SportsWrath

Steve Smith Retires

Mr. P

steve-smith.jpg

Wide receiver Steve Smith, who signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a free agent in April, announced on Wednesday that he will retire after six seasons in the NFL.

“I’ve been blessed to play the game that I love at the highest level for the past six years," said Smith. "I will always cherish my time with the New York Giants and our Super Bowl victory in 2007. I also want to thank the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers organizations for the opportunities they gave me. This was not an easy decision, but it’s the right decision for me at this time.”

Smith played his first four seasons (2007-11) with the Giants, then spent one year each with the Eagles (2011) and Rams (2012) before signing with the Buccaneers. His tenure with the Giants included a 100-catch season, a trip to the Pro Bowl and a Super Bowl championship.

Smith's career peaked in 2009, when he led the Giants and shattered the team's single-season record with 107 catches, picking up 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns in the process. He capped that campaign with an appearance in the 2010 Pro Bowl. His final season with the Giants was limited to nine games and 48 catches by a knee injury.

The 51st overall pick in the 2007 draft, Smith signed with the Eagles after the 2010 season but was once again limited to nine games by an injury. He signed with the Rams in March of 2012 and, in what would be his final NFL season, recorded 14 catches for 131 yards during nine games of action.

In a total of 46 NFL games, Smith amassed 220 receptions for 2,386 yards and 12 scores. He played his college ball at USC, where he was a first-team All-American in 2006.

http://www.buccaneer...a7-5b650be0e1db

Yeah, the SS story is almost as bad as the Chad Jones story. You have a promising guy who looks like they could be a career difference maker for the Giants and they get derailed by career ending injuries. Only difference is that SS got to taste it for a few years where CJ never got to realize it on the field. I feel equally bad for both guys and wish them nothing but the best.

He might have recovered had he stayed with the Giants............as I recall the Eagles rushed him back on the field with no time to heal properly.........criminal

Yeah this is what I was going to say. Steve Smith should blame no one but Steve Smith for his lost career. As I recall, the Giants were still set to pay him; the Eagles offered more. Had he been a Giant for a few more years, who knows how that rehab would have went and how the rest of his career would have been.