SportsWrath

Justin Tuck to see time at LB

Sephiroth

http://www.nj.com/gi...me_schemes.html

I don't know about you, but I've always said, "why draft a linebacker when you can play a DE out of position."

They're just trying to different packages... a "Pass rushing LB" is basically a DE if you wanna get down to it. Just like they have the Nascar package, it seems here they're trying to have a package where they load the line with big bodies (all the heavy DTs we got and have faster DEs play "LB" so they can really stop the run in its tracks.... I like it... and I doubt we will see a lot of it as it will be rare.

They're just trying to different packages... a "Pass rushing LB" is basically a DE if you wanna get down to it. Just like they have the Nascar package, it seems here they're trying to have a package where they load the line with big bodies (all the heavy DTs we got and have faster DEs play "LB" so they can really stop the run in its tracks.... I like it... and I doubt we will see a lot of it as it will be rare.

This is the time to try that kind of stuff. Once the season starts, there is no room to experiment.

we're deep on the line and have no talent at LB. i can definitely live with this experiment on some blitz packages

This def won't be so much blitzing as it seems to be geared against the run. And I think we may have a few surprises at LB. Curry is learning the system but he may very well shine... and if one of the 3 young guns shine, we're set... We may not have super stars at LB but they won't suck either.. it's the DBs I'm worried about.

When you are a freshman in college, experimenting with different positions makes sense. A lot of QB's in college become everything from WR's and CB's to TE's.

Once you are in the pros....you stick to the position you've logged thousands of hours in so that your position is second nature and you've learned every little nuance there is to the game.

If the ONLY thing a LB did was rush the passer.....it wouldn't mean a whole lot. But 90% of their time, they are closing gaps, targeting holes, picking up the runner that beat the line, and defending against the short pass. Tuck might get a chance to sack a QB, but he'd look lost actually defending as a LB.

The short of it: dumb move!

When you are a freshman in college, experimenting with different positions makes sense. A lot of QB's in college become everything from WR's and CB's to TE's.

Once you are in the pros....you stick to the position you've logged thousands of hours in so that your position is second nature and you've learned every little nuance there is to the game.

If the ONLY thing a LB did was rush the passer.....it wouldn't mean a whole lot. But 90% of their time, they are closing gaps, targeting holes, picking up the runner that beat the line, and defending against the short pass. Tuck might get a chance to sack a QB, but he'd look lost actually defending as a LB.

The short of it: dumb move!

A dumb move indeed. Nothing like taking the element of surprise out when guessing where the blitz is coming from.

http://www.nj.com/gi...me_schemes.html

I don't know about you, but I've always said, "why draft a linebacker when you can play a DE out of position."

We've got a GM that can't/won't draft an impact LB, and a DC that likes to play 2 linebacker sets, or else play safeties and DEs instead of linebackers.

This is scary to say, but Aaron Curry might be the best hope for the LB unit.

A dumb move indeed. Nothing like taking the element of surprise out when guessing where the blitz is coming from.

If all a LB ever had to do was "blitz", it'd be a great move. Unfortunately, LB's have a whole lot of defensive moves that have nothing whatsoever with going after the QB. They need to be able to read a play instantly and shut the gaps, close holes, fall back on a short pass, etc. If I was the offensive coordinator on the opposing team and saw Tuck in a Linebacker, I would know immediately that he was going to rush around the edge. I'd send a RB, or TE around him and dump a 10 yard pass behind him or send the FB wide and dump a quick pass...and I'd do it every time I saw Tuck lined up where he doesn't belong.

There will be no surprise to anyone if they see Tuck lined up with his hand off the ground. They will exploit it over and over if he's in there for a pass rush situation.