SportsWrath

Possible way to fill Giants' roster?

Sephiroth

Is it possible that the players to fill the new holes on the roster... are already on the roster?

Let's take a look:

Chris Canty: I've never been a big fan of Canty since day one, as the guy has always played next to A+ type players (DeMarcus Ware, Osi Umenyiora/JPP, etc) and never been able to provide more than B, B- play. Marcus Kuhn was looking like the light was going on for him right before the injury, and if Shaun Rogers can stay healthy, he's a legitimate run-stopper. I really feel like either of those two guys can step in at a cheap price and give you at least 90% of what Canty did (check out the New Orleans and Washington games if you'd like to see Canty really getting pushed around).

Ahmad Bradshaw: if he's not picked up by the time the season starts I could actually see him back on the roster. That being said, it's tough to be a running back when you miss every practice and have two broken feet. David Wilson is going to give you the "boom or bust" type runs that Barber used to for this team, and if Brown can stay healthy... well, that's not a bad 1-2 punch. However, let's not forget that Ryan Torain is still young and has been a serviceable back in this league, and at this time last year all of us were gushing about the potential of Da'Rell Scott, who is actually faster and bigger than Wilson. I really feel like we'll be fine here.

Michael Boley - this is the one area I don't see us building from within. If Mark Herzlich can take the spot in the middle, it's possible that Blackburn could move to the outside. I don't see a Spencer Paysinger manning that spot right now. Keith Rivers is a possibility at the right price, but he's another guy that's hurt all the time.

Osi Umenyiora - I've loved Osi, but it's his time to go. However, after the preseasons of Adrian Tracy and Adewale Ojomo, you'd have to think one of them would be able to step up and provide the level of pressure that Osi did last year (6 sacks isn't a tough mark to gain in spot duty). At 6'4" and 270, you'd think Ojomo would be more of a run stuffer, but he's definitely shown the ability to rush the passer as well. Tracy seems to fit the Osi type better at 6'2" 245, and has shown flashes that he could be a legitimate speed rusher. I'd love to see a roster battle between these two guys in training camp.

Honestly, I think the problems on our O-line are going to be worse than anything that's happened at those four positions.

Honestly, I think the problems on our O-line are going to be worse than anything that's happened at those four positions.

That about says it all. I'm really concerned with the offensive line.

The easy answer is to make a play for Jake Long, but Will Beatty is the best player on the offensive line right now, and I think he's only good on the left side. Long would be an upgrade, but would leave just as many holes on the line as there are today. So.... to the bargain bin for us. Hopefully Reese can find a couple more Locklears and maybe another Diehl in the draft.

That about says it all. I'm really concerned with the offensive line.

The easy answer is to make a play for Jake Long, but Will Beatty is the best player on the offensive line right now, and I think he's only good on the left side. Long would be an upgrade, but would leave just as many holes on the line as there are today. So.... to the bargain bin for us. Hopefully Reese can find a couple more Locklears and maybe another Diehl in the draft.

i was hoping for this.. but Long will be asking for so much that i don't think it's reasonable to accept. Also we're making all these cuts so that we can maintain our two top WR. Let's hope the guys we have on the line can hold up. I seriously hope we can pick up a top notch Linemen, a Guard or anything that can pan out. Petrius was in my eyes the next guy to take over, guess that ain't happening.

Is it possible that the players to fill the new holes on the roster... are already on the roster?

Let's take a look:

Chris Canty: I've never been a big fan of Canty since day one, as the guy has always played next to A+ type players (DeMarcus Ware, Osi Umenyiora/JPP, etc) and never been able to provide more than B, B- play. Marcus Kuhn was looking like the light was going on for him right before the injury, and if Shaun Rogers can stay healthy, he's a legitimate run-stopper. I really feel like either of those two guys can step in at a cheap price and give you at least 90% of what Canty did (check out the New Orleans and Washington games if you'd like to see Canty really getting pushed around).

Ahmad Bradshaw: if he's not picked up by the time the season starts I could actually see him back on the roster. That being said, it's tough to be a running back when you miss every practice and have two broken feet. David Wilson is going to give you the "boom or bust" type runs that Barber used to for this team, and if Brown can stay healthy... well, that's not a bad 1-2 punch. However, let's not forget that Ryan Torain is still young and has been a serviceable back in this league, and at this time last year all of us were gushing about the potential of Da'Rell Scott, who is actually faster and bigger than Wilson. I really feel like we'll be fine here.

Michael Boley - this is the one area I don't see us building from within. If Mark Herzlich can take the spot in the middle, it's possible that Blackburn could move to the outside. I don't see a Spencer Paysinger manning that spot right now. Keith Rivers is a possibility at the right price, but he's another guy that's hurt all the time.

