SportsWrath

Schefter: Cruz won't get offer sheet

Mr. P

The odds have always been in favor of the Giants keeping Victor Cruz around for at least this year.

We've been saying it for a while now and so has our man Adam Schefter. Now, the ESPN NFL insider wants people to know exactly how remote of a chance it is that Cruz will receive an offer sheet from another team by April 19, the deadline for teams to make a restricted free agent a contract offer.

Schefter tweeted on Thursday: "Strong belief: There's as much chance a team will sign Victor Cruz to offer sheet as there is one will deal for Tim Tebow. Neither happening."

There you have it. Look, it's pretty simple. if any team wants to try to pry Cruz away from the Giants, they have to make a lucrative contract offer to the receiver -- likely north of $8 or $9 million a year -- and part with a first-round pick in this year's draft. That is a steep price even for a receiver as talented and marketable as Cruz.

The Giants have the right to match any offer after tendering Cruz with a first-round RFA tender. If no team offers Cruz, he can sign his tender ($2.879 million for this season) and play out the season and become an unrestricted free agent. The Giants, though, could designate the franchise tag on Cruz.

So expect Cruz's camp to work on a long-term extension this year with the Giants. Eli Manning certainly hopes Cruz's new agent, Tom Condon, will be able to keep Cruz around for a long time. After all, Condon is Manning's agent as well.

Of course, the Giants will have to find money to extend Cruz and wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, who is entering the final year of his deal. But at least they likely will not have to decide whether to try to match a big deal for Cruz.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/23792/schefter-cruz-wont-get-offer-sheet

id love to have both long term, but hopefully randle shows more this year to ease the pain of whoever we have to lose.

football business a hard business for players..... so they can give Cruz 2.5 million this year then Tag him next season??.. the guy better pray he don't suffer any injuries... at least the Tag is top money..

I thought our tender would be for 6 million? I'm confused....otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed to find a team that couldn't squeeze a 3 million dollar deal in for this year, work on an extension for him over the course of this season. They'd still be giving up a 1st but it seems to me that the 1st isn't what's holding teams back...it's what Vic wants long-term....

I thought our tender would be for 6 million? I'm confused....otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed to find a team that couldn't squeeze a 3 million dollar deal in for this year, work on an extension for him over the course of this season. They'd still be giving up a 1st but it seems to me that the 1st isn't what's holding teams back...it's what Vic wants long-term....

Of course the 1st is what is holding teams back. If there was no first involved, he'd definitely have offers. Nobody wants to lose a first round pick that they can sign for a four or five year deal, for the opportunity to sign a guy on a 1 year deal who may or may not sign long term. The GM that would do that should be fired.

Of course the 1st is what is holding teams back. If there was no first involved, he'd definitely have offers. Nobody wants to lose a first round pick that they can sign for a four or five year deal, for the opportunity to sign a guy on a 1 year deal who may or may not sign long term. The GM that would do that should be fired.

See, I disagree and I don't understand why teams don't take a chance. I'd trust that my GM can get a deal done. You have a proven commodity that you're going to be paying only marginally more per year than a first round pick compared to a crapshoot.

Yet you'll see teams throw away the next 4 years for Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell.

See, I disagree and I don't understand why teams don't take a chance. I'd trust that my GM can get a deal done. You have a proven commodity that you're going to be paying only marginally more per year than a first round pick compared to a crapshoot.

Yet you'll see teams throw away the next 4 years for Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell.

If they offered only marginally more per year than a first round pick the giants would match.

If they offered only marginally more per year than a first round pick the giants would match.

I mean that first round picks make 6 million per year without doing anything in the NFL.

I mean that first round picks make 6 million per year without doing anything in the NFL.

not with the rookie wage scale.

Andrew Luck's contract was for 4years 22mil. That's for the no.1 overall pick and qb.

not with the rookie wage scale.

Andrew Luck's contract was for 4years 22mil. That's for the no.1 overall pick and qb.

That's over 5 million a season. Top ten all average around 4. I don't consider a couple million more than that for a proven WR to be a bad investment, I guess.

collusion! seattle gave up a 1st round pick AND other picks AND an extension for percy harvin. no one has made a 1st round tender offer since the skins took coles from the jets ten years ago. i think that's fishy

collusion! seattle gave up a 1st round pick AND other picks AND an extension for percy harvin. no one has made a 1st round tender offer since the skins took coles from the jets ten years ago. i think that's fishy

Coles would have been a star on that team, too, if Joe Gibbs wasn't busy setting the Skins offense back 3 decades............

Cruz is worth any first rounder but a top 8 pick, in my opinion.

From the chatter and everything we've read, Cruz is worth a little above $6M a year.. let's assume the Giants offered him that much... say $7M a year for the sake of argument... Cruz thinks he can get more... the tender amount I think is set by the league... so a team that would sign Cruz would have to beat the Giants' offer... AND give up their first rounder on top of it. Who would do that?

And the deal is, if Cruz plays for the tender price - $2.9M, he becomes an UNRESTRICTED Free Agent at the end of the season. Hope we sign him long term, so we're not going through these same negotiations this time next year.

From the chatter and everything we've read, Cruz is worth a little above $6M a year.. let's assume the Giants offered him that much... say $7M a year for the sake of argument... Cruz thinks he can get more... the tender amount I think is set by the league... so a team that would sign Cruz would have to beat the Giants' offer... AND give up their first rounder on top of it. Who would do that?

Uhhhh, one of the like 27 other teams that shit the bed during the draft every year. The only teams that have draft picks that have even a slight possibility of panning out to have the impact of a Cruz are teams like the Steelers, Patriots, and Giants. Teams who know what they are doing in the draft. The others are morons for not giving up their 1st for Cruz.