SportsWrath

Hixon visits Carolina

Treehugger

Apparently Cleveland has some interest too.

Domenik Hixon reportedly will visit Carolina Panthers

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: March 31, 2013 at 08:22 p.m.
  • Updated: March 31, 2013 at 08:43 p.m.

The Carolina Panthers locked down former New York Giants linebacker Chase Blackburn last week. Are they looking toward the Meadowlands for more reinforcements?

The Charlotte Observer reported Sunday that the Panthers will host wide receiver Domenik Hixon on Monday.

Hixon, 28, has played all five of his NFL seasons with the Giants. He played in 13 games last season, finishing with 39 catches for 567 yards and two touchdowns. He sat out the Giants' Week 3 win over the Panthers with a concussion.

The Panthers have two receivers locked into the top of their depth chart in Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell, but Hixon would slide in neatly as a third receiver. Hixon also would give Panthers coach Ron Rivera another option on kickoffs.

Hixon reportedly turned down an offer from the Detroit Lionsat the start of free agency and has since visited with theOakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns, who are said to have "mild interest."

If Hixon lands with the Panthers, he'll essentially trade places with Louis Murphy, the former Pantherswideout who signed a one-year contract with the Giants earlier this month.

Probably because he kicked the shit out of them this season.

I wish we had experimented a little bit more with that look instead of forcing Nicks on the field to be ineffective. Even with Nicks healthy early in the season, I wish we had experimented more with Ramses Barden.

I wish we had experimented a little bit more with that look instead of forcing Nicks on the field to be ineffective. Even with Nicks healthy early in the season, I wish we had experimented more with Ramses Barden.

He was the smallest guy on the field.. played small despite his size. Good riddance.

He was the smallest guy on the field.. played small despite his size. Good riddance.

Yet the one time he was on the field and got legitimate chances to produce, he did.

Personally, I'm about ready to say good riddance to Victor Cruz. What an overinflated sense of worth that guy has. I've gotten to the point where I fully believe that he ends up playing this season at the tender and either gets tagged, injured and falls out of the league, or not resigned by the Giants. This would all be beneficial to us.

Yet the one time he was on the field and got legitimate chances to produce, he did.

Personally, I'm about ready to say good riddance to Victor Cruz. What an overinflated sense of worth that guy has. I've gotten to the point where I fully believe that he ends up playing this season at the tender and either gets tagged, injured and falls out of the league, or not resigned by the Giants. This would all be beneficial to us.

He had a stupendous season followed by a very good season even when people were keying on him. And, he's the type of receiver whose skills you cannot draft readily. In the NFL, you usually get one big contract. I can't deny anyone that.

He had a stupendous season followed by a very good season even when people were keying on him. And, he's the type of receiver whose skills you cannot draft readily. In the NFL, you usually get one big contract. I can't deny anyone that.

When I saw that he wants more guaranteed money than Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, and Danny Amendola combined, it's gotten kind of sickening. He's holding them hostage at this point and the Giants will have to respond accordingly. Cruz is going to have to hope he has another stupendous season.

When I saw that he wants more guaranteed money than Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, and Danny Amendola combined, it's gotten kind of sickening. He's holding them hostage at this point and the Giants will have to respond accordingly. Cruz is going to have to hope he has another stupendous season.

I think Cruz ends up signing the tender and being UFA next year. Giants will do their due diligence and work on a deal throughout the year, but if that doesn't happen, I don't see the Giants tagging him next season. The Giants haven't been the team to tag a guy just to keep him in house for one more year.

I also think that it's possible that the Giants give more of a focus to the TE, Randle, and Nicks this year...essentially forcing Cruz to have a lesser impact, and driving down his cost. It'd be a shitty way of doing business, but yeah, I wouldn't put it past ANY team to do it.

I think you get to play based on what you show in the practice field. He got a shot when he was featured... meaning when others were hurt and unable to perform... but competing with them, he sure took a back seat.

As far as Cruz, I'm not mad at the guy... I love Cruz.. and while his dragging his feet to sign the offer the Giants has for him is getting under my skin, I have to keep in mind it's a business and I can't fault the guy for keeping his options open. Having said that, I expect our WR corp to be Nicks, Randle and Cruz for years to come. I'd be surprised if the Giants don't lock up Nicks this summer.

Yep, I'm in total disagreement with Gmen as to what I think Cruz will do. He'd be stupid to pass on that much guaranteed money in favor of one year tender.

yeah it's a risk for sure, especially when you go over the middle as much as he does. he took some brutal hits last year that im surprised he got up from

I don't think it's the bad... it's not really how hard the hit is so much as where the hit goes... and smaller players tend to suffer less pain as we tend to "bounce".

yeah he's tough as shit. i just remember like two hits where the slow mo replays showed his face on the hits and he looked out before he hit the ground. i was SURE he had a concussion on one hit in the end zone (i forgot against who) and he only missed one play. it was ridiculous

at the end of the day he's just a slot receiver. we can pick someone up and get 75% of cruz's 1000 yards for pennies

Exactly, he replaced Smith and somebody will replace him. He's good but not #1 money good.