SportsWrath

Osi visits Falcons

Treehugger

Osi Umenyiora reportedly on Atlanta Falcons' wish list

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: March 22, 2013 at 04:02 p.m.
  • Updated: March 22, 2013 at 05:21 p.m.

The Atlanta Falcons have been looking for a pass rusher ever since parting ways with John Abraham. How about Osi Umenyiora?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Friday the Falcons are making a "strong push" to sign the free-agent edge rusher before the end of weekend.

Umenyiora, 31, visited the Falcons on Wednesday and took a physical on Thursday.

With the Miami Dolphins also reportedly intrigued by the defensive end, Umenyiora finally is generating some interest. But with Elvis Dumervil, Dwight Freeney and Abraham still on the open market, he isn't going to make the money he hoped for.

Atlanta makes plenty of sense as a landing spot. Umenyiora is three years younger than Abraham and would make for a solid pairing with Kroy Biermann. It also would give Osi the chance to play for a contender, but the Falcons aren't about to break the bank to make that happen.

Osi wanna play for a contender??? WTF are the giants? Yes our team did not make the playoff last year but no one is sleeping on us Giants.

I believe he will perform great in the Atlanta defense.

The Giants don't want him...he thinks he's Strahan-like.. I think he sucks.

And he can run past the QB ....not stop the run... and oh maybe get two to three strip sacks for them in one game... while we put a more disciplined rusher ...who perhaps can an least influence the run against every now and then...who is not a locker room cancer...and/or thinks he is the reincarnation of Reggie White or Strahan... Its addition by subtraction...something the Giants do very well. :)

In fairness, it was the writer, not Osi who alluded to "playing for a contender".

Agreed. Plus I don't think it's implying the Giants are not a contender, just that the Falcons are. My understanding is that Osi isn't coming back to the Giants, so if he's going to go else where he'd prefer to be on a contender.

Osi has said from early on that he believes he's a starter in this league. He's got stats to back that up. He wants to start and I don't blame or fault him for it.

At the same time, I don't think he's better than JPP or Tuck because of his rush up the field to have the play made underneath him, his inconsistency at times against the run, etc. And because he was the 3rd best DE on our team, the Giants were perfectly in the right in letting him go. He was a luxury as a 3rd DE and while it seems like turning the screws to a guy, the Giants were well within their right of keeping him until his contract expired.

I do think that Osi has an inflated opinion of himself, but I don't know that that is all that uncommon at the NFL level.

Osi has said from early on that he believes he's a starter in this league. He's got stats to back that up. He wants to start and I don't blame or fault him for it.

At the same time, I don't think he's better than JPP or Tuck because of his rush up the field to have the play made underneath him, his inconsistency at times against the run, etc. And because he was the 3rd best DE on our team, the Giants were perfectly in the right in letting him go. He was a luxury as a 3rd DE and while it seems like turning the screws to a guy, the Giants were well within their right of keeping him until his contract expired.

I do think that Osi has an inflated opinion of himself, but I don't know that that is all that uncommon at the NFL level.

His clean uniform at the end of games always got on my nerves.... the fact that he was a liability against the run ticked me off to no end. Good riddance.

My guess is the Giants move Kiawanuka back to full time DE and he's an upgrade from Osi.

My sentiment exactly and since Tuck seems to be more effective at DT, I expect him to play far more DT than DE.... of course he needs to get in shape. Seeing him winded time and again was tough to see.

My sentiment exactly and since Tuck seems to be more effective at DT, I expect him to play far more DT than DE.... of course he needs to get in shape. Seeing him winded time and again was tough to see.

:confused:

I don't think that at all. I think Tuck is far better at DE, and only moves into the DT spot in obvious passing situations. At DE, when healthy, Tuck is a very good combo DE. At DT, he's a liability against the run to put it lightly. But his quickness gives him an advantage against interior linemen when they are pass protecting.

:confused:

I don't think that at all. I think Tuck is far better at DE, and only moves into the DT spot in obvious passing situations. At DE, when healthy, Tuck is a very good combo DE. At DT, he's a liability against the run to put it lightly. But his quickness gives him an advantage against interior linemen when they are pass protecting.

I don't know, Jim... I'm afraid we're living on Tuck-in-his-prime... he's been sucking wind for 2 years now.. whether it's age or just wildly out of shape I don't know... but I don't think he's that good... till proven otherwise.

Maybe tuck is just fighting injury. Especially neck injury is one of those nagging pain in the ass that's hard to play with.

I wish Osi luck in A T L. At least Matt Byan won't be scared of getting strip no more....

I'm not sure it's injury anymore... It's been 2 years now and I just think he's out of shape... period.

I'm not sure it's injury anymore... It's been 2 years now and I just think he's out of shape... period.

Not just that, but his body language is bad. At times it almost looks like he's not into playing football.