatever reason he's not playing as well as he used to. Or... well enough.

I saw Pugh locking guys up. I came away impressed. Cordle concerns me. His snapping consistency is not where it should be. Baas is a good center, Nas. I've watched an awful lot of him and the dude is a pro. Diehl has been awful for a long while now. Hopefully, the poor play was because of the thumb. We will see. But we need Baas desperately, and we are now razor thin at tackle, the Giants may need to make a move.

I saw Pugh locking guys up. I came away impressed. Cordle concerns me. His snapping consistency is not where it should be. Baas is a good center, Nas. I've watched an awful lot of him and the dude is a pro. Diehl has been awful for a long while now. Hopefully, the poor play was because of the thumb. We will see. But we need Baas desperately, and we are now razor thin at tackle, the Giants may need to make a move.

Pretty much sums it up right here.

Pugh had an error here or there, but all in all, for a first game, he was pretty impressive.

Cordle, I think I'd be more comfortable with Beatty-Brewer-Booth-Snee-Pugh with Cordle coming in in the Jumbo packages, but that's just me. I thought that Cordle did better in these two preseason games than what I've seen of him in past years...I'll say that much...but at the same time, that's not saying much given his performance in past years.

As for Diehl, his claim to fame has always been his health and his jack of all trades, master of none approach. Our ability to plug him at LT, LG, C, RG, RT...wherever he's needed...has been HUGELY unrecognized by the vast majority of fans. His versatility and flexibility on the offensive line has likely saved us a roster spot for an extra DB or DL player. Has he lost some ability, certainly. Did he struggle on his own there at RT, certainly. I think he's still quite valuable for this season and maybe even a one year deal for next, but I think his OT playing days are pretty much behind him.

He was getting destroyed by journeymen on Monday. He's one of my favorites, there were a couple years where he was a dominating run blocker at left tackle, but for whatever reason he's not playing as well as he used to. Or... well enough.

Maybe he needs another beer