SportsWrath

Best and worst Giants draft picks of all time.

Sephiroth

Here is espn's top 5 giants drafts:

The assignment was to rate the five best Giants draft classes of all time.

This was no easy task. The Giants are a storied franchise with numerous Hall of Famers who span several decades.

There were at least a dozen or more draft classes worthy of being in the argument for the top five, such as 1956 (Sam Huff and Jim Katcavage), 2003 (Osi Umenyiora, David Diehl and David Tyree), 1997 (Ike Hilliard and Tiki Barber) and 2005 (Corey Webster, Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs) just to name a few.

But after agonizing over this long and hard, here are our top five classes:

1. 1984 (Coach: Bill Parcells)

Notables: LB Carl Banks (1), G William Roberts (1), QB Jeff Hostetler (3), LB Gary Reasons (4), WR Lionel Manuel (7).

Skinny: The last linebacker the Giants used a first-round pick on proved to be well worth the price. Members of the Class of ’84 helped the Giants win two Super Bowls. This draft also produced a Super Bowl XXV-winning quarterback in Hostetler. And even though he never played for them, the Giants drafted Hall of Fame tackle Gary Zimmerman in the supplemental draft that year.

2. 1981 (Coach: Ray Perkins)

Notables: LB Lawrence Taylor (1), G Billy Ard (8), LB Byron Hunt (9).

Skinny: Any draft class that produces arguably the greatest defensive player of all time is worth putting up against any other Giants draft in the franchise’s storied history. And the fact that the Giants got L.T. after George Rogers with the second overall pick makes it all the better. Ard and Hunt also were contributors to Super Bowl XXI. This class was voted as champion of Giants.com's "Draft Class Challenge" by fans.

3. 2004 (Coach: Tom Coughlin)

Notables: QB Philip Rivers (1), G Chris Snee (2), LB Reggie Torbor (4), S Gibril Wilson (5).

Skinny: Ernie Accorsi made the blockbuster trade that led to two more Super Bowl trophies for the franchise, acquiring the first pick in the draft and Eli Manning for the fourth pick (Rivers) and picks that resulted in linebacker Shawne Merriman and kicker Nate Kaeding. Snee has been rock solid with four Pro Bowl appearances. Wilson and Torbor were both on the Super Bowl XLII roster.

4. 1993 (Coach: Dan Reeves)

Notables: DE Michael Strahan (2), LB Jessie Armstead (8).

Skinny: The Giants did not own a first-round pick in this draft, yet they struck gold with their initial pick (40th overall) and came away with a future Hall of Famer in Strahan. Strahan led the Giants to two Super Bowls (XXXV and XLII) and was a five-time first-team All-Pro, seven-time Pro Bowler, NFL Defensive Player of the Year and the franchise’s career sacks leader. And with their final pick in the draft, the Giants drafted Armstead, who was a five-time Pro Bowler, four-time All-Pro and started 98 games while helping the Giants reach Super Bowl XXXV.

5. 2007 (Coach: Tom Coughlin)

Notables: CB Aaron Ross (1), WR Steve Smith (2), DT Jay Alford (3), LB/LS Zak DeOssie (4), TE Kevin Boss (5), S Michael Johnson (7), RB Ahmad Bradshaw (7).

Skinny: Jerry Reese’s first draft as GM produced three players who helped the Giants win two Super Bowls (XLII and XLVI), two Pro Bowl selections and the No. 6 all-time rusher in Giants history. Ross contributed to two Super Bowl victories and Smith was clutch in Super Bowl XLII and set the franchise record for most receptions in a season (107 in 2009). Alford had a big sack on Tom Brady in Super Bowl XLII. DeOssie is the special teams captain and has won two Super Bowls and appeared in two Pro Bowls. Boss was the Giants’ starting tight end for three seasons. Johnson started 35 games for the Giants and Bradshaw is one of the franchise’s all-time draft steals. Selected 250th overall, he won two Super Bowls and will be considered as one of the franchise’s toughest players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/24581/top-5-drafts-in-giants-history

Of all of them, I think Dayne made me the angriest. Because most everyone knew he sucked or at the very least, hadn't been tested.

I don't know man, taking Cedric Jones when Ray Lewis, Eddie George and Terry Glenn were still there is a head scratcher. Of course, no one knew what any of them would become.

Don't get the Hostetler choice on the good list. Not that it was a bad pick, and I actually liked it when it happened, but one of the best of all time? Why not someone like David Diehl?

I also feel our teams from the 1970's are under-represented in worst draft picks ever. Gordon King first round?

And I'd add Ian Allen to the worst picks ever, even if we didn't draft him.

I don't know man, taking Cedric Jones when Ray Lewis, Eddie George and Terry Glenn were still there is a head scratcher. Of course, no one knew what any of them would become.

That's the difference. I think most knew Dayne was average at best.

The tragedy of that draft was George Young not knowing Cedric Jones was blind in one eye.