Osi Umenyiora - I've loved Osi, but it's his time to go. However, after the preseasons of Adrian Tracy and Adewale Ojomo, you'd have to think one of them would be able to step up and provide the level of pressure that Osi did last year (6 sacks isn't a tough mark to gain in spot duty). At 6'4" and 270, you'd think Ojomo would be more of a run stuffer, but he's definitely shown the ability to rush the passer as well. Tracy seems to fit the Osi type better at 6'2" 245, and has shown flashes that he could be a legitimate speed rusher. I'd love to see a roster battle between these two guys in training camp.

Of all these guys mentioned, I don't see Ahmad Bradshaw rejoining the team. I think Reese expects Wilson to play a larger role this season, and I don't think he trusts Gilbride to do that as long as Bradshaw is on the team. I think that Baltimore game played a major role in the decision.

Like you mentioned Da'Rel Scott was a promising RB before the Wilson pick....I think it's time for Wilson, Brown, and Scott to have a chance.

Of all these guys mentioned, I don't see Ahmad Bradshaw rejoining the team. I think Reese expects Wilson to play a larger role this season, and I don't think he trusts Gilbride to do that as long as Bradshaw is on the team. I think that Baltimore game played a major role in the decision.

Like you mentioned Da'Rel Scott was a promising RB before the Wilson pick....I think it's time for Wilson, Brown, and Scott to have a chance.

Holy fuck how did I forget about Scott :doh:

I agree...I believe Reese was chewing carpets last season watching first Wilson then Brown being denied carries for the no longer consistent Mr. Brokefeet...He knows Coughlin will not nudge his coordinators...and I think Reese has an understanding of just what the Giants have at the coordinator positions so he as you write is taking personnel decisions almost completely out of their hands this upcoming season. You're going to have to play the rookies and free agents I bring aboard because I am removing your false security blankets. That this started way back in 93 when Simms got shit canned for Brown...in retrospect I support the intestinal fortitude it took to make that decision...too bad it was for a sack of shit like Brown rather than for an elite talent like an Eli though. With Bradshaw not there ...there can be no more of this bullshit about lack of pass protection abilities or the Dreaded Third Down Statue of Liberty/Draw Play that Bradshaw in his prime could make work ...but in his decline usually resulted in negative yardage... :clap:

I agree...I believe Reese was chewing carpets last season watching first Wilson then Brown being denied carries for the no longer consistent Mr. Brokefeet...He knows Coughlin will not nudge his coordinators...and I think Reese has an understanding of just what the Giants have at the coordinator positions so he as you write is taking personnel decisions almost completely out of their hands this upcoming season. You're going to have to play the rookies and free agents I bring aboard because I am removing your false security blankets. That this started way back in 93 when Simms got shit canned for Brown...in retrospect I support the intestinal fortitude it took to make that decision...too bad it was for a sack of shit like Brown rather than for an elite talent like an Eli though. With Bradshaw not there ...there can be no more of this bullshit about lack of pass protection abilities or the Dreaded Third Down Statue of Liberty/Draw Play that Bradshaw in his prime could make work ...but in his decline usually resulted in negative yardage... :clap:

Exactly.

There's simply too much emotional baggage involved in bringing him back, cutting his salary, and demoting him. And that assumes Gilbride can break his old habits, too.....and judging from that Ravens game, Gilbride still has visions of 2007 dancing in his head.

Frankly, I see Bradshaw having a much better season, and ultimately a longer career, with another team.

A club like Green Bay would be a perfect fit for him as a 3rd down back.

Ahh. Great point guys. I guess it's one of those things where a GM do their job and a coach do theirs( to coach). I'm sure old Tom is one stubborn man.

I think Reese realizes that right now it's his time to remake the team. Once the regular season begins, he's left with watching to see what the coaching staff does.

The way I see it, Reese took away Gilbride's crack pipe.

I don't think Reese has to beat around the Bush to get rookies like Wilson on the field... as a GM he can at least nudge his coaches to play certain guys.. and when they say he hasn't learned this or that.. he can say "Ok, you got 2 weeks".

I think Reese realizes that right now it's his time to remake the team. Once the regular season begins, he's left with watching to see what the coaching staff does.

The way I see it, Reese took away Gilbride's crack pipe.

:LMAO: Exactly...and depending on the draft maybe Fewell's feel good bong/water pipe as well...

I don't think Reese has to beat around the Bush to get rookies like Wilson on the field... as a GM he can at least nudge his coaches to play certain guys.. and when they say he hasn't learned this or that.. he can say "Ok, you got 2 weeks".

Nah Man...that's not how the Giants work...Coughlin would bridle at what he would see as micromanagement... :P You know the Giants...Owners own...GM's manage...and the Coaches coach...

You've never watched the Giants in the last 15 years of so have you?

. I don't think it works that way. Old Tom is one of those stubborn head headed type of guy. You get fine for coming less than 5 minute early. Think about it. Tom has his way of doing things and no one can challenge him with two rings for credibility. Reese knows this and his only play is to get rid of guys before they expire. It's best for both party. One other teams still see a productive season and hire them. Two giants can start early on future players. Reese isn't a bad guy, he's thinking of the team and no ONE player is above it. And I like the way he's doing it.