SportsWrath

LB Desmond Bishop comin' mto town?

Treehugger

Desmond Bishop to choose from Chiefs, Giants, Vikings

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: June 21, 2013 at 01:13 p.m.
  • Updated: June 21, 2013 at 04:27 p.m.

After being released by the Green Bay Packers early in the week, linebacker Desmond Bishop quickly paid visits to the Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs. He revealed Thursday night that the New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars and San Francisco 49ers also have expressed interest.

"The Giants and Jacksonville are the next two that are interested," Bishop told SiriusXM NFL Radio Thursday. "Actually, the Niners called but of course, you know, they're kind of set over there. I appreciate their interest in me regardless. But the Giants, which is a real good situation, and Jacksonville as well."

A healthy Bishop would be an upgrade over Mark Herzlich and Dan Connor at middle linebacker for the Giants, but New York is only $3.3 million under the salary cap and have yet to sign first-round draft pick Justin Pugh and fourth-round pick Ryan Nassib.

Bishop insists he's "100 percent" recovered from last year's hamstring surgery.

Although the Jaguars have Paul Posluszny locked in at middle linebacker, Bishop could take over for Geno Hayes on the strong side.

The six-year veteran understands that he will have to settle for a one-year contract to prove he can return to 2011 form.

UPDATE: A source who speaks to Bishop told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Friday that Bishop is deciding between the Chiefs, Giants and Vikings.

I don't see it happening just because we're short on cash, and he's looking for that big pay day. If he'd play for league min, the Giants would probably throw him in the mix to see what he's got. But after sitting out all last year with an injury, I just don't see it happening. Nor do I think it should.

Would like this, he was a key cog in the Packers superbowl run. Apparently Herzlich has been the lesser of two evils, between him and Connor, that's sad.

Agreed. Bishop was a stud on that team and carried them through a lot of injuries. He would be a good Giant.

I don't see it happening just because we're short on cash, and he's looking for that big pay day. If he'd play for league min, the Giants would probably throw him in the mix to see what he's got. But after sitting out all last year with an injury, I just don't see it happening. Nor do I think it should.

I don't see why the Giants should offer the league min for someone who seems to be deserving of more... I don't know much about the guy but from what I read he was a pretty good LB... the Giants can and should make room... I think this one more move.. and a little bit of time for the LB unit to jell and we're cooking...

I don't see why the Giants should offer the league min for someone who seems to be deserving of more... I don't know much about the guy but from what I read he was a pretty good LB... the Giants can and should make room... I think this one more move.. and a little bit of time for the LB unit to jell and we're cooking...

He was a good LB before his serious hamstring injury...known as an "enforcer", great stopping the run and TE's, not so great when flipping to cover receivers.

He had corrective surgery and sat out all last year so it's a gamble that his hamstring is fully healed. Hamstring injuries...especially ones that require surgery...tend to come back over and over. He was due 3Million this year and that's why the Pack cut him. A lot of money tied up in a guy who may or may not be able to stay on the field.

I trust Reese and TC in making a decision of this matter.

He was a good LB before his serious hamstring injury...known as an "enforcer", great stopping the run and TE's, not so great when flipping to cover receivers.

He had corrective surgery and sat out all last year so it's a gamble that his hamstring is fully healed. Hamstring injuries...especially ones that require surgery...tend to come back over and over. He was due 3Million this year and that's why the Pack cut him. A lot of money tied up in a guy who may or may not be able to stay on the field.

I trust Reese and TC in making a decision of this matter.

Yes I agree with Hamstring injuries... having suffered a few pulls myself I can only imagine what an injury that requires surgery feels like.

At this point, Bishop Desmond Tutu would be an upgrade.

desmond-tutu-wcc-photo.jpg?w=460

Everyone knows he's tough, but one has to question his coverage skills and his ability to shed a block. Still, it's possible that he could snatch the starting role from Herzlich.

Good points.....the question is how much does he have left in the tank?......I think Tutu is a stopgap answer at this point in his career.

He might work for a 1-year "show me" type of contract.Might be worth kicking the ventilator on this guy.

I dunno. The guy is not afraid to dish out the punishment. If you're black, he'll punish you. If you're white, he'll punish you. Hell, he'll punish you if you're a woman; if you're gay, he'll punish you.

All joking aside, how awesome would it be to have a real, NFL-caliber linebacker on the team?

wouldn't be even funnier if he joined the ranks of our current crop of LB's and got beat out for a starting position.

We have a lot of guys with something to prove. We have two linebackers who were not only no. 1 draft picks, but in the top ten of their draft class and the first linebackers taken in the draft in 2008 and 2009. Dan Connor wasn't taken in the first round, but was the top MLB in the 2008 draft on virtually every board. Many of us were screaming right here on this board for the Giants to grab him in the first round (we took Kenny Philips instead). And then there was Herzlich of course, who was considered the best linebacker in all of college before he was diagnosed with cancer. The only reason we got him at all was because other teams were afraid to take a chance on him as they didn't know if he would beat it or not...and he has.

So it's not like we are loaded with complete duds that are without athletic ability or the right size. Injuries have come into play....the teams they played for comes into play....the style of defense they were asked to play, etc.

