SportsWrath

Giants Re-sign Defensive Tackle Shaun Rogers

Mr. P

A day after releasing Chris Canty as part of a salary cap purge, the Giants have re-signed 13-year veteran Shaun Rogers, who last year spent the season on injured reserve with a blood clot in his leg, to a reported one-year veteran minimum deal.

Rogers originally joined the Giants on April 26, 2012. He started the preseason opener in Jacksonville, but soon experienced swelling in his calf which was later diagnosed as a blood clot in his leg, a condition that landed him on injured reserve on Aug. 31.

Prior to joining the Giants, Rogers played in 156 regular-season games with 128 starts for Detroit (7 seasons), Cleveland (3) and New Orleans (1). He also played in two postseason games.

The is 6-4 and 350 pounds Rogers has recorded 602 tackles (404 solo), 37.5 sacks, 27 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, nine fumble recoveries, and an interception he returned 66 yards for a touchdown in 2007 over his career.

He has also blocked 14 field goal attempts and was a two-time Pro Bowl starter on the NFC team in 2004 and 2005, and a reserve on the AFC team in 2008.

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5863

ralph v posted this on twitter:

Why did the Giants bring back DT Shaun Rogers? For some clarity, look at what tom Coughlin said about him when ...

... the Giants found out back in August that a blot clot in his leg would likely end his season. Coughlin called it "very sad," then added "Do you know the real story?"

"“He lost 50 pounds,” Coughlin said that day. “He went from, like, high 380s to 334 to check in at (at the start of camp). He was really excited to be a part of this team, he got along really well with our defensive linemen. He actually asked to go play some more snaps the other night (in the preseason opener in Jacksonville), which I thought was really neat. It’s just a shame. ... It’s a sad thing.”

I'd still like to bring in another FA DT and draft a DT like Kawann Short or Shariff Floyd. We were really pathetic in the trenches against the run last year, mainly due to DT and LB. Plus, Rogers and Joseph have only 1 yr on their contracts, and Joseph has been just ehhh.

It's february. of course we will bring in other competition.

Who?

Marvin Austin 2nd Round pick from North Carolina in the 2011 Draft 6-1 305

Marcus Kuhn 7th round pick from NC State in the 2012 NFL draft 6-4 310

Kuhn has flashed some ability, Austin has all the talent in the world to be a physically imposing pass rushing DT but hasn't shown a single flash yet in the NFL. Injurys and Suspension in 2010 have caused a huge stunt in his growth. The high risk high reward flag is showing its risk right nowZ

damn 14 fgs attempts that's ridiculous

That is ridiculous. He's worth the small price just in case he finds some of the old form. The Giants are going through a mini rebuild right now. We're up against the cap and quite frankly a lot of our core talent is getting old or just plain ineffective. This is going to be a huge draft and free agency for Reese.

I guess. Gotta wonder how much tread is left on the tire, though.

For a well rested back up... a lot. Look at Rocky Bernard... warms the bench for hours and when he finally sees the field he's making a lot of noise.

It's a good depth move if for nothing else. I don't think this eliminates the need to draft a DT in the first or second round in April.

I will say one thing about the Giants...they give their injured guys every chance in the world to get back to playing level.

T2, Chad Jones, Shaun Rogers

It's february. of course we will bring in other competition.

Definitely I think Reese will draft a DT in the first four rounds, but even if he does, I still think he needs to bring in another FA DT. Remember we're also losing Rocky Bernard (I presume Reese won't resign him, he's no good).

That is ridiculous. He's worth the small price just in case he finds some of the old form. The Giants are going through a mini rebuild right now. We're up against the cap and quite frankly a lot of our core talent is getting old or just plain ineffective. This is going to be a huge draft and free agency for Reese.

+1

Marvin Austin 2nd Round pick from North Carolina in the 2011 Draft 6-1 305

Marcus Kuhn 7th round pick from NC State in the 2012 NFL draft 6-4 310

Kuhn has flashed some ability, Austin has all the talent in the world to be a physically imposing pass rushing DT but hasn't shown a single flash yet in the NFL. Injurys and Suspension in 2010 have caused a huge stunt in his growth. The high risk high reward flag is showing its risk right nowZ

Again, who?