Giants drafts are good as long as they follow these guidelines:

-The RB is NOT from the Big Ten Conference (Dayne, Wheatley, Bunch, Woolfork, Joe Montgomery, Sean Bennett, Bob Torrey, Gordon Bell). Yes, I went back to the 70's because we seriously have NEVER had one successful RB from this conference.

-The player can see out of both eyes (Cedric Jones)

-If the player's last name has an inordinate amount of vowels (Umenyiora, Kiwinuka, Amukamara), the player has the potential to be good

-Draft a USC Cornerback, as long as you're ok with them having three good years, getting a big contract, and followed by them shortly after suffering a career threatening injury (Terrell Thomas, Jason Sehorn)

-Don't draft 3rd rounders from DI-AA schools (Barden Cal-Poly, Jeff Hatch Penn, Shiancoe Morgan St (I know he went on to have a nice career elsewhere) Ron Dixon Lambuth (flash in a pan))

-The player is smart enough to refuse to play for the Chargers

-The player is an LBer NOT picked by Jerry Reese

-You're not a WR at 5'9 or below with Eli Manning at QB

-Player's last name contains the letters 'Manning' (Eli and Mario).

-Player has an unusual first name, such as Jumbo or Pepper

Ike Hilliard was the worse... 7th overall, and the loser couldn't get at least one 1000 yard season. Once, he almost lead the league in drop balls while spending most of the year on IR!!!!!! I was real close of calling him Ike "stone hands" Hilliard. But I was afraid the word "Stone" would suggest he had some kind of durability.

Ike Hilliard was the worse... 7th overall, and the loser couldn't get at least one 1000 yard season. Once, he almost lead the league in drop balls while spending most of the year on IR!!!!!! I was real close of calling him Ike "stone hands" Hilliard. But I was afraid the word "Stone" would suggest he had some kind of durability.

Lol. Didn't Cedric Jones get thumbed in the eye during training camp?

Giants drafts are good as long as they follow these guidelines:

-The RB is NOT from the Big Ten Conference (Dayne, Wheatley, Bunch, Woolfork, Joe Montgomery, Sean Bennett, Bob Torrey, Gordon Bell). Yes, I went back to the 70's because we seriously have NEVER had one successful RB from this conference.

-The player can see out of both eyes (Cedric Jones)

-If the player's last name has an inordinate amount of vowels (Umenyiora, Kiwinuka, Amukamara), the player has the potential to be good

-Draft a USC Cornerback, as long as you're ok with them having three good years, getting a big contract, and followed by them shortly after suffering a career threatening injury (Terrell Thomas, Jason Sehorn)

-Don't draft 3rd rounders from DI-AA schools (Barden Cal-Poly, Jeff Hatch Penn, Shiancoe Morgan St (I know he went on to have a nice career elsewhere) Ron Dixon Lambuth (flash in a pan))

-The player is smart enough to refuse to play for the Chargers

-The player is an LBer NOT picked by Jerry Reese

-You're not a WR at 5'9 or below with Eli Manning at QB

-Player's last name contains the letters 'Manning' (Eli and Mario).

-Player has an unusual first name, such as Jumbo or Pepper

I can't stress that first one enough--you even forgot 1 or 2: George Adams pops immediately into mind.

LOL. There it is, I was getting worried about you, Nem.

I recall reading that it was between two guys at #7, Ike and Tiki. They liked Tiki better, but thought he had a better chance at still being there in the 2nd round, so they went Hilliard at #7.

I think it was Harry Douglas who, when asked at the combine who his favorite receiver is, said "I love me some Ike Hilliard".

And I think all you guys are lying about not being excited about Ron Dayne. I remember the cheers in MSG on draft day, I think most of us thought he had Giants greatness written all over him.

I can't stress that first one enough--you even forgot 1 or 2: George Adams pops immediately into mind.

The failure rate of Big 10 RBs on this team is really rather remarkable, especially when you consider the fact that most of the guys on that list were high draft picks: 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks... .it's not like these guys were late round development prospects, at the time.

LOL. There it is, I was getting worried about you, Nem.

I recall reading that it was between two guys at #7, Ike and Tiki. They liked Tiki better, but thought he had a better chance at still being there in the 2nd round, so they went Hilliard at #7.

I think it was Harry Douglas who, when asked at the combine who his favorite receiver is, said "I love me some Ike Hilliard".

And I think all you guys are lying about not being excited about Ron Dayne. I remember the cheers in MSG on draft day, I think most of us thought he had Giants greatness written all over him.

I liked Ron Dayne when we drafted him. Shit we drafted the ncaa diviision 1 all-time rushing leader. Turned out not to be very good but I liked him when we drafted him and during that rookie season.

I remember watching Dayne during a bowl game... first time I ever saw the guy, and my dad said, "that's the guy the Giants are probably going to draft."

My reply? "He looks fat and slow. Plus, who couldn't run with those holes that line is opening for him."