Now we're all drooling over a guy who was a 6th round pick back in 2007, and missed the entire 2012 season after having surgery on his hamstring and played in Green Bay's 3-4 defense so he had 3 other linebackers to cover the receivers while he focused on a runner.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Giants give the guy a shot at little money to see what he's got. But being realistic, every single LB on the current roster is younger than him....he's coming off a major injury and hasn't played football in a year and a half...and he's never played in a 4-3 defense that the Giants use.

I like the fact that his forte is stopping the run game. But when he's the 4th linebacker whose job it is to seek a running back carrying the ball, it's much easier than playing with only 1 other or 2 other linebackers in which you have to be ready to swivel the hips and go after a pass....which was the one area that Green Bay said he came up short. One of the best at slamming a running back, one of the worst in the air game.

Regardless....wouldn't mind giving him a shot. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he had trouble beating out the current starters who require the ability to stop both the run and the pass and be able to immediately adjust to the situation.

BB you gottta look past the top 10 draft pick thing, bro. Both of those dudes sucked against real NFL players.

Both of those dudes were stuck in Cleveland and Cincinnati with coaches that sucked and undisciplined teams with long histories of losing.

A sixth round pick on a well-coached, highly disciplined team like Green Bay helps a player immensely as he is surrounded by other well coached players. By all matters of measure, the linebackers the Giants have drafted in late rounds out performed better players stuck on an Oakland, or a Jacksonville, or a Detroit team.

The point is....the players coming from piss poor teams were the best athletes in their time. But being stuck on a losing team with no discipline and coaches from the bottom of the barrel does not mean that they were never any good or that they don't have anything in the tank.

And like I said...I wouldn't mind having Bishop on our team...I just wouldn't be surprised if he got beat out by some of the players we already have. I am not of the camp that he is sooooo good, that he would automatically be a starter.

Both of those dudes were stuck in Cleveland and Cincinnati with coaches that sucked and have a history of losing.

A sixth round pick on a well-coached, highly disciplined team like Green Bay helps a player immensely as he is surrounded by other well coached players. By all matters of measure, the linebackers the Giants have drafted in late rounds out performed better players stuck on an Oakland, or a Jacksonville, or a Detroit team.

The point is....the players coming from piss poor teams were the best athletes in their time. But being stuck on a losing team with no discipline and coaches from the bottom of the barrel does not mean that they were never any good or that they don't have anything in the tank.

And like I said...I wouldn't mind having Bishop on our team...I just wouldn't be surprised if he got beat out by some of the players we already have. I am not of the camp that he is sooooo good, that he would automatically be a starter.

Yea ... coaching lol.. I'm not sure I'd brag about any of our coaches on the defensive side of the ball lol

Yea ... coaching lol.. I'm not sure I'd brag about any of our coaches on the defensive side of the ball lol

very true! haha

And to Bleedin, Rivers problem has always been staying on the field. And IMO, he doesn't look any better than a guy like Jaquain Williams when he is on the field, either. And still, his problem is staying on the field, even on our team...

very true! haha

And to Bleedin, Rivers problem has always been staying on the field. And IMO, he doesn't look any better than a guy like Jaquain Williams when he is on the field, either. And still, his problem is staying on the field, even on our team...

Both Rivers and Curry are bigger and faster than Bishop. Both Rivers and Curry are better at switching directions when it's a pass play.

And again, I'm not saying that Bishop is bad or that we shouldn't give him a try. But he is slower, older, and coming off a major injury after missing an entire season of football so it amazes me that everyone thinks he is the second coming of Ray Lewis or LT. You criticize Rivers for getting hurt yet can't even acknowledge that Bishop missed the entire season with a major injury and we have no idea how well it has healed after surgery. It's as if you think Bishop's injury is nothing compared to Williams injury. Green Bay seems to think there's enough of a risk to cut him. If he was all that we think he is, I'm pretty sure Green Bay would've kept him on the team. Instead, they have publicly stated that they believe their 6th round pick this year (Nate Palmer) is better suited for replacing Bishop on their linebacker squad. That's some serious warning bells if you ask me.

Its because of the over-emphasis on the linebacker position by NY Giants fans. Everybody on two legs looks better than our current linebackers. I see how Bishop could improve our linebackers but if we had to choose between getting Bishop or Leach, I'll take Leach every single time.

Both Rivers and Curry are bigger and faster than Bishop. Both Rivers and Curry are better at switching directions when it's a pass play.

And again, I'm not saying that Bishop is bad or that we shouldn't give him a try. But he is slower, older, and coming off a major injury after missing an entire season of football so it amazes me that everyone thinks he is the second coming of Ray Lewis or LT. You criticize Rivers for getting hurt yet can't even acknowledge that Bishop missed the entire season with a major injury and we have no idea how well it has healed after surgery. It's as if you think Bishop's injury is nothing compared to Williams injury. Green Bay seems to think there's enough of a risk to cut him. If he was all that we think he is, I'm pretty sure Green Bay would've kept him on the team. Instead, they have publicly stated that they believe their 6th round pick this year (Nate Palmer) is better suited for replacing Bishop on their linebacker squad. That's some serious warning bells if you ask